Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GKW, could u post a pic of your unit? I would like to see it

Thanks for the info guys. This is why I come here. Best collection of knowledge available.
    Unfortunately this system is not running anymore. Looks like someone tried to move it and kinked the lineset and the copper twisted open.
    Guess they gave up on it. The indoor coil is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by GKW View Post
    HTML Code:
    That IS the problem.... 
    b
    Sounds like a good problem to me Gross. That 1982 unit has had very little maintenance in the 30 years it has been operating. Had to replace the condensing unit fan motor back in 1998 and add a little freon twice in 30 years. A rough calculation shows the EER to be around 9. For the same size houses in my neighborhood with newer A/Cs my electric bill does not run higher than my neighbors. I'm sitting in my house right now with the outdoor db at 92F and the inside at 77F and 44% RH. Yesterday the outside temperature peaked at 96F and the unit maintained 77F and ran continuously most of the day. So, other than age (like myself), how is that a problem?

That 1982 unit is probably an 8 SEER, so your probably not even close to a 9 EER. probably closer to 6 or 7 EER.

Just checking the wattage use does tell you the EER.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

For BParson03

Attached is a picture of my old unit I took this morning. Mounted on the outside wall to the left of it is a York heat recovery unit to heat hot water installed at the same time as the A/C. It lasted about 8 years before the internal circulating pump went out. I contacted York and they said parts were no longer available. Just as well as I could never see a difference in my electric bill (electric hot water heater) with or with out the recovery unit.

For beenthere

I am sure you are right about the EER. I just took the nameplate data and did a rough calculation
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up

For BParson03

Attached is a picture of my old unit I took this morning. Mounted on the outside wall to the left of it is a York heat recovery unit to heat hot water installed at the same time as the A/C. It lasted about 8 years before the internal circulating pump went out. I contacted York and they said parts were no longer available. Just as well as I could never see a difference in my electric bill (electric hot water heater) with or with out the recovery unit.

For beenthere

I am sure you are right about the EER. I just took the nameplate data and did a rough calculation
    that looks like a ol heil unit, they were build to LAST, they may cost a little n=more on electric use, but save a $$$$ lot on maintenance, one of the reasons that unit lasted so long is because the unit can breath, you don't have a lot of trees and bushes aaroung the unit which make it run hotter! units like to BREATH! he when that unit finally goes, i'll be at the funeral to pay my respects! good luck!

For beenthere

Name plate data is unreliable, since it only shows Nominal capacity, not actual. And the amp draw listing is at ARI/AHRI conditions only. 95 outdoor temp, 80DB and 67 WB indoor conditions.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12