Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duct layout question

Post Likes
    What's that, roughly 1400 sf? You sure 5 tons will be enough?

Better go with 10 just to be safe...

Gosh that was funny!
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    Ok guys see you are all starting to bash someone who showed a example of what could be done. No worries here, I am not designing the system just seeing what you guys thought of the design as a real friend was asking me for my opion. So like i told him, I am not sure because have never done anything to that degree before as far as duct design goes. I will thank the people who had possitve feed back on this. I am just going to tell my friend, He needs to have the Installing company explain everything to him end of story.

I will say this, I did run a Manual J on the house myself and i came out with roughly the same (5) ton design. As the picture did not show this house has a lot of windows and he likes to keep it cold in there. After reveiwing the duct system design, I see about 1900 cfm give or take a bit of supply and 1950 cfm of return with the system. As I posted earlier not the best design, I have every seen but I think it will work with all the variables ironed out with the installing company.

Post Likes

Confession is good for the soul,

[QUOTE=duckman06;10992562]Ok guys see you are all starting to bash someone who showed a example of what could be done. No worries here, I am not designing the system just seeing what you guys thought of the design as a real friend was asking me for my opine.

Dude,

This is why I am a bit cynical in my old age:

1.just got this layout handed to me and asked if it would work? I say it looks to be pretty good but I am not a duct work Pro. as some are here. The system is Going to be a 5 ton Trane system. Does this layout look good or is there something missing? I am by no meanings going to do this myself but was asked what i thought.

2.No i am not kidding! A friend of mine handed it to me and said was a rough stetch of how his a/c company are planning to layout his duct system in his house.

3.No it was a quick drawing that one of the tech did as a basic example of layout. "I no manual j was done because I saw the report".

4.I will say this," I did run a Manual J on the house myself"

I would send Lynn a free beer card.

ACBD

Post Likes
    Ok I can see where u could take things out of each post. Are you saying that i am lying? If so sir your wrong! Let me guess you think I am going to use his design to do the duct work? Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!! Sorry for the post, man did this go south with people turning on one another and people being accessed of stuff. I am done with this post!!! Again thanks for the positive things that was said to help.

Post Likes

I would use Lynn's design

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Ok I can see where u could take things out of each post. Are you saying that i am lying? If so sir your wrong! Let me guess you think I am going to use his design to do the duct work? Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!! Sorry for the post, man did this go south with people turning on one another and people being accessed of stuff. I am done with this post!!! Again thanks for the positive things that was said to help.
    Hey,

lynn did you a favor, He obviously knows his stuff. Why not use his design?

Just remember him at Christmas,

Good luck,

ACBD

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Hey i didn't draw it but thanks for the help and the drawing. You spent some time on that. Again thanks. Are you saying to do away with the 12" out the side and bring it off the end of the plentum? I thought that was a no no but I could be wrong? In this case it is a good idea. Also what about the rest of the sizing in the room did this guys size these correctly or is it oversized and want throw far enough or no volume behind it. I only dealt with a severe weakness in the longest branch duct. The sizing seems reasonable and better than average. Sizing may have to be adjusted for extra bends that get added in the field to route the duct as needed around obstacles. Really cannot say about sizing without the specs on the furnace and coil so I did not address that. Also what are the 2 lines drew close together represent? They look like / / this in the pic. That is a standard way of indicating a break of unknown length in the line.
    The tech who drew the original sketch has a better than average sense for a duct design. Final results also depend on air sealing the ducts, duct insulation and workmanship. Throw from the grilles, grille choice, and location are also factors that I did not address for obvious reasons (not enough info and a real duct design is a lot more work). I also suspect that the equipment axis is 90° off because I think the trusses will run from top to bottom of my edited sketch.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    NEVER STOP LEARNING.

Post Likes
    No worries duckman06

In this economy I have to work with lots of different customers, they might be general contractors or homeowners. A lot of people are looking to save money where they can. So that means working with them on what they will do and what I will do. Just did a complete 4 plex with all new duct work. The contractor wanted to use his guy for the duct work, since they gutted the whole building. fine. They understand if it has leaks that's on there dime.
    The guy did a great job. We passed HERS testing.

Duct work is an art and a science. Meaning there are tricks that can be done that don't show up in design software. One tip. On really long runs (over 25')
    I will make sure the duct is a bit over sized, then right at the vent will use a reducer to speed up the air exiting the vent. For example I did a 25' run of 12" and Y into to two 12' 8" runs and then reduced to 6" right at the vent.

Post Likes
    duckman 06,

I often draw out a duct system like this but i have it to scale and draw in detailed notes. No doubt whoever drew this knew what they were doing in my option but just was not a very good pic. of the project. The drawing says cat. ceiling so i am guessing you would have it right in the middle of the house in which it will be hard to run a trunk line? Anyways remote plentum should work fine follow lynn comstock advice about the size of the remote plentum but i don't no about take off right at the end? He is a pro though!

As far as the rest of the duct system goes it looks to be in order with the tonage you plan to put in. Just be sure to use dampers specialy with those 9 inch drops along with the 8 inch drops. Returns seem to be sized properly as well if the distance is not to far from the back of the unit. I am up with about 1950 cfm supply in which you should be able to return as well with the current set up.

I hope it works out good for your friend??? Again listed to this guys they know there stuff. Best of Luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Post Likes

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by r-290 View Post
    No worries duckman06

In this economy I have to work with lots of different customers, they might be general contractors or homeowners. A lot of people are looking to save money where they can. So that means working with them on what they will do and what I will do. Just did a complete 4 plex with all new duct work. The contractor wanted to use his guy for the duct work, since they gutted the whole building. fine. They understand if it has leaks that's on there dime.
    The guy did a great job. We passed HERS testing.

Duct work is an art and a science. Meaning there are tricks that can be done that don't show up in design software. One tip. On really long runs (over 25')
    I will make sure the duct is a bit over sized, then right at the vent will use a reducer to speed up the air exiting the vent. For example I did a 25' run of 12" and Y into to two 12' 8" runs and then reduced to 6" right at the vent.
    in the old days, we'd call that static regain!

Post Likes
    Depending on how it's balanced, off hand, the bathrooms and office look a little over conditioned and the dining room and kitchen look to be under conditioned. But only a Manual J and Manual D could tell yo uthat for sure. Don't even know which way the hosue faces or what climate it's in.

Might be worth doing the house in 2 zones if they can afford it the 2 stage AC and furnace and zone controls. The dining room, kitchen and living room will have large swings in demand depending on occupancy and activities.

On a side note. Its' a interesting home design. The office space is nearly as large as the kitchen/dining area. Not a bad thing if you use it as a home office 8 hours a day. But not a "typical" layout. Although the "office" could also be classified as a family room.

Post Likes
    Where is the garage? Hold on see the door image between the dining room and office? I bet the office was the carport/garage at 1 time! Also as far as there being to much air to one room that is why you install dampers so you can cut back the air you need to a room which is 2 cool and direct it to other areas that need more. Also he had a lot of dump air to deal with since using a 5 ton system.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by adamwhatley View Post
    Where is the garage? Hold on see the door image between the dining room and office? I bet the office was the carport/garage at 1 time! Also as far as there being to much air to one room that is why you install dampers so you can cut back the air you need to a room which is 2 cool and direct it to other areas that need more. Also he had a lot of dump air to deal with since using a 5 ton system.
    hey adam hows west monroe doing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    hey adam hows west monroe doing?
    Will it is hot like most parts of the usa!!! Do i know you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    Depending on how it's balanced, off hand, the bathrooms and office look a little over conditioned and the dining room and kitchen look to be under conditioned. But only a Manual J and Manual D could tell yo uthat for sure. Don't even know which way the hosue faces or what climate it's in.

Might be worth doing the house in 2 zones if they can afford it the 2 stage AC and furnace and zone controls. The dining room, kitchen and living room will have large swings in demand depending on occupancy and activities.

On a side note. Its' a interesting home design. The office space is nearly as large as the kitchen/dining area. Not a bad thing if you use it as a home office 8 hours a day. But not a "typical" layout. Although the "office" could also be classified as a family room.
    If it is too much air to those areas want dampers help? Again from what I am seeing with a 5 ton system, he is trying to dump as air as possible so system will deliver 2000 cfm or close to it. This is the not the best design but should work as long as all the ductwork and plentum is sealed up good with mastic!

I am not a pro but layout seems to be distance for the home? I would say since going with one system t-stat should be located in the center of the house instead of at one end or the other. Again not a pro so I well shut up know and let the guys who do this day in day out answer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in