Thread: need help on a RUUD A/H

Post Likes

Unhappy

I need to know what size this unit is... RBHC-24J11NFB Someone put a UPMD-060JAZ 13 Seer to it. In the Heating Mode the Suction side soars and then shuts down... I dont like to bash names but here in FLorida some big time company put this package together for the guy. I am going to either change out the condenser for him or the A/H, I know that the RBHK-25J11NFE goes with this Cond, However, I am just trying to figure out what size the A/H is and how they get the tonage on this.
    Thanks.

Post Likes
    you have a 12 seer 5 ton hp, with a 5 ton air handler, you'll need to get coil #'s to be sure you have a 5 ton coil. the ubhk is a var speed air handler which brings the efficiency to 13 seer.

Post Likes
    is there a static collar?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by toyo066
    I need to know what size this unit is... RBHC-24J11NFB
    All I can tell you is that it is a 5-ton air handler I sell RUUD that looks like a Rheem #
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    is there a static collar?
    Not needed on the RBHK, but airflow could be an issue, or may have wrong TXV in evap coil (ie... cooling only TXV)

Give us model of coil please.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Wrong coil unless it has an RXCTCHJ TXV KIT. Will hit 12 seer w/ that. the "B" denotes a rcba6089g piston coil
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    oops. i misread, it is an rbhc. so a static collar is necessary. and is only 12 seer.

Post Likes
    actually, it probably won't even hit 12 in a 5 ton model.
    txv or not.

Post Likes
    oops. i misread, it is an rbhc. so a static collar is necessary. and is only 12 seer.
    It is not needed on the RBHC either.

Read this http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=73336

Post Likes
    okay, i read it. just can't figure out why the rheem/ruud engineers reqiure it.

no offense to the good doc, but what were his testing parameters compared to theirs?

100 cfm may not mean much at 1600 cfm, but means alot more at 800.

Post Likes

no offense to the good doc, but what were his testing parameters compared to theirs?

LOL

Post Likes
    I'll leave the testing "parameters" out for now but lets just say a day was spent building various duct systems and testing each and every one of them.

I'm lost, his suction is soaring in heat mode... Could he mean discharge? If so, why not just actually read the airflow and determine if it is a problem? Use the temperature rise method and also look at the ESP. With the large air handler and heaters, you have to be careful with static. In this case a high static due to a marginal duct system may benifit getting that extra 100 CFM.

And moreso, why would you arbitrarily change equipment because of an undiagnosed problem? What are you going to do when you convince them to rip it out and then the "problem" persists.

The UPMD-060 will work with that air handler and just the same, that coil. While it doesnt specificly state the BHC, it frankly couldnt care less what the airmover is. An indoor TXV will not change anything but the efficiency and it will be lower than a rating they felt comfortable publishing. The installer probably sold the unit as a 13 SEER but only installed a 10 SEER, maybe 10.5 SEER system.

Post Likes

back at ya!

The guy sold him a 13 seer SUPPOSEDLY cond. I have not been out there as of yet but I am going out there this saturday. The A/C mode cools to about 57 degrees with an 18 degree split, however, when it goes to the heat mode he tells me that the suction side soars and within 5 min the unit shuts down on him and he has to hit the reset button. I dont know what the deal is because I have not been there yet. This guy had done it for a friend and now he is coming to me for advise. I just know that the air handler on ruud or rheems cannot really mix with other brands. I mean you can put a lennox cond on a rheem A/H and you will have the same problem. They dont go together, cooling will be ok, however, when it the heat mode your pressures are all screwed up. I was going to tell him to add the TXV but I was told that It would not matter. ????
    Sir Ace says, Don't hate the breed, just the breeder!
    Supports Wounded Warrior Project
    Army Vet

Post Likes
    Rheem and Ruud are the excact same units, they come off the same assymbly line. The only differance is the stickers they get.

Post Likes
    Sounds like an overcharge. It is easy to do on this combination, especially from the sounds of the original contractor.

Recover some gas and see if the pressure drops. Sometimes these units have to operate for 20 minutes or more to stabilize and see the pressure increase, some techs won't wait when doing a start up.

Post Likes
    without the static collar previously mentioned, you will always be overcharged in heat and then undercharged in cool.so when cooling season rolls around you will need to re-add refrigerant that you are now removing in the heat mode.

it's a vicious cycle that can be repaired, get the airflow of the system.

Post Likes
    billva, with all due respect that may be the right thing it may not. Until someone reads the actual airflow, there's no sense in guessing.

Did I say read the actual airflow? Gasp.

Post Likes

Frown WRONG LINE DRIER!!!!!

I went to check the unit out today and guess what I found on for a line drier???? A STRAIGHT COOL drier.... We took it off and what a surprising thing.... It was working like a charm.... Not to say that the freon was over charged just a bit but I guess they either did not know what to use as a drier or just plain dumb.... Like I said, I did not go out there until today so I was just going on what he said... FYI there is not static collar on it and it works fine... I did not check the air flow ( lack of tools going out) when I saw it did not have a bi-flow filter on it single direction instead I wanted to pop him in the head... SO that is one for the record to check for what type of line drier is on it if it is a new install....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in