Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Blue - I would love to know what you are thinking. I will say though that when the 4 ton Goodwin 10 Seer 16 year old unit was working fine (up until the last month) it did cool down my house to the thermostat setting, shut off for a while, repeat. It was in fact meeting the demand. Even when I set the thermostat to 68*. If it was undersized I would guess (and that is ALL it is) that it would never reach my desired temp. My original thinking with the 5 ton was that it would not have to work as hard and therefore would be more efficient and last longer - but that was an incorrect assumption on my part.

What am I missing?

r-290 - I was quoted both 5 and 10 year labor warranty for what I felt was a reasonable amount. I do not know if it was manufacturer though...I will follow up on that. Great point.

UPstateChris,
    I would love to hear from some other techs what they feel about the "rule of thumb"; it is JUST an estimate and maybe totally different depending on climate; The high head pressure could be the simplest factor so far. If your condenser coil is dirty (visibly or not) your system will run at higher "head pressures". If it was working fine before try using a water hose to clean off your condenser coil (just gentle spray to avoid bending the fins) and no chemicals (ask your professional to do that).

Step by step?

Did you take a temp drop across the evaporator? what is the head pressure/suction temp? are there service valves? can i front seat one to see what happens? can i front seat the other to see what happens? come on man.................................

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Blue View Post

definitely seems like an issue, and ... I'm wrong but I thought general rule of thumb was 400 sqft/ton of cooling with ... HIGH HEAD PRESSURE!!! ?
    General Rule : 500 to 2,000 sq feet / ton

High Head Pressure is usually good ...

It shows THINKING grows the brain.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

[QUOTE=dan sw fl;10993912]General Rule : 500 to 2,000 sq feet / ton

does that change depending on climate/location and where is that info I'd like to check that out?
    Last edited by Tech Blue; 08-09-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: goofed still learning this site

Ductwork definitely seems like an issue, as well as heat load; and maybe I'm wrong but I thought general rule of thumb was 400 sqft/ton of cooling with 8' ceilings. You have 12' ceilings and 2700 sqft. hmmmmmmmm. 2700/400=6.75 figure in the high ceilings and high number of windows, french doors etc. ... next step from a 5 ton is 7.5; but I think one key thing is being over looked here. HIGH HEAD PRESSURE!!! What does that usually mean?? could explain why it cools but not very well. Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?
    there's no such thing as ''rule of thumb load calcs. example I have done several houses in the 800ft to ton, have seen scenarios of 1200 to the ton, it all depends on the building envelope.

my house is at 620 and that was for heating purposes full shade. if I would have just done a/c with gas furnace for heat I would have come in around 930 per ton.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Hmm

[QUOTE=Tech Blue;10993952]
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    General Rule : 487.6 to 1,918.4 sq. feet/ ton

does that change depending on climate/location
    and
    where is that info I'd like to check that out?
    Yes & No - it's a general bounding conditons summary that indicates it is - USELESS - to try to address huge differences in climate, building envelope/ age and life style in an overly simplistic manner.

Of course, there's always going to be some outliers.

Somebody might think 81'F is a nice , Cool indoor temperature.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

[QUOTE=Tech Blue;10993952]
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    General Rule : 500 to 2,000 sq feet / ton

does that change depending on climate/location and where is that info I'd like to check that out?
    that there info can be checked out on the manualJ residential load calculation.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

As per the AOP Rules only Professional Members * can reply with
    advice
    to the OP. Anyone may post and ask questions. They may even
    question the * member answer but not give advice or expand on the
    advice given. Please read these rules for a complete understanding. AOP Rules
    For those in our industry who wish to become a Professional Member, please click here and follow the
    instructions. Apply for Professional
    Membership
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-10-2011 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Non *

thanks so I'm not crazy after all. I havent had a chance to confirm the manual j but maybe I'm confusing commercial with residential. would you mind sharing where you got your info?

Southern Mech,
    I do agree with you it is always a good idea to do a load calc. and like i said originally the rule of thumb was just an estimate

Thumbs up ACCA J

thanks so I'm crazy l.

I havent had a chance to confirm the manual j but maybe I'm confusing commercial with residential.

would you mind sharing where you got your info?
    Residential @ < 666 sq. feet /ton is Very POOR Practice for a well built house.
    Many thumbs need re-Training and also need to be real versatile.

My info is based on running 600_+ Manual J calcs.
    Designer Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast