Question TROUBLESHOOTING TRANE XE-1000

Am novice, having taken training and getting EPA certified, and would appreciate any advice you can give.

Am troubleshooting a relative's system (seemed like good experience). Trane Model TWR042C100B3.

Unit was freezing. Troubleshooting guides in training books indicated low refrigerant. (Low Discharge Presssure; Low Suction Pressure; High superheat; Low subcooling)

However, system would not charge to proper discharge pressure--could only get it to around 240 at 98-100 ambient, and suction pressure has raised to around 78. Superheat has improved, but remains high; subcooling has improved to within normal parameters.

Am believing the compressor is the culprit. However, amps are drawing at 17-17.5 on a 19 amp rated motor.

Is that difference significant enough to point toward compressor weakness?

Thanks.

Also, how can I tell if I overcharged this sytem while attempting to get the discharge pressure up?

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by lbg8994 View Post
    Am novice, having taken training and getting EPA certified, and would appreciate any advice you can give.

Am troubleshooting a relative's system (seemed like good experience). Trane Model TWR042C100B3.

Unit was freezing. Troubleshooting guides in training books indicated low refrigerant. (Low Discharge Presssure; Low Suction Pressure; High superheat; Low subcooling)

However, system would not charge to proper discharge pressure--could only get it to around 240 at 98-100 ambient, and suction pressure has raised to around 78. Superheat has improved, but remains high; subcooling has improved to within normal parameters.

Am believing the compressor is the culprit. However, amps are drawing at 17-17.5 on a 19 amp rated motor.

Is that difference significant enough to point toward compressor weakness?

Thanks.

Also, how can I tell if I overcharged this sytem while attempting to get the discharge pressure up?
    answer to all your troubles, call a qualified hvac tech, good luck!

Twilly says this really falls under DIY. Superheat to you and yours.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

alot of the old tranes were a piston metering device