hvaccoil Guest

Restricted Coil Help

An installer installed a Trane XR15 complete system inside and out in April 2010. I purchased the preventative maintenace for 3 years. The installer did the PM in October 2010 but failed to contact me to set up the PM for April 2011. I contacted them in early July to ask about the April PM because I wasn't sure that my system was working efficiently and was told that they will have to squeeze it in because their first priority is getting the cold air back on for customers. They said they would call when they could get to it.

I called them back at the end of July because the unit just wasn't cooling properly. The installer indicated the unit was under warranty and would send someone out. The service tech indicated that the evaporator coil was 50% restricted and would need to be replaced. He contacted his corporate office, they found the part and scheduled the work. The two service techs completed the work within 2 hours and the unit is working great.

I just received a bill in the mail from the installer for ESA flat rate repair price of $. I was shocked! Never a mention of the need to pay for anything, no discussion of pricing, brand new unit just over a year old, the installer failed to do the PM work in April that I paid for and now I am invoiced for this amount???

Is this right? Guidance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-09-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: price

Sounds to me

like they charged you for labor (BTW, take the pricing out of your post). Unless you have an extended warranty, Trane will cover the coil for 5 or 10 years depending on what air handler or coil you have. This is for the coil only, and does not cover refrigerant, driers, etc. I would call the service company immediately to find out what the deal is. You may need to get legal counsel if they did work you did not approve or they did not provide a written quote.

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    like they charged you for labor (BTW, take the pricing out of your post). Unless you have an extended warranty, Trane will cover the coil for 5 or 10 years depending on what air handler or coil you have. This is for the coil only, and does not cover refrigerant, driers, etc. I would call the service company immediately to find out what the deal is. You may need to get legal counsel if they did work you did not approve or they did not provide a written quote.
    Exactly right, what greg said

Twilly says they are bound by law in most states to give you an estimate of costs.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Call the owner and explain the situation,expecially the part about how they did not get there while the unit was still under the 1 year labor warranty. Odds are it's a miscommunication issue in the office and he'll straighten it out.

agree with every one here. you have been charged the labor to put the new coil in. if you were never given a written estimate, call the owner, he will drop the price. if not, you picked the wrong company to do your install.

. i would call and talk with the service manager first and then the owner .

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly says they are bound by law in most states to give you an estimate of costs.
    If only hospitals/doctors would do the same...

I would look into cause of the problem. Why your 1 year old coil got 50% blocked? I think your new one is going to do the same thing in one year if nothing changed.

what do you mean by "blocked coil"? blocked with dust/dirt or blocked internally (refrigeration lines)?

Why did you wait till july to call them about your April PM?

How is a dirty blocked coil a warranty issue?

I think they should have taken care of you like they promised. Not your responsibility to schedule your PM but if April almost comes to an end and there is no call I would be on the phone. Best of Luck.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.