Now Living In Florida & Wall Unit In Florida Room Drips Water - What to do?

Hello,
    My family and I recently moved to Northeast Florida and are becoming acquainted with a new lifestyle. We previously lived in Kentucky and have been homeowners for approx 11 years (9 different houses along the way)... I was also a business owner.

Now, the business I owned had a wall unit (to augment the existing HVAC system... I know, I know... that shouldn't really be necessary and all that but the building was quite unique in shape and design and downstairs where we all worked had TWO drive through windows that were constantly being opened...)
    Anyway, the reason I mention it is because that particular wall unit NEVER dripped any water at any time (and I had it for well over 10 years).

In our new home in Florida we have a large Florida room which was an addition to the house by the previous owners. It's quite nice and of high quality. Double paned insulated sliding glass windows and double sided insulated aluminum walls (if you can call them that) and supports...

The unit is placed on the House side of the room above our dining room door and it's compressor is out the side door of the Florida Room... so, the unit is at least 10 feet up... maybe a little more ... and I suspect that's where the hottest air is.

We have two ceiling fans which we run to circulate the air AND we've taken to opening the sliding doors (to the dining room) and another door to an office in order to get the houses primary A/C to augment the cooling of the Florida room.

We generally let the houses primary A/C run for an hour or so before turning on the wall unit...

Even still, after the room starts to cool down a little bit, water appears to condense on the directional louvers (is that the right word?)...

It appears to drip from the center of the two louvers and creates a splashy puddle on the floor... if we don't catch it in time it will cause our area rug to get wet... etc...

Here is the unit I'm talking about:
    http://catalog.mitsubishipro.com/cat...r-conditioners

MITSUBISHI Mr. SLIM

I'm wondering if this could be as simple as a clogged drain line (if so, where would I find it?)....
    But because of where the water comes from, I almost think it's just condensing on the louvers... and then what? Install a gutter system UNDER the unit with a drain line going outside?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ick

PS - if I left out any information please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

BTW, I'm really not asking for instructions on how to fix my problem... I'm just seeking input as to what my problem might be.
    Trying no to violate the DIY rules...
    My post is strictly curious as I want to understand the unit in my wall a little better so I am better able to decide on what to do next.

Thanks again.

Could be a drain clog, could be icing up, probably a simple fix. The louver should not condensate under normal conditions and even if it did, it shouldn't form a puddle
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaDave View Post
    Could be a drain clog, could be icing up, probably a simple fix. The louver should not condensate under normal conditions and even if it did, it shouldn't form a puddle
    OK... that's encouraging. Thank you.

How would I locate the pan and drain so I can check them out?

OK... Well... I couldn't figure out how to access the drain pan... so... I went outside and found the drain hose... I just blew through it as hard as I could... It didn't want to let me at first but then it gave in...
    Meanwhile, back inside, there was some dripping!

So... I suspected I had unclogged it... I turned it on and let it run for the better part of an hour. Voila!!! No sign of drippage

Probably you did clear a clog, but you blew it back into the unit and it will return bigger than before.

Next time clear it with a shop vac so you will suck it out of the line and it will be gone for good.

Quick test that all is well is to put a container under the drain line and see that the condensate is actually making it out.
    Last edited by jeff520; 08-08-2011 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added test suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by jeff520 View Post
    Probably you did clear a clog, but you blew it back into the unit and it will return bigger than before.

Next time clear it with a shop vac so you will suck it out of the line and it will be gone for good.

Quick test that all is well is to put a container under the drain line and see that the condensate is actually making it out.
    You're exactly right! That appears to be what happened.
    I do have a Shop Vac and will do as you suggest. Thank you very much.