Trane XR16 Matched Sytem Questions

Hi All,

I'm a newbie here and have been reading the forums recently to learn about my options in replacing a 16 year old 2.5 ton Lennox system that is starting to fail in this central texas 105+ heat. You have a lot of smart guys on here so I would like to request your opinion on what my HVAC rep has recommended. I'm less concerned about the cost than I am the comfort. This system is solely for the second level of our home, about 1400 sq feet.

He's recommending a "matched" system with the following units:
    4TTR5030E1000A (2.5 ton XR15 AC)
    4TXCB004BC3HCA (couldn't find # this in Trane information, assume it's the coil)
    TUD1B080A9H31B (XT80 furnace/air handler)

He says that this system will give 16 SEER and 13 EER.

First Question: Are these truly matched and do they give the SEER and EER rating he says they do?

Apparently, based on my reading here, the AC and air handler are single stage units, which as I understand it, means that the compressor runs at 100% capacity when on and there is only one fan speed. I don't think this is ideal and could lead to indoor humidity problems (in the years we have rain). (This happened with our Lennox system previously and the HVAC company installed a Carrier thermostat and humidistat (I think) so the AC unit would stay on longer with the fan running at lower speed. They said it was cooling too fast.)

Second Question: If I were to get a variable fan air handler and a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat, would that give me the benefit of two-stage cooling? I understand the compressor would be still be operating at 100% and I would just have variable fan speeds depending on temp and humidity levels. Is this recommended or better just to get a two-stage AC unit?

Third Question: Is there a two-stage XR15 and a variable fan air handler that would be better solution and could get a Seer of 17.5, which Trane literature says is possible with an XR15? I'm thinking maybe a 2.5 or 3-ton two stage XR 15, if it exists, might be a better fit.

Final question: Does a 2.5 ton system using the newer R410 freon provide the same cooling comfort as a 2.5 ton using the old freon?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Masterofnone

The IAQ won't give you 2 stage cooling but it will allow you to interface with the dehumidify on demand feature of the XV80. I would do this over getting the XL16i.

There is not a 2 stage XR15 in smaller sizes. Yes, 410 cools as well as 22.

You want trane xl16i not xr! Xl will give you 2 speed comp, total communication among all equipment parts and varible speed blower. Better go with 3 ton unit though in your climate imo. As far as honeywell iaq tstat, not gonna work with communicating system. It will, but you lose communication benefits. Fortunately for you, trane just out with a brand new to the market communicating tstat. Go do some research on xl16i.

Most definitely get the indoor unit with an ecm motor with a dehum control ie:branded or honeywell. In my situation i would not buy above a 14 seer condesor, but your case is different.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacguru69 View Post
    You want trane xl16i not xr! Xl will give you 2 speed comp, total communication among all equipment parts and varible speed blower. Better go with 3 ton unit though in your climate imo. As far as honeywell iaq tstat, not gonna work with communicating system. It will, but you lose communication benefits. Fortunately for you, trane just out with a brand new to the market communicating tstat. Go do some research on xl16i.
    The Communicating XL16i was discontinued almost 2 yrs ago. The XL 20i is the only communicating condenser Trane has at the moment. I recommend the XR15 over any other condenser Trane makes when it comes to SEER Vs. Equipment cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    The Communicating XL16i was discontinued almost 2 yrs ago. The XL 20i is the only communicating condenser Trane has at the moment.
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I recall hearing this too, but the XL16i is still listed on Trane's website (along with some new "i" models that were introduced since your post). Was the 16i killed and later revived, or is the website that far out of date?

thx

Attention HVACguru69, wogpa67 and ginahoy, This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.