Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wholehouse Air Cleaners - Lennox PureAir, Lennox hepa-60, Trane True Clean Effects

I have sever asthma and I want to install a whole house air cleaner, i have a new home and my furnace can support it.

So I was confused which one would give me the best chance of reducing my asthma symptons. I was leaning towards pureair, however, i am not sure if a pure hepa is better or this.

Background: Bad asthma certain months, live in houston, take steroid and nebulizers, go to dry place in india polluted but no asthma

- Foam Insullatiation House - Roof and 4 sides - Tight House
    - 2 Furnaces - upstairs and downlstairs
    - merv 10 filter in house already -
    - bought 3 dehumidifiers will run in the house - to see how much this helps
    - Live in houston so humid.

Any help in selecting whole house air cleaner would be amazing, I do not have extra money but I can afford it since the main thing is to get off all my medicine.

I do not know how to explain, but when I go to a try place (India), they also do not have much grass, trees or plants (Less pollen which I am allergic I believe). I go from taking lots of medicine to none, so it seems that if I control the air and humidity then I might be able to make it work. Thanks for your help in advance.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by victor123 View Post
    I have sever asthma and I want to install a whole house air cleaner, i have a new home and my furnace can support it.

So I was confused which one would give me the best chance of reducing my asthma symptons. I was leaning towards pureair, however, i am not sure if a pure hepa is better or this.

Background: Bad asthma certain months, live in houston, take steroid and nebulizers, go to dry place in india polluted but no asthma

- Foam Insullatiation House - Roof and 4 sides - Tight House
    - 2 Furnaces - upstairs and downlstairs
    - merv 10 filter in house already -
    - bought 3 dehumidifiers will run in the house - to see how much this helps
    - Live in houston so humid.

Any help in selecting whole house air cleaner would be amazing, I do not have extra money but I can afford it since the main thing is to get off all my medicine.

I do not know how to explain, but when I go to a try place (India), they also do not have much grass, trees or plants (Less pollen which I am allergic I believe). I go from taking lots of medicine to none, so it seems that if I control the air and humidity then I might be able to make it work. Thanks for your help in advance.
    i like april aire space guard air cleaners!

The most critical part of indoor air quality is a fresh air change every 4-5 hours especially when the home is occupied. Hope the dehumidifiers are capable of fresh air ventilation. Tell us more.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Hi

Bit more information

Summary: Bad asthma certain months, live in houston, take steroid and nebulizers, go to dry place in india polluted but no asthma

Currently:
    - Foam Insulation House - Roof and 4 sides - 2 YRS Old with Energy Package - Very Tight House
    - 2 Furnaces - upstairs and downstairs
    - merv 10 filter in house
    - bought 3 dehumidifiers will run in the house

Question:
    I am allergic to Pollen and I feel something else that is in the Houston air. I do not know what. Merv 10 only takes 94% i forgot exactly. So thinking of whole house.

I got 3 companies to come by and one suggested Lennox PureAir or Lennox hepa-60 and the other suggested, Trane True Clean Effects. However, I do not know which is better.

2) The ac person said I need 2 since I have a 3400 sqare home and that air will not circulate enough.

a. PureAir Downstairs Furnace & Merv 16 Lennox upstairs furnace

b. Lennon hepa 40 and pure air upstairs.

3) Also one AC person said that hepa 60 is not as good since it only circulates 40% of the air and is split, instead pureair is better. I am confused and still learning all the terminology, I just want to put the best thing for my asthma. So any tips, any places to read for whole house air cleaners would be appreciated. I have spend lots of time reading but if you know any place I would appreciate as well.

Thank you so much for replying to my question in advance!!!

Aprilaire 5000

Baldloonie, any feedback on the questions as well? Why are you suggesting that over the others?

i have a micropowergaurd.
    Wouldnt live with out it.

Hi,

Background:
    1) I have two goodman furnances. Links to show you the furnance info:

a. http://www.greendroplet.com/index.ph...0-000-btu.html

b. http://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewpro...ctID=453057121

2) Both furnance have this merv 10 filter - http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php?product=100950

? 3) I wanted to save money but install two upgraded air filtration options.

So here is one option I was thinkging, please poke holes if possible:

Furnance - GMV950905DX - Install Lennox - PureAir

Furnanc - GMV950453BX - Install Lennox - Merv 16 Filter

Will my Goodman furnace support going from merv 10 to merv 16? Does that put more load and will it effect static pressure? From the website iaqsource.com the merv 16 is interchange with my honeywell merv 10. Can you confirm this -
    http://www.iaqsource.com/product.php...6&category=888

It says this in the website "Interchangeable with Honeywell FC100A1037"

Should I do this? Please suggest tired of allergies

As Teddy Bear said you need ventilation first of all. Bring that fresh air into the house and into the ductwork upstream of a MERV 16 filter. The Pure Air or HC16 are both good choices.

Stay away from the Trane Cleaneffects! Used to have one in my house and had to clean it every month to maintain cleaning efficiency. As they load up with dirt the cleaning efficiency goes down. A filter with media such as the AA 5000 and Pure air do not drop in efficiency as the filter loads, they actually get a little better.

For the ultimate protection use the Pure Air along with a Hepa 40.

As two people have now said, ADD VENTILATION, I highly recommend the lifebreath 155 ECM but this may not be the right size for your house. As for aircleaners I have a Trane Clean Effects and DO NOT recommend it, I would go with a honeywell TrueClean instead, I prefer them over the Aprilaire 5000 and they are easier to install so they should cost less.

I think an ERV or HRV(ventilation) mixed with a honeywell trueclean on each furnace should take care of a lot of the issues... however and this is the one thing that is usually missed by most homeowners is that if your system is not running it is not cleaning the air! so get a good thermostat that has air cleaning(fan runtime) capabilities or set your fan to always on. This will cost slightly more on your utility bills but may be less expensive than medicine. Also remember only your house will have good are, work areas, outside, restaurants, being in the car will all be bad for you still if it is the houston area that is troubling you.

One of Teddy Bear's ventilating dehumidifiers would be a good choice for that tight house.

Can you explain why I need ventilation? I have issues with humidity, so would not not cause an issue. I have a variable speed furnance and if i upgrade the thermostat i think I can even leave the fan running. So as skyheating said, would that not work?

Teddy Bear does a great job of explaining ventilation.

All the indoor pollutants (carbon dioxide, offgassing from furniture, paint and personal care products to name a few) can't get out if you have a tight house. Very unhealthy to have a tight house with no ventilation.

When was the house built? I can't believe it passed code without any ventilation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast