Old Carrier Air Handler - Tonnage?

HVAC'ers,

Could I please get some information for what is probably a 1975 Carrier air handler. The model number seems to be 4ES-220-300, and the serial number 43C80696.

Is this a 2, 3, or 4 ton (or somewhere in between :-)? Can my tech still get a blower motor/capacitor for it? When he left this afternoon he said he wasn't sure if he could. There's no end in sight for our 100+ degree weather, so I'd like to be calling around & getting prices for a new air handler while he's looking for a blower motor just in case.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
    Cottages

Correction on Model Number

Sorry, the model number is 40ES-220-300.

Tell him

to contact the local Carrier/Bryant dealer and see what they say. I take it that this motor is special and must be OEM?

I don't know how special the motor is...well, it did last 36 years, so I guess that makes it at least above average.

All of central Texas is experiencing the worst consecutive wave ever (well at least since records have been kept). We are on day 24 of triple digits (and most days are 105+ degrees). We've had a total of 55 days of triple digits, but there were a few days of "only" 98 degrees. I spent over an hour on hold yesterday with the local Carrier rep, and he still was tied up. I imagine my tech is running into the same thing. All the companies are slammed and all the stores are out of 110v A/C's on their shelves. It's like when a hurricane is on the way near the coast.

Now that I have the model number, I found the original specifications brochure, but I still don't know the tonnage. The specs don't say, and don't say cfm either. It does say that the 200 series can deliver 42,000 btu of cooling. I'm thinking that means it is essentially a 3.5 ton?

Because of the situation, I'm thinking of buying a slightly used air handler in the next city off Craigslist, then advertise on Craigslist for a tech to install (if there are any with spare time!) I don't know...I spent $500. yesterday running around getting window & portable units off Craigslist. I need a summer home up north :-).

the air handler accorging to carrier tech docs, the 40es-200 series has a maximum cooling capacity of 42,000 btuh.
    coils that were available for the 200 series were
    28GS024001 2 TON coil height 46 3/4
    28GS030001 2.5 TON coil height 49 1/16
    28GS036011 3 TON coil height 55 11/16
    28GS042011 3.5 TON coil height 59 5/16

hope this helps with the sizing issue.

Mucho Garcia Hotrod Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottages View Post
    I don't know how special the motor is...well, it did last 36 years, so I guess that makes it at least above average.

All of central Texas is experiencing the worst consecutive wave ever (well at least since records have been kept). We are on day 24 of triple digits (and most days are 105+ degrees). We've had a total of 55 days of triple digits, but there were a few days of "only" 98 degrees. I spent over an hour on hold yesterday with the local Carrier rep, and he still was tied up. I imagine my tech is running into the same thing. All the companies are slammed and all the stores are out of 110v A/C's on their shelves. It's like when a hurricane is on the way near the coast.

Now that I have the model number, I found the original specifications brochure, but I still don't know the tonnage. The specs don't say, and don't say cfm either. It does say that the 200 series can deliver 42,000 btu of cooling. I'm thinking that means it is essentially a 3.5 ton?

Because of the situation, I'm thinking of buying a slightly used air handler in the next city off Craigslist, then advertise on Craigslist for a tech to install (if there are any with spare time!) I don't know...I spent $500. yesterday running around getting window & portable units off Craigslist. I need a summer home up north :-).
    What's the outdoor unit model number and age? This drives the requirements of the indoor coil size. "Danger Will Robinson"......there is no such thing as finding slightly used on craigslist....but you can find an installer there to install anything you want....

As per the AOP Rules only Professional Members * can reply with advice to the OP. Anyone may post and ask questions. They may even question the * member answer but not give advice or expand on the advice given. Please read these rules for a complete understanding. AOP Rules

For those in our industry who wish to become a Professional Member, please click here and follow the instructions. Apply for Professional Membership
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-09-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: No *