Thread: Amp overdraw

Amp overdraw

I have an 1998 carrier tech 2000 unit the tech says is pulling 41 amps, with burned contacts? It runs and cools fine, the electric bill is normal.

Should I replace? What would a unit normally pull in amps? 5 tons

It should say on the side of the unit "RLA" not "LRA". 41 seems high

41 amps is very high for a 1998 vintage tech 2000, I'am guessing its a 38TKB OR 38TRA series unit, was any explanation giving as to why the amps were so high ? dirty coils, overcharge of refrigerant, low voltage, poor electrical connections, were the refrigerant pressures and temperatures normal ?
    I would think a unit with a RLA of around 30 that was drawing 41 amps would be tripping the compressor overload and not cooling properly. Why was it that you originally called for a technician to check the system?

His one and only suggestion was to replace the system?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthington View Post
    His one and only suggestion was to replace the system?
    Unit replacement is more profitable then fixing the real problem.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It almost seems to be double what it should be. I wondewr if you had an inexperienced tech whom took amp draw on both legs and added them together. Seems if you had amp draw that high you would have some problems. Get a second opinion before you decide to replace the unit.

Yes, get second opinion. Did tech mention taking reading of the run capacitor? Might wanna verify run cap is proper size. Or verify run cap is even hooked up, some shady cats have tendency to disconnect it, but compressor still starts with use of supplied ptc device.

2 years ago replace the hard start kit, and he then told me it was pulling overamps and contacts were dirty. He cleaned them and start kit got the unit running. Everything else checked out ok.

This time I called tech because the unit would trip the 60 amp breaker at about 4-5am. I would go reset and compressor would start. Coils are clean. But the trip outside everynight isn't much fun. Maybe god is telling me to wake up earlier.

Yes his solution was replace the unit.
    Electric bill is in normal range.

Quote Originally Posted by fbhero View Post
    2 years ago replace the hard start kit, and he then told me it was pulling overamps and contacts were dirty. He cleaned them and start kit got the unit running. Everything else checked out ok.

This time I called tech because the unit would trip the 60 amp breaker at about 4-5am. I would go reset and compressor would start. Coils are clean. But the trip outside everynight isn't much fun. Maybe god is telling me to wake up earlier.

Yes his solution was replace the unit.
    Electric bill is in normal range.
    Just call a reputable company in the morning to get second opinion. Ive never seen a contactor that just needs contacts cleaned, they pit and burn and get replaced. Start kit does nothing for amp draw after the compressor is running for about 2-5 sec. Maybe your electric bill seems normal to you, have you asked some of your neighbors what they pay? 13 year old unit giving you fits with compressor, id advise you if the compressor needs replaced, just buy new system