Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sorry...it is Puron...I used Freon as referring to a general refrigerant...

At least, I know what caused the AC not to work properly. Adding the freon helped the AC to keep the house two degrees below what it was capable of doing....It does not mean that there is a leak for sure....it would have been that the company did not charge the freon to the proper level from the beginning.

I hear that a lot of other companies in my neighborhood...they recharge the Freon first and let the system run a little bit longer....if the same problem comes back, they do the leak detection and suggest some repair to the problem...I would like to do the same approach... This company I dealt with...they want to do the leak detection and suggest the replacement of the coils..... quoted me the price...but I declined the leak detection in the coil....because I want to run the systems for a while....Well...I understand that they want to make money out of me...their quote is really high...and they should have suggested to me "Wait and See" first.....

What is strange is that the A/C was able to keep the house at 80-81 degree since we purchased the house.....if there is a leak....shouldn't the temperature be 90 or higher when the outside temp is 97-100 if the A/C has leaks?

Just an FYI for the folks not in the biz:

Freon is a term made up for R-22

Puron is a term made up for R-410a

Quote Originally Posted by glee314 View Post
    Sorry...it is Puron...I used Freon as referring to a general refrigerant...

At least, I know what caused the AC not to work properly. Adding the freon helped the AC to keep the house two degrees below what it was capable of doing....It does not mean that there is a leak for sure....it would have been that the company did not charge the freon to the proper level from the beginning.

I hear that a lot of other companies in my neighborhood...they recharge the Freon first and let the system run a little bit longer....if the same problem comes back, they do the leak detection and suggest some repair to the problem...I would like to do the same approach... This company I dealt with...they want to do the leak detection and suggest the replacement of the coils..... quoted me the price...but I declined the leak detection in the coil....because I want to run the systems for a while....Well...I understand that they want to make money out of me...their quote is really high...and they should have suggested to me "Wait and See" first.....

What is strange is that the A/C was able to keep the house at 80-81 degree since we purchased the house.....if there is a leak....shouldn't the temperature be 90 or higher when the outside temp is 97-100 if the A/C has leaks?
    The wait and see approach is what I do when I don't have experience with the unit. If the leak is small (needs to be recharged every 3-4 yrs) I wouldn't worry too much about it. When it is not blazing hot outside, an undercharged or overcharged system can work normally. When it gets HOT outside the margin for error in the charge becomes smaller. Many systems are undercharged from day one. An outdoor unit comes with enought refrigerant for a certain footage of line set. line sets of different lengths require adding or removing refrigerant. This how many units are under or over charged from day one. It's not always a leak.

Okay...I am getting more interested in this topic.

1. If the evap has leak....only way to fix it is to replace it? Or, is there a way to repair it?

2. The guy I used wanted to make a hole on the plenum to push his detector. Is this the only way? I don't feel comfortable with making a hole in the duct. Usually, people put the duct tape after making a hole. That tape does not last long. Isn't there other way to access the coil? Like opening the casing of the coil....in a more professional way?

3. The evap coil is 3ton. The brand is Superior and the A/C compressor is Carrier. Can I use any brand for the evap coil? Or, does it have to be a Carrier or Superior evap coil? If I can use any brand, this will expand my options when shopping for in the future.

Being the coil is out of warranty and summer is almost over I would have it checked next summer before it gets hot , if it's low you will need a leak search

Quote Originally Posted by glee314 View Post
    Okay...I am getting more interested in this topic.

1. If the evap has leak....only way to fix it is to replace it? Or, is there a way to repair it?

2. The guy I used wanted to make a hole on the plenum to push his detector. Is this the only way? I don't feel comfortable with making a hole in the duct. Usually, people put the duct tape after making a hole. That tape does not last long. Isn't there other way to access the coil? Like opening the casing of the coil....in a more professional way?

3. The evap coil is 3ton. The brand is Superior and the A/C compressor is Carrier. Can I use any brand for the evap coil? Or, does it have to be a Carrier or Superior evap coil? If I can use any brand, this will expand my options when shopping for in the future.

I think you are still getting ahead of yourself. If no one has found a leak in the evaporator coil, why do you want to buy a new one? How old is the condenser? It's always better to have an engineered matched system.

It is my personal experience that track homes built during the last housing boom in my area have poor craftsmanship when it comes to hvac system installations. Many of the systems we work on are overcharged and some are undercharged. I would not be surprised if your system has never been properly charged. So getting the unit refilled and waiting a year to see what happens is not a bad option.
    On the other hand if there is a leak and you run the ac unit when its low on refrigerant you run the risk of damaging your equipment, and possibly reducing the life expectancy of the equipment.
    It also sounds like you have not been getting annual service work/maintenance done the last few yrs. Many company's offer service check ups in the off season for less than the price of a service call in the summer. I would strongly suggest finding a company that can send you the same tech year after year to be the one that looks after you comfort.

I don't plan to replace the evap coils without leak search. But I just wanted to know more about the options of replacing the coils. That way, I can prepare myself for the possible replacement.

The leak, if it exists, seems like a small one. I would wait a year to see what happens next year.

Thanks a lot for your answers and help.....You guys are the best!!!!

Mr. Homeowner, get the heck out of the techs way and let him do his job. From what you have said, he was doing everything he was supposed to be doing!!! You not letting him take the freaking access door off the unit is a joke. I would have gathered my tools and pulled off the job. Frankly, you were treating the tech rudely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12