Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 63

Thread: Sman3 question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    maroon lazyboy
    Posts
    1,049

    Sman3 question

    I want to buy the sman3's but I do sometimes get caught in the rain while charging. I haven't heard anything about how weatherproof they are.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    I want to buy the sman3's but I do sometimes get caught in the rain while charging. I haven't heard anything about how weatherproof they are.
    Don't think they are waterproof... I know the digi cools can be put in a sink!

    Also the FP is having manifold issues..


    Can someone help me on this question that has been bugging me. IF your a member of this forum most likely everyone knows that the Digi's are the best. But people still spring for a POS and come here later and complain that the thing doesn't work. (Note: OP that was not directed to you) Why not just buy what we all have tested and know works??
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    53
    i have no issues with my sman, yet atleast. i really love the thing to be honest.

    to OP if im caught out in the rain charging, ill just throw the jacket it comes with on, turn the back light on and take a peak from under neath.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hamilton Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Why not just buy what we all have tested and know works??
    I started out with the Digi cools 1200 clamp wire broke the first week I had it after many repairs I stopped using the clamp. Bought the Testo 550 never had a problem with it yet. I saw the Sman3 and thought what the heck and picked one up to test it out. Have been using it everyday since I got it about 2 months ago. The high side clamp broke on me Friday. I have since pulled the Digi cool apart and cut the plug adpter out and installed my own wires and plug. Using a set up I bought from Radio shack. Looks like a stereo head phone jack mini style. So I am sure it does not matter which ones people buy there will always be something come up that is wrong.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    maroon lazyboy
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    Don't think they are waterproof... I know the digi cools can be put in a sink!

    Also the FP is having manifold issues..


    Can someone help me on this question that has been bugging me. IF your a member of this forum most likely everyone knows that the Digi's are the best. But people still spring for a POS and come here later and complain that the thing doesn't work. (Note: OP that was not directed to you) Why not just buy what we all have tested and know works??
    good point. Here's my reason.

    The manifold that I have now, I would like to keep intact as a backup. IOW If I bought digicool, I would need to buy new manifold and hoses.

    I like the idea of choosing my manifold.... but 1250's plus manifold and hoses = too much moola

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hamilton Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,406
    I have my 1200 Digi cools sitting on the Brute 4 valve manifold with yellow jacket 1/4 turn style hoses. Been using them on and off for a couple of years. Just installed new valve seats this morning for the heck of it. Good as new

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    good point. Here's my reason.

    The manifold that I have now, I would like to keep intact as a backup. IOW If I bought digicool, I would need to buy new manifold and hoses.

    I like the idea of choosing my manifold.... but 1250's plus manifold and hoses = too much moola
    Ok, hear me out. Maybe I'm crazy and if I am please say so. This is my thinking..

    So lets say you buy the $300.00 manifold. You use them for a 6 months and have problems with them. You say the hell with this, Let my try these dig's that everyone has been raving about. Now you spent 300.00 for a paper weight and that brings you up to a total of $900.00!! Now that is too much moola if you ask me.
    Plus with dig's you don't have to buy a new manifold. Use what you got. YOu won't need a back up because they just work. SO there you have it.. BTW that first paragraph happened to one of my buddies. I still say " I told you so" lol.

    Buy it once dude. Save up for the Best. Look on this forum, There are far more Problems with the other Brands out there. I mean do what you want. This is my opinion. Ive spent a lot of extra money doing what your talking about right now and it pisses me off that I have leak detectors and micron gauge paper weights sitting in my garage.I can't throw them out because the were about $200 bucks. But if I would have spent the extra $$ I would have saved frustration and money. Hell I could have 2 digs for the money I spent on the JUNK
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    DFW,TX
    Posts
    2,211
    speaking of which has the new digi aks been tested proven and released in the field full time yet?

    Ptemko is correct they all have issues but the Digis 1250s do seem like the best ive used especially since ive also made the mods to the temp probes the same way as described here and ever since they have been bullet proof..

    however i rotate using them and my 550s and like them both the digis for mostly 410 and the 550s for mostly r22... the 550s only issues of late with hard core usage over two years is the damn clamp probes go out like no tomorrow... i need another one now.. been through about 5 now already .. if i can find a Mod for those id be in lala land..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    maroon lazyboy
    Posts
    1,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post

    So lets say you buy the $300.00 manifold. You use them for a 6 months and have problems with them. You say the hell with this, Let my try these dig's that everyone has been raving about. Now you spent 300.00 for a paper weight and that brings you up to a total of $900.00!! Now that is too much moola if you ask me.
    Plus with dig's you don't have to buy a new manifold. Use what you got. YOu won't need a back up because they just work. SO there you have it.. BTW that first paragraph happened to one of my buddies. I still say " I told you so" lol.

    Buy it once dude. Save up for the Best. Look on this forum, There are far more Problems with the other Brands out there. I mean do what you want. This is my opinion. Ive spent a lot of extra money doing what your talking about right now and it pisses me off that I have leak detectors and micron gauge paper weights sitting in my garage.I can't throw them out because the were about $200 bucks. But if I would have spent the extra $$ I would have saved frustration and money. Hell I could have 2 digs for the money I spent on the JUNK
    I agree with you dude... Buy it once, buy it right....

    That's why I started this thread... FP has some very quality equipment out there, backed by five star customer service... I think maybe we have a contender here lol!

    But if it can't take the rain, i'll get Digicool. You never know when our tools will get doused.

    You do what you can, but stuff happens..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    I agree with you dude... Buy it once, buy it right....

    That's why I started this thread... FP has some very quality equipment out there, backed by five star customer service... I think maybe we have a contender here lol!

    But if it can't take the rain, i'll get Digicool. You never know when our tools will get doused.

    You do what you can, but stuff happens..
    Russell and the guys at fieldpiece are top notch when it comes to service. They're presence her shows that and I really give them a thumbs up!

    I felt the same way as you with their Service and was going To buy their infrared leak detector. I decided to go with the d Tek for a couple reasons. One they're in stock locally ( I needed it) 2: talking to the guys at the supply houses they have not had many issues. Or so they say.
    I honestly did not want to take a chance with the FP stuff. I have never heard anythig bad about their leak detctor but have heard plenty about the other stuff. I mean the are priced very well but that has to sacrifice something, right?
    Good luck and let us know what you go with.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,015
    hey hey hey, Just cause i bought digis doesn't me you told me so, my 550's still work....
    I dont install leaks, i just fix em

    Sig line removed by Admin*

    Lets see if this gets removed..............

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mt.Home AR
    Posts
    175
    mine has got some rain on it and worked great...just the dang high side valve grr

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    3,074
    Quote Originally Posted by KLEINman View Post
    hey hey hey, Just cause i bought digis doesn't me you told me so, my 550's still work As a dust collector......
    HAHA!
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event