Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

re: washable filters: tell me why they are awful

Personally I have always used standard media in my furnace, but that is not what this post is about.

It seems to be a consensus here that washable filters are awful.

Ok. But I want to understand as many reasons why they are awful in comparison to other media.

1. Do they increase pressure drop? Is the airflow decreased through the filter? is this have to do with a non-pleated surface area?
    2. How often are these filters cleaned in comparison to the standard 3 month for media.?
    3. I have read here that degrade over time. how does this happen?
    4. are advertised MERV values inflamed?

tell me some other reasons why these things are awful.
    thanks
    -mtbike

Homeowners don't wash them as often as needed, they are too coarse to effectively filter the air.

they sell them to save you money, reality they cost you money!

They only stop birds from going thru your unit !

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    along with the air!

Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    Pepsi all over my monitor.
    That was good!

Hmm, I've read on these boards that the thin ones that come in Rheem furneys clean the air better'n the cheapie fiberglass ones. That untrue? And when you consider the manu's don't really like the paper pleated ones, cuz they're so restrictive... I don't have a prob with washables.

there are 2kinds of washable filters the metal mesh ones and the plastic mesh ones and the metal one is worthless and the plastic one are very restrictive.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rChris View Post
    Hmm, I've read on these boards that the thin ones that come in Rheem furneys clean the air better'n the cheapie fiberglass ones. That untrue? And when you consider the manu's don't really like the paper pleated ones, cuz they're so restrictive... I don't have a prob with washables.
    actually those rheem ones i like, approved by the mfg. the ones from the box stores don't like!

Your talking about the ones that come with the units they are ok . I was referring to the electrostatic washable filters.

If you really have any inclination at all about getting the right type of filter for your system, have a pro come out to evaluate your static pressure, and ask him if he can fit in a Honeywell, Air Bear or April Air media air cleaner to your system.
    Don't waste your time with an electronic air cleaner, or washable filter.
    Get a good media air cleaner, and you'll never need your coil cleaned if you change the media when needed.
    Keep in mind, the filter is not there to clean the air in your home. It's there to protect the equipment from dirt and dust.
    If you have special needs for indoor air quality, there are whole house air cleaning systems for that job.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Quote Originally Posted by rChris View Post
    And when you consider the manu's don't really like the paper pleated ones, cuz they're so restrictive...
    I really, really have a problem with this statement

It's like saying all small cars ride terrible. I've been in some Beemers (small car to me) that ride great!

Size does matter!

The reason "some" manufacturers state pleats are toooo restrictive is because MOST installations returns and filters are undersized. So yes pleats in those conditions are too restrictive, put in poly or fiberglass.

Most professionals CAN design a system where 1" pleats are not restrictive ( for residential).

ASHRAE does have guidelines on filter loading and performance.

Size does matter...

Or use 4" pleats.
    Now I am off my soap box... necermind.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

I have been using an electrostatic air filter for over 10 years. As long as it is cleaned monthly I have no problems. It does as advertized.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast