Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Comments on Trane CleanEffects Maintenance and Reliability?

I'm considering the Trane CleanEffects filter with XV95 and Trane AC. What is the maintenance like on these filters? It looks like several filters have to be removed and washed? Or just vacuumed with a shop van? How often? It seems like I would be more exposed to dust and pollen (I have allergies) during the cleaning process than I might want to be or would be just swapping conventional filters?

Any comments on the reliability of these units?

Not really familiar with that model, and not a fan of electronic air cleaners, so I generally recommend a plain 5" media filter.
    The filter in your HVAC system is not there to clean the air in your home, it is there to protect the equipment from dust and dirt.
    If you have special air filtration needs, look into whole house air cleaners.
    I'm not an expert on indoor air quality, but there are many on this site who are, and can give excellent advice in this area.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

you should clean the pre filter at least every month or two

I am a Trane dealer and hate them

Not exactly a ringing endorsement there Danimal!
    Can you elaborate?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

i like the april aire 2200 filter!

Cool Trane Clean Effects filter system.

We do them all the time and they take a LOT of time to clean properly. You have three basic elements: the pre-filter, EAC and honeycomb filters. Here's my procedure:
    Kill the power to the unit. Remove the power cord to the filter cover panel. Turn the knob and rotate the cover door out and lift away. Note the placement of the two hinge tabs. These can be a PIA to get back in place later.

pull the pre-filter and take outside. Blow out with compressed air against the normal flow of air and brush. This has a plastic gride forming a lot of little boxes so there are a lot of corners to clean out. I've tried power washing but it is easy to tear the plastic screen so be careful

Pull the middle element, which is the EAC. Using a screwgun, remove all the stainless steel screws that hold the stainless steel plate with all the 2" holes in it. Wipe/scrub both sides using a soft clean cotton rag and rubbing alcohol. Wipe down each of the needles and each plastic vane that forms the supporting grid. Re-assemble with screws.

Pull the two honeycomb grids and take outside. Blow out with compressed air inside-out. Wipe down electrical contacts with alcohol.

Brush, vacuum and wipe with alcohol the rails in the return drop.

When re-installing, maintain the order and esp. be sure the electrical contacts are oriented towards the center. Wipe down the back side of the cover door and four electrical contacts. Re-set the filter change indicator by plugging the power cord back in, turn power back on, then hold the button down about 8 seconds so it clears. Check the thermostat to verify that it reset. Elapsed time about 45 minutes.

These things are rated as medical grade air filtration but are a PIA. Just get a decent media filter like a Space Guard and be done with it.

The problems if they filter too good and clog up quick so if you do not clean them regularly you will cause your equipment to fail. I like the 5" media filters or aprilaire 2200

Wow hearthman that's quite a cleaning procedure!

All I do is spray the prefilter with a garden hose, fanned out so it's gentle, it's clean in 30 seconds. As far as the bug zapper portion and the honeycomb, if it's dirty or a smoker's house they really get gummed up, I use a dilluted solution of HD Calclean and rinse well with garden hose, blow the water off with compressed air. Probably a 10-15 minute job. The 2nd and 3rd sections only need cleaning about twice a year. Prefilter every month.

Not a person who recommends Trane.
    Ask your Trane dealer the cost of replacing an OD fan motor, an ID fan motor and a compressor,
    Then ask a contractor who sells equipment that uses universal parts.

Manufacturer means very little.
    The design and install is what makes a system good or bad.

I get the impression that most of you don't like the CleanEffects filter.

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was concerned it might become a pita and I don't do maintenance stuff like I should anyway. I'll look into the Aprilaire device that was mentioned a couple of times. But I thought it was basically very similar.

I am warrantying a CE door tomorrow. 1.5 years old. HO not too happy.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    We do them all the time and they take a LOT of time to clean properly. You have three basic elements: the pre-filter, EAC and honeycomb filters. Here's my procedure:
    Kill the power to the unit. Remove the power cord to the filter cover panel. Turn the knob and rotate the cover door out and lift away. Note the placement of the two hinge tabs. These can be a PIA to get back in place later.

pull the pre-filter and take outside. Blow out with compressed air against the normal flow of air and brush. This has a plastic gride forming a lot of little boxes so there are a lot of corners to clean out. I've tried power washing but it is easy to tear the plastic screen so be careful

Pull the middle element, which is the EAC. Using a screwgun, remove all the stainless steel screws that hold the stainless steel plate with all the 2" holes in it. Wipe/scrub both sides using a soft clean cotton rag and rubbing alcohol. Wipe down each of the needles and each plastic vane that forms the supporting grid. Re-assemble with screws.

Pull the two honeycomb grids and take outside. Blow out with compressed air inside-out. Wipe down electrical contacts with alcohol.

Brush, vacuum and wipe with alcohol the rails in the return drop.

When re-installing, maintain the order and esp. be sure the electrical contacts are oriented towards the center. Wipe down the back side of the cover door and four electrical contacts. Re-set the filter change indicator by plugging the power cord back in, turn power back on, then hold the button down about 8 seconds so it clears. Check the thermostat to verify that it reset. Elapsed time about 45 minutes.

These things are rated as medical grade air filtration but are a PIA. Just get a decent media filter like a Space Guard and be done with it.
    Nice procedure. You have any troubleshooting tips? I hate showing up and they have excess dust, system not working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast