Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To the OP Stallen

There is a possibility that you are breathing CO. Since this could be a danger to you if we are correct I will be sending you a email from the site directing you to view this thread. This is a guess but an educated one and we are interested in your safety IF this is the issue at hand.

CO is a dangerous gas. Please make no bones about it. Please take precautions to protect yourself from continued inhalation of this gas.

Please click on this link http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=853762

I can see from your IP address what part of the country you are in. We have a Professional Member very close to you. Scroll down on the map to your location and call this Pro immediately.

Dad
    Sr. Admin

Guys... I'm going to close this thread for a while so the OP won't lose the tree in the forest.

I'll open it back in a while. I did send them a admin email to come here and read.

Opening this thread again...

The OP replied to the Admin email with the following and all I can say is that I'm very relieved to hear from them.

Thank you so much for the email. We had the gas company come out today. They said their detector did not detect any natural gas or CO. I'll get my own CO detector tomorrow and double check. The AC company also came back. They used an electronic freon detector and didn't pick up any freon. We're really at a loss for what this could be. We even (at the rec of the AC tech) had the water company come out today to look for abnormal sewage gas. Feel free to reopen the thread as the opinions/discussion may be helpful. I'll also look into contacting the local Prof member.

This is a strange one guys. Are there any other thoughts here?

It could be a mental issue where the OP is creating the symptoms because he knows about the leak?
    Does anyone else experience the irritation and burning when they are in the house?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

More info from the op could be helpfull. Was the upstairs unit running normally before replacing the coil? Maybe the system had low air flow due to the old coil being clogged with dirt and now with a new clean coil the increased air flow is blowing dirt & VOC's out of the ductwork.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

How Long Was System Down

To repeat previous poster, How long was the system off??
    Is it possible A/C pan held water and while unit was off to became a Mold farm??
    I beleive mold can cause the irritations you mentioned??

Even if phosgene was created during a leak repair, if he's been ventilating the room with fans it's long gone. I've worked with various refrigerants for 20 years with no effects like you're describing. I've been hit with phosgene several times (including when a compressor blew it's terminals while I was standing next to it, bathing me in burning refrigerant and oil). The effect is strong but clears immediately when you get fresh air.

I suspect you're getting irritated by insulation, dust or mold that was disturbed during the repair, or some other environmental contaminant. I also agree with the mental thing, you might just be working yourself up. Have a duct cleaning/inspection done.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

Twilly says were would he get phosgene
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

This is the same thread as the one linked on the pro-residential forum.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=901342

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    This is the same thread as the one linked on the pro-residential forum.
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=901342
    Yes Red... I asked that he call you since you were in his area. He got your info off of the Contractors Locator Map.

It could possibly be due to oil vapor.

Here's an MSDS sheet.

http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/MSDS/English/4310.pdf

I've experienced mild irritation myself a few times over the years due to exposure to atomized mineral oil. That could have been due to acid in the oil, but I can't say for certain. Could have been just the oil itself.

I'm voting for CO. Most the the furnaces I've seen would require removal of the flue pipe to replace the coil. If they forgot they forgot to reconnect it and its' a common attic pipe also used for a HWT, I could see an issue.

If they forgot the solder a connection and failed to use proper procedures to charge the system, what else did they forget to do.

Time to call the owner to come out with a gas detector/sniffer and see what is up there. The Gas company or fire department might be willing to do this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    I'm voting for CO. Most the the furnaces I've seen would require removal of the flue pipe to replace the coil. If they forgot they forgot to reconnect it and its' a common attic pipe also used for a HWT, I could see an issue.

If they forgot the solder a connection and failed to use proper procedures to charge the system, what else did they forget to do.

Time to call the owner to come out with a gas detector/sniffer and see what is up there. The Gas company or fire department might be willing to do this as well.
    The HO already had the Gas Company out there, no CO content. Don't know if CO was checked when Water was running or not but this was the first thing I thought of. Read back a bit...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast