Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused carrier infinity problem

I had a service call were a 5 ton carrier 2 stage infinity system was giving me a possible evaporator frozen code at the thermostat? i checked the charge it was good checked for leaks no leaks? txv bulb was installedin the right place filters were clean the i went under the house its a downflow system. the plenum has 3 -10" supply ducts and 1- 8".the return is 16" is the ductwork undersize for a 5 ton system?or is the infinity thermostat bad this is my 2nd time back to this house im kind of stumped.

Your right 16" is too small. But its a 2 stage unit, run it on the first stage by setting the t-stat 1 degree under the room temp.

I would measure the ESP, I have a digital meter that makes it easy, but the old dwyer magnehelics work too.

Did you measure 12 degrees of subcool on the liquid line?

Supply ducts size seem fine.

you can go into the tstat setup and run a static pressure test. yes a 16inch flex is not enough for 5 tons you need 2 16 inch flexes and each filter grill should be at least a 20 x30 i think your also short on supply ducts also

Ductwork is way undersized on both supply and return...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Subcooling was 11 degrees and I checked that I didn't check static pressure but it sounds like the duct work is undersized huh what sucks is my company installed this system before my time so now I got to tell the boss that their ductwork is undersized

You're lucky to be moving 1/2 the cfm's needed.

I'm surprised to static pressure alert isn't going off every single night...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

That's why the evaporator is freezing up not enough cfm going past the coil

Don't see many Infinity controls here, and as others have stated, not nearly enough duct for 5 tons.
    I ran into this problem once, (I think it was an infinity), and the stat was set-up incorrectly, which caused some freezing under certain conditions.
    I can't quite remember the actual settings, but I believe it was setup to de-humidify, which slowed the blower, and caused the freezing. Get some help from tech support, after you fix the ducts.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

What is the evaporating temp?

How do you find the evaporating temperature ?

Quote Originally Posted by williediesel View Post
    How do you find the evaporating temperature ?
    Are you a tech? That is a pretty basic measurement. That and sh will tell you if airflow is low.

Apply for pro and we can go into detail how to take those readings.

Confused

I'm a service tech with Sheetmetal worker local 104 san francisco bay area I could put my thermocouple in the evaporator but would that give me the evaporator temperature or are you asking actual saturation temperature at the evaporator ?

Quote Originally Posted by williediesel View Post
    I'm a service tech with Sheetmetal worker local 104 san francisco bay area I could put my thermocouple in the evaporator but would that give me the evaporator temperature or are you asking actual saturation temperature at the evaporator ?
    Yes, suction pressure converted to saturation temp equals evaporation temperature, or SST.

One more post and you can apply for pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast