Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Trane XB13, XB14 or XR15?

I am replacing my Goodman AC unit that lasted total of 6 years...

I am debating between the below 3 units, could anyone know if the benefit is more than the cost? Here is the SEER and additional cost that I got quoted.

XB13 = 13.5 SEER
    XB14 = 15 SEER / $ additional to XB13
    XR15 = 15.5 SEER /$ additional to XB13

Which one you guys think I should install? I live in Maryland BTW.

Thanks!
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 08-05-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: removed pricing

There is no reason a unit only lasted 6 years even if it's a goodman.

You need to find a good contractor to figure that out.

I am not familiar with trane model numbers but I think the "B" means builder grade.
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

I did... I had 2 different contractors look at it. I think because the unit was never maintenance... My parents didn't take care of it, I think there are just a combination of things that happened.

Both contractors used booster to kick start the compressor, then it got over heat in seconds and stopped.

I think the XB is just good as the XR, so is it worth the extra cost to get the XR?

I would take the xr 15 you are doing a complete system i hope ,also I would not use the same contractor that installed the goodman

Thanks Catman for the quick reply.

Well, there is no problem with gas furnace, even tho it's Goodman... I really don't want to spend the extra money since it is running fine, and that too is only 6 years old (New built house).

Anyone else think I should go with the XR15 instead?

Thanks.

Hard to get 15 from the XR15 with a standard furnace inside but it can be done. Check the AHRI rating, some matches could be 14 and under. In a mild climate, I'd probably go 13 SEER. If really hot or super high electric rates, it might pay to go XR15 if you can find a coil match that really gives 15. Even though I removed your prices due to site rules, I saw them and the premiums for the 14 & 15 are pretty high and would take quite a while to pay you back. Putting the same money into insulation or new door or whatever would pay back SO much faster.

Mechanically, compressor & coil wise, the XB is the same as the XR.

Thanks Loonie, that answer is very helpful!

Sorry, I did read the rule, but I thought putting the additional $ and not the base quote would not violate it.

It seems because the temperature has been 100 degree lately, and without an AC, quite a few contractors I talked to looking to charge very high premium. I don't blame them, but hopefully I can find a reasonable and reputable contractor.

BTW, I am from Baltimore county, MD, so anyone that knows a good contractor, please do let me know.

Thanks again for everyone that replied to this thread!
    Last edited by Gangawu; 08-05-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added detail

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Gangawu View Post
    I am replacing my Goodman AC unit that lasted total of 6 years...

I am debating between the below 3 units, could anyone know if the benefit is more than the cost? Here is the SEER and additional cost that I got quoted.

XB13 = 13.5 SEER
    XB14 = 15 SEER / $ additional to XB13
    XR15 = 15.5 SEER /$ additional to XB13

Which one you guys think I should install? I live in Maryland BTW.

Thanks!
    just curious, what exactly happened to your quality goodman a.c. unit?
    the motto for goodman hvac , is thank "goodess for goodman!"

XR better warranty

XB is builders grade don't buy an XB model, units built on Friday's ,hypotheticaly speaking
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Depends on what its being matched with too. As Bald Loonie said, its not worth the extra for the XR15 if you don't get at least 15 seer out of it. I'm a Florida boy so I can't help you with furnace selection but if its matched with an air handler you can get up too 16 SEER without breaking the bank. The XR15 is the best bang for the buck in that case.
    Quote Originally Posted by k-fridge View Post
    The laws of physics know no brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    just curious, what exactly happened to your quality goodman a.c. unit?
    the motto for goodman hvac , is thank "goodess for goodman!"
    You know, I wish I can tell you. Maybe it is the techs that came out, both didn't explain that well to me. They both said there something wrong with the inside.... I wish I follow up more, but I have no knowledge of HAVC whatsoever.

The compression just.. stop compressing, the unit fan is running, but can't get the compressor to start.

They both did used a booster/hard start to kick started the compressor, but after like 5 seconds, it over heat and shut off (while making some funny noise). So, I just took their word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    XR better warranty

XB is builders grade don't buy an XB model, units built on Friday's ,hypotheticaly speaking
    XR does give better warranty by 5 years on parts, but what do you mean by XB is builders grade don't buy an XB model?

Thanks.

it's cheaper mainly cause of the warranty, I can't back it but I have put a few in and have had sub par results, compared to the XR models. + wouldn't you rather have the extra 5 yr warranty on major components.

I don't reccomend anyone to buy the cheapest model of anybrand on any thing you buy, there are reason's it's cheaper, and usually if your like me it will bite you.

builders grade= built to be competitive with mass produced housing, where $7-800 per house over 40- 50 houses in a development = much better profits for the contractor, and with really no concern for the end owner.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

What about

the XR13? Tha would be a 4TTR30XX. Same warranty as XR15, but less $.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast