Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

eye and lung irritation after freon leak

Our AC company replaced our evaporator coil. They 'forgot' to solder something that led to all the freon (r-22) being leaked out into our attic. They came back to replace the freon and solder the part. Since then (about 6 days) we have experienced eye irritation and burning in lungs when upstairs. We have actually had to stay in a hotel. This has persisted despite a lot of ventilation with fans and open windows.

From my reading this could be refrigerant oil that leaked out with the freon but I don't see any oil around the unit. If freon caused the symptoms, I would think it would be gone by now. The company is coming back out today but I don't have the greatest faith them.

We would really appreciate any suggestions.

I have breathed it in for years with no adverse affects, the oil would have never stayed suspended in air that you could ingest it? Are you sure it is the freon, or something that was already in your duct work?

I agree, never had those complaints from a refrigerant leak, and unfortunately there is a lot of leakers out there!, never experienced those symptoms myself either, I agree with the last guy, check duct work

do you have an electronic air cleaner by chance?

never heard of those complaints before, absolutely NEVER!

The only time

I heard of this was when we had a major leak in a mechanical room and the refrigerant contacted an open flame from a gas pilot light. Then you can have some serious issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I heard of this was when we had a major leak in a mechanical room and the refrigerant contacted an open flame from a gas pilot light. Then you can have some serious issues.

Hence my question about the EAC

Twilly has huffed freezone for yrs abd not ille effacts at ale.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly has huffed freezone for yrs abd not ille effacts at ale.
    It's great for corns, but I wouldn't huff it.

I have worked with Freon for over 30 years, leakers ect. No problems yet.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

never experienced or heard of anyone experiencing these issues with refrigerant, unless its burned or a person is engulfed with it your okay, have the service company prove it to you with an electronic leak detector, they pick up refrigerant in the parts per million per year range, if you really have refrigerant in your living space or attic it will pick it up.

I wonder if your overreacting, sort of a mental thing. The only thing it would do is displace the oxygen in your lungs, you may have gotten dizzy if you were right over the leak breathing like 10,000 breaths per minute.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Insulation will do that . Have them make sure no duct was damaged while they were in the attic. Highly doubt it's from the R22.

The simple truth is that the refrigerant when exposed to open flame/high temperatures can turn into phosgene gas. Facts related to phosgene poisoning can be found in this link http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/phosgene/basics/facts.asp
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast