Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't know........

In 40 years of being in the biz- I don't think I've ever drawn up a duct layout for a HO so he & his friends can review & critique.

What's that, roughly 1400 sf? You sure 5 tons will be enough?

Better go with 10 just to be safe...
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post

LOL!!! The manual J said 5 ton will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    What's that, roughly 1400 sf? ...
    I got about 2266 sq.ft.

Duct design Notes.pdf I changed the box at the end of the duct to be an extension of the duct. (See the difference?) I am using your sizing. I edited your original to make it darker and more readable. I would either upsize this branch to the bedrooms or takeoff the end of the plenum in order to use velocity pressure in the truck to boost the air in this branch.

Name:  Duct Design Sample.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  30.5 KB I like spiral trunk and 45° takeoffs.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Hey i didn't draw it but thanks for the help and the drawing. You spent some time on that. Again thanks. Are you saying to do away with the 12" out the side and bring it off the end of the plentum? I thought that was a no no but I could be wrong? Also what about the rest of the sizing in the room did this guys size these correctly or is it oversized and want throw far enough or no volume behind it. Also what are the 2 lines drew close together represent? They look like / / this in the pic

What a decent guy

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    I got about 2266 sq.ft.

Duct design Notes.pdf I changed the box at the end of the duct to be an extension of the duct. (See the difference?) I am using your sizing. I edited your original to make it darker and more readable. I would either upsize this branch to the bedrooms or takeoff the end of the plenum in order to use velocity pressure in the truck to boost the air in this branch.

Name:  Duct Design Sample.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  30.5 KB I like spiral trunk and 45° takeoffs.
    Lynn,

What a nice thing for you to do.

I always find myself a little cynical when the question starts with "my friend has a problem". I will try to be less so.

I hope they don't use your design and then call you into court as liable when/if something goes bad. But again, I am a little cynical

A tip of the Hat to you sir,

ACBD

Quote Originally Posted by AC Bad Dog View Post
    Lynn,

What a nice thing for you to do.

A tip of the Hat to you sir,
    Ditto.

4 ton of duct work?

Sending a subtle message about the sizing (ie - should be a 2-3 ton house)?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Gosh that was funny!
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Ok guys see you are all starting to bash someone who showed a example of what could be done. No worries here, I am not designing the system just seeing what you guys thought of the design as a real friend was asking me for my opion. So like i told him, I am not sure because have never done anything to that degree before as far as duct design goes. I will thank the people who had possitve feed back on this. I am just going to tell my friend, He needs to have the Installing company explain everything to him end of story.

I will say this, I did run a Manual J on the house myself and i came out with roughly the same (5) ton design. As the picture did not show this house has a lot of windows and he likes to keep it cold in there. After reveiwing the duct system design, I see about 1900 cfm give or take a bit of supply and 1950 cfm of return with the system. As I posted earlier not the best design, I have every seen but I think it will work with all the variables ironed out with the installing company.

Confession is good for the soul,

[QUOTE=duckman06;10992562]Ok guys see you are all starting to bash someone who showed a example of what could be done. No worries here, I am not designing the system just seeing what you guys thought of the design as a real friend was asking me for my opine.

Dude,

This is why I am a bit cynical in my old age:

1.just got this layout handed to me and asked if it would work? I say it looks to be pretty good but I am not a duct work Pro. as some are here. The system is Going to be a 5 ton Trane system. Does this layout look good or is there something missing? I am by no meanings going to do this myself but was asked what i thought.

2.No i am not kidding! A friend of mine handed it to me and said was a rough stetch of how his a/c company are planning to layout his duct system in his house.

3.No it was a quick drawing that one of the tech did as a basic example of layout. "I no manual j was done because I saw the report".

4.I will say this," I did run a Manual J on the house myself"

I would send Lynn a free beer card.

ACBD

Ok I can see where u could take things out of each post. Are you saying that i am lying? If so sir your wrong! Let me guess you think I am going to use his design to do the duct work? Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!! Sorry for the post, man did this go south with people turning on one another and people being accessed of stuff. I am done with this post!!! Again thanks for the positive things that was said to help.

I would use Lynn's design

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Ok I can see where u could take things out of each post. Are you saying that i am lying? If so sir your wrong! Let me guess you think I am going to use his design to do the duct work? Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!!! Sorry for the post, man did this go south with people turning on one another and people being accessed of stuff. I am done with this post!!! Again thanks for the positive things that was said to help.
    Hey,

lynn did you a favor, He obviously knows his stuff. Why not use his design?

Just remember him at Christmas,

Good luck,

ACBD

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Hey i didn't draw it but thanks for the help and the drawing. You spent some time on that. Again thanks. Are you saying to do away with the 12" out the side and bring it off the end of the plentum? I thought that was a no no but I could be wrong? In this case it is a good idea. Also what about the rest of the sizing in the room did this guys size these correctly or is it oversized and want throw far enough or no volume behind it. I only dealt with a severe weakness in the longest branch duct. The sizing seems reasonable and better than average. Sizing may have to be adjusted for extra bends that get added in the field to route the duct as needed around obstacles. Really cannot say about sizing without the specs on the furnace and coil so I did not address that. Also what are the 2 lines drew close together represent? They look like / / this in the pic. That is a standard way of indicating a break of unknown length in the line.
    The tech who drew the original sketch has a better than average sense for a duct design. Final results also depend on air sealing the ducts, duct insulation and workmanship. Throw from the grilles, grille choice, and location are also factors that I did not address for obvious reasons (not enough info and a real duct design is a lot more work). I also suspect that the equipment axis is 90° off because I think the trusses will run from top to bottom of my edited sketch.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast