Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

410a to r22 conversion

hello all does any one see a problem with taking a unused 410a condensor and charging it with r-22 and of course using a r22 metering device?

It wasn't designed to move as much refrigerant as an R22 unit. So capacity problems could arise. probably won't have good oil return, and could loose the compressor in a short time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

ditto
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Would not do it. It's not designed for that.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mydogone View Post
    hello all does any one see a problem with taking a unused 410a condensor and charging it with r-22 and of course using a r22 metering device?
    INTERESTING, I'D CALL THE COMPRESSOR MFG. AND ask them what would be the result if you did that, good question, never though about it!

I would think

you could take SEER/ERR ratings and throw them out the window. before I did that, I would buy a "dry charged" unit.

He already has the R410a condenser. Buy the matching R410a coil & you are good.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    He already has the R410a condenser. Buy the matching R410a coil & you are good.
    actually you have the best answer!

No problem at all. Except, less capacity.

Many refrigeration equipment/compressor rated for different types of refrigeration. It is the capacity.

But, would not do it.

I would think that if it has a compressor in it. You would have POE oil rather than mineral oil. That might present a problem. It would probably be something I might attempt on my own house, I'm just like that. But I sure as hell wouldn't sell it to somebody. I've done some weird frankenstein stuff through the years.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I would think that if it has a compressor in it. You would have POE oil rather than mineral oil. That might present a problem. It would probably be something I might attempt on my own house, I'm just like that. But I sure as hell wouldn't sell it to somebody. I've done some weird frankenstein stuff through the years.
    i think the oil would be the problem. a large manufacture has recently said that some of their "dry" 22 units were charged with poe by mistake, and they will not honor compressor warranties unless the oil is changed before startup.

Confused

real question is this? why would you even attempt to do that, unless you already put the unit in by mistake, why? i don't get it!

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    real question is this? why would you even attempt to do that, unless you already put the unit in by mistake, why? i don't get it!
    In my house, 2 systems

System 1 - 5 tons carrier condenser, 1/16HP 825 rpm fan motor from Lennox, 22,000 BTU scroll from Lennox compresor; Lennox G16 3 tons gas heater with trane 230 volts ECM blower and board; Ignition from unit that is no longer manufatured; 3 tons Lennox CH23 flat coil.

System 2 - 5 tons Heil condenser, 1/16HP 825 rpm fan motor from Lennox, 18,000 BTU scroll from Lennox compresor; Lennox G24 2 tons gas heater with Carrier 230 volts ECM blower and board; The only new is the A-coil Lennox 2.5 ton.

I've already tried ONE 3 tons condenser with 2 speed compressor for upstairs and downstairs. I don't see the saving on electric bill. I yanked it out.

I am tempted to use a 2 stage compressor this winter. And we all know those 2 stage are 410A. I got my eye on some compressors on the XC and XP19 already. I am still waiting for the XC or XP21

Why not reducing the electric bill. And have fun fun fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast