Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by STALLEN View Post
    Our AC company replaced our evaporator coil. They 'forgot' to solder something that led to all the freon (r-22) being leaked out into our attic. They came back to replace the freon and solder the part. Since then (about 6 days) we have experienced eye irritation and burning in lungs when upstairs. We have actually had to stay in a hotel. This has persisted despite a lot of ventilation with fans and open windows.

From my reading this could be refrigerant oil that leaked out with the freon but I don't see any oil around the unit. If freon caused the symptoms, I would think it would be gone by now. The company is coming back out today but I don't have the greatest faith them.

We would really appreciate any suggestions.
    That statement means you need to find another contractor.

There is no "forgetting" that causes a leak.
    If a joint was missed, then a semi-qualified tech would have noticed it BEFORE they put refrigerant in it, and BEFORE they hooked a vacuum pump up to it.

After all connections are made, nitrogen is put in the system for the purpose of leak checking. This would have shown the leak.

After the system appears to be leak free, a vacuum pump is use to pull the system into an extreme vacuum. This would have shown any leak that the nitrogen did not show.

The fact that someone "forgot" to braze something means that they didn't use nitrogen for leak checking.
    It also means they didn't use a micron gauge. (this measures how good of a vacuum is pulled, and also shows if the system is "dirty", or clean.)

Or, they didn't do any of the above, in this case, you need to upgrade from pissed to extremely pissed.

Back to the original post.

After 6 days, I find it hard to believe that the refrigerant is still in the attic.
    If refrigerant was so easily contained, that a attic would hold the refrigerant, than the entire idea of recovering refrigerant is out the window.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    The simple truth is that the refrigerant when exposed to open flame/high temperatures can turn into phosgene gas. Facts related to phosgene poisoning can be found in this link http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/phosgene/basics/facts.asp

Twilly says the temps in the attic will not create phosgene. Even when exposed to open flame phosgene gas is unlikely to be formed. This isn't to correct Tipsrfine but to subdue the fears of the home owner.

As many here have indicated they have sniffed/been exposed to freon for years will no ill effects.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilly says R-22 doesn't create phosgene gas anyway.......http://www.refrigerants.com/msds.htm

Twilly cuts to the chase....

Being extremely toxic in small amounts, phosgene formation was a real concern when traditional refrigerants (R11, R- 12, R- 113, R- 114) decomposed. Phosgene contains two chlorine atoms and an oxygen atom. It will only form when oxygen is present and only the refrigerants with chlorine attached will produce phosgene (not HFCs). R22 has only one chlorine atom per molecule, so it is extremely difficult, chemically speaking, to get another one attached to form phosgene. Decomposition of R-22 or HFCs may form other carbonyl fluorides, however they are not as toxic as phosgene

Twilly used to be professor.

Twilly says Dad is right and you should have someone that is competent to check for CO.

Sometimes this constantly having to learn that what you've been taught is not entirely correct gets old. Phosgene gas creation is highly unlikely from r-22 being exposed to flame, and carbonyl flouride creation is more likely, but wikipedia states:

Carbonyl fluoride is the chemical compound with the formula COF2. This gas, like its analog phosgene, is highly toxic.

Some people are just much more susceptable to being exposed to certain things than others, so I think it is posible that the op's complaints COULD be related to the release of refrigerent in this case; whether it be phosgene or carbonyl flouride.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Twilly knew u wasa researchin

I would recommend you go to the hardware store and pick up a co detector you should have one any ways

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly knew u wasa researchin
    You know it. I swear, if I had a nickel for everytime someone on this site showed me something I was taught was wrong I would be rich. My favorite memory was when I posted the comment "you can't shine s**t", and someone posted a link from myth busters that showed that yes you can shine it. It makes you scared to open your mouth. Thanks Twilly!
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Twilly says how you think Twilly found out Twilly said the same thing one time and got corrected. Twilly was glad to know it. Twilly says keep on learnin, thats why we are here.

Name:  shinola.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  6.7 KB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast