Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Duct layout question

Hello,

I just got this layout handed to me and asked if it would work? I say it looks to be pretty good but I am not a duct work Pro. as some are here. The system is Going to be a 5 ton Trane system. Does this layout look good or is there something missing? I am by no meanings going to do this myself but was asked what i thought.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Hello,

I just got this layout handed to me and asked if it would work? I say it looks to be pretty good but I am not a duct work Pro. as some are here. The system is Going to be a 5 ton Trane system. Does this layout look good or is there something missing? I am by no meanings going to do this myself but was asked what i thought.

Thanks
    your kidding correct?

No i am not kidding! A friend of mine handed it to me and said was a rough stetch of how his a/c company are planning to layout his duct system in his house. As far as the sizes of the ducts verus the return the system looks to returning and supplying 1900-2100 cfm. If any disagrees let me no as so i can tell him to have them review/check the layout.

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    your kidding correct?
    May I assume your response was not based on a negative professional opinion, but rather that the drawing lacked the clarity and technical presentation on which to make that decision?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    May I assume your response was not based on a negative professional opinion, but rather that the drawing lacked the clarity and technical presentation on which to make that decision?
    what's your opinion of the drawing? and what's your recommendation?

how did they determine the per room CFM requirements?

did they or will they do a manual D?

Did your friend just do you a quick favor by sketching this up or is this part of their bid?

No it was a quick drawing that one of the tech did as a basic example of layout. I no manual j was done because I saw the report. Home called foe 54000 btu. System going in is 56500btu. As far as the size of the duct goes I am assuming they sized it out per size of room, cfm that could be delivered and to provide all the airflow possible? Again from what I see ( I no the drawing not very good but was a example & scanned) the sizing looks correct to deliver 1900-2000 cfm & return it. He did say system would have damper in it! Besides the drawing how does everything else look?

Somebody put some time into the drawing. It has 3 returns.

I do see where they are running a 12" to get some flow out to the end of the house.

Quick calc came up with 586 sq in of supply duct so dampers will help.

The area served at the bottom will starve for air. Distribution box is lame idea.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

You would do well to consider

changing this "home run" flex design to some real trunk duct, even if you use much shorter flex runs for branches on the supply and hard hits for the return grills. That you you can expect about half the duct surface area, subject to heat duct transfer along with better air delivery.
    Try fiberglass duct with it's low leakage for trunk
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    The area served at the bottom will starve for air. Distribution box is lame idea.
    I assume you are referring to the living room area that will be starved for air? As far as the distribution box, I believe they proposed doing because cat. Ceiling is blocking the air deliver due to the sides being tight and not real cost effective to run a trunk line due to the length to the other side of house. I agree that it is not perfect but a start. In regards to remote plentum/dis. Box, I would say not to make the turn around the cat. Ceiling but run 12 inch to dis. Box straight on one side & have those runs as straight as possible. Also this drawing is not to scale. The returns will be in 2 hallways on both sides to pick up all the air flow possible but not in the main living area where it can be seen. The 3rd return would be for the office area/mud room as it shut off from the rest of the house.

More input would be great from the pros here. As he just wants to make sure it will work and provide good supply and return back to the system. I will the design a C average as it seems to have good return and supply but not the ideal layout but I believe it would work and is cost effective. That is why I told him to let me post a pic of it here as you guys no what you are doing. Thanks again for the info. Keep it coming....

QUOTE=MM#7;10983692]what's your opinion of the drawing? and what's your recommendation?[/QUOTE]

I have no opinion, as I'm not a PRO. My comment (a little sarcasm) reflected how the image appeared on my screen--little/no contrast; most markings not legible.

I am wondering about the 9 inch flex how much air flow it will throw verus say 8 inch in the living room. I see the system has enough to supply the 9 inch ducts in the living room. I guess the dampers will help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast