Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Can you post some pics?

I'm going to take the "sitting on the fence" approach to this problem.
    Alot has changed in 5 years as far as installation practices go. Now I've been sealing systems air tight for years. Many other companies didn't really get into sealing until duct testing & IAQ became important issues (California seems to have the strictest policy early on). There's plenty of systems out there that relied on the 1" insulation wrap to seal the collars. Wouldn't fly today but it might have then.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    Can you post some pics?

I'm going to take the "sitting on the fence" approach to this problem.
    Alot has changed in 5 years as far as installation practices go. Now I've been sealing systems air tight for years. Many other companies didn't really get into sealing until duct testing & IAQ became important issues (California seems to have the strictest policy early on). There's plenty of systems out there that relied on the 1" insulation wrap to seal the collars. Wouldn't fly today but it might have then.
    agreed , getting called back after the system was put in 5 years ago, ???

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    agreed , getting called back after the system was put in 5 years ago, ???
    if you do crappy work you should be called out on and go fix it for free if there is no tape or sealant then they did not seal them up. i would probably call some one else being they did crappy work the first time.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    if you do crappy work you should be called out on and go fix it for free if there is no tape or sealant then they did not seal them up. i would probably call some one else being they did crappy work the first time.
    if the co. that did the original install says when we left all was good, no leaks, then said it's possible over the LAST 5 YEARS, someone could have been moving around the attic and pulled out some of the flex runs causing them to leak. i've been on jibs where h/o have gone into attics and accidently stepped on drain lines cracking them and then when it leaked blamed the installer. i've been on jobs where h/o's have thrown luggage,books,tables,christmas trees,etc on ducts and they either got crushes or actually separated flex from there collars, i can go on and on, i wasn't at this house and i have no idea what transpired over the last % YEARS!

Quote Originally Posted by mkling1980 View Post
    Well, with a general lack of anything to seal the joints I would guess they have been leaking all along... but I see your point. However, that is why I am asking the question as to what is done in a typical install of these types of systems. If these joints are supposed to be self-sealing but mine are leaking air then I have faulty connectors that need to be replaced. However, if these joints are supposed to be sealed during installation somehow then mine were certainly not.
    they were not sealed from the date of install as i said crappy work

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    they were not sealed from the date of install as i said crappy work
    Especially on a high velocity system.

Reminds me of a high velocity system I got called out to look at, we installed.

Installed 3 years prior at a church.
    Installed large high velocity system, spacepak.

We ran round pipe, insulated, in an open basement of this church.

The pipe seams were leaking (pipe to pipe connection) were leaking, and the leak was bad enough to "fluff" the insulation. Maintience worker noticed that when he pressed the insulation, there was alot of give.

Even the seams of the 90's leaked.

Everything needs to be taped on a high velocity system.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

i was reading some of the other blogs today, one guy has a leaky coil from day one, another guys replacing capaciters every 5 minutes, another guy has a unit that takes fore ever to drop 2 degrees, another lady has had a issue with her unico chiller system from the get go. i read this post and i see a install done 5 YEARS ago. no problems with cooling,no problems with noise, no issues wih cooling individual rooms,no break downs, and the unit didn't have any one service this unit since it was put in 5 YEARS ago. all of a sudden after 5 YEARS, customer noticed some leaks near the inlets on the flex runs, and all of a sudden it's a crappy install. all i can say, if after 5 years of no break downs no complaints, if this is the worst problem about this unit. well what ever!

Matt, you have a 5 year old system that

MAY HAVE BEEN LEAKING AIR FOR 5 YEARS. Of course the installing company should take a look and see if they are leaking since a reasonable person expects these connections to be permanent and not require periodic tightening!

You can ask nicely OR you may have to ask a second company to inspect and report (don't have them fix immediately) and then insist that they return if the connections were not done properly AND PAY FOR THE THIRD PARTY INSPECTION
    OR
    you'll need to see a lawyer and go to small claims court for the inspection, the repair and the estimated extra operating cost for the 5 years that it probably has leaked.

Their Choice
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

PS get a video camera and document

You'll probably need it and or perhaps call UNICO manufacturer rep to establish that the install meets their standards
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    MAY HAVE BEEN LEAKING AIR FOR 5 YEARS. Of course the installing company should take a look and see if they are leaking since a reasonable person expects these connections to be permanent and not require periodic tightening!

You can ask nicely OR you may have to ask a second company to inspect and report (don't have them fix immediately) and then insist that they return if the connections were not done properly AND PAY FOR THE THIRD PARTY INSPECTION
    OR
    you'll need to see a lawyer and go to small claims court for the inspection, the repair and the estimated extra operating cost for the 5 years that it probably has leaked.

Their Choice
    i'm not a lawyer but 5 years after an installation, i'd highy doubt he has recource in the legal arena! but what ever!

Maybe

but it usually has more to do WHEN you discovered the problem!
    We are talking small claims court. rules are a little more relaxed and it will be the contractors job to raise the time issue for their defense, NOT YOU.

Unless they see where their not doing what they should do as having a down side they will continue to not step up.

Call the UNICO factory and speak to their local rep

I don't like lawyers and am always hesitant about suggesting this approach. But you gotta do what you gatta do or just suffer

Quote Originally Posted by genduct View Post
    but it usually has more to do WHEN you discovered the problem!
    We are talking small claims court. rules are a little more relaxed and it will be the contractors job to raise the time issue for their defense, NOT YOU.

Unless they see where their not doing what they should do as having a down side they will continue to not step up.

Call the UNICO factory and speak to their local rep

I don't like lawyers and am always hesitant about suggesting this approach. But you gotta do what you gatta do or just suffer
    this is the last comment i'll make on this, call a lawyer for a minor air leak? 5 YEARS after a install? 5 years w/o a complaint about cooling? about noise? about a breakdown? for 5 years from install this unit had no service done by a hvac co.? fact is most people don't realize to keep warranty in efect you have to have a unit serviced once per year by a qualified tech! your going down a VERY slippery slope! your making a big mistake telling h/o's to call lawyers on a minor air leak 5 years after a install! what's your cut off on law suits 10yrs.? 15 yrs.? 20 yrs> on a minor air leak? you obviously aren't a big out fit. installation standards have been changing over the past decade. but what ever, but your advice is going down a VERY slippery slope!

Did they pull a permit?
    Just curious.
    If they did & it got signed off- good luck on a lawsuit.

BTW- lawsuit? For duct leakage? Any of you ever been to court?
    The time it would take to prepare & go to court- you could have them sealed & be done with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast