Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Souderton, PA
    Posts
    14

    Any info for old Sears AC

    I have a friend that has an old ac that was in a house they bought. Just would like some info if anyone has any.

    Brand name - Sears
    Model 33TD9462OT
    Style T00910
    Another number on nameplate H40659062
    As well as 867.816840

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    799
    made in 1984.
    they need a new one....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,991
    A customer has one of those in a rental property....it still works and he won't replace it because he is not paying the electric bill

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    12
    My unit is a Sears Model # 816.817810 (2 ton) installed in spring 1982 and still running like new. My Sears owners manual list the 816.81740 along with some data. The tonnage isn’t given but appears to be around 3.5 tons. Is there any specific information you want and I will look in the owners manual I have.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by GKW View Post
    ... installed in spring 1982 and still running like new. .
    That IS the problem....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Confused

    Quote Originally Posted by 360dart View Post
    I have a friend that has an old ac that was in a house they bought. Just would like some info if anyone has any.

    Brand name - Sears
    Model 33TD9462OT
    Style T00910
    Another number on nameplate H40659062
    As well as 867.816840

    Thanks for your help.
    you have a oldie but a goodie, one of the resons those old units lasted longer, was the compressor windings were 12 gauge wire, were as the newer units have 16 gauge wire for compressor motor. good luck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    12
    HTML Code:
    That IS the problem.... 
    b
    Sounds like a good problem to me Gross. That 1982 unit has had very little maintenance in the 30 years it has been operating. Had to replace the condensing unit fan motor back in 1998 and add a little freon twice in 30 years. A rough calculation shows the EER to be around 9. For the same size houses in my neighborhood with newer A/Cs my electric bill does not run higher than my neighbors. I'm sitting in my house right now with the outdoor db at 92F and the inside at 77F and 44% RH. Yesterday the outside temperature peaked at 96F and the unit maintained 77F and ran continuously most of the day. So, other than age (like myself), how is that a problem?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by GKW View Post
    HTML Code:
    That IS the problem.... 
    b
    Sounds like a good problem to me Gross. That 1982 unit has had very little maintenance in the 30 years it has been operating. Had to replace the condensing unit fan motor back in 1998 and add a little freon twice in 30 years. A rough calculation shows the EER to be around 9. For the same size houses in my neighborhood with newer A/Cs my electric bill does not run higher than my neighbors. I'm sitting in my house right now with the outdoor db at 92F and the inside at 77F and 44% RH. Yesterday the outside temperature peaked at 96F and the unit maintained 77F and ran continuously most of the day. So, other than age (like myself), how is that a problem?
    two reasons:
    its not an antique...lol..

    because if you can achieve those numbers with that, then with the same knowledge and application of that knowledge to a newer system you'd be leaps and bounds ahead....and what does a new ac REALLY cost a tech? you can get a Vseries from goodman for XXX bux and a coil for XXX....how much have you overpaid the utilities by NOT doing that. Money you could have but choose not too is waste.....then again...if youre happy...so am I!
    Last edited by Stamas; 08-06-2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Removed pricing

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    12
    Are you in sales Gross? Yes, I am happy. My priorities in an A/C is reliability, comfort, and cost in that order and reliability is a big first. It just hit 96F and my old A/C is humming away keeping my house at 77F & 44% RH .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by GKW View Post
    Are you in sales Gross? Yes, I am happy. My priorities in an A/C is reliability, comfort, and cost in that order and reliability is a big first. It just hit 96F and my old A/C is humming away keeping my house at 77F & 44% RH .
    we're all in sales of some sort.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by GKW View Post
    Are you in sales Gross? Yes, I am happy. My priorities in an A/C is reliability, comfort, and cost in that order and reliability is a big first. It just hit 96F and my old A/C is humming away keeping my house at 77F & 44% RH .
    hey gkw, if your system is running good, and your happy, keep on trucking!me personally the old units, were built to last longer!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Posts
    12
    Hey MM#7, thanks, I am in complete agreement.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    568

    Hmm

    Quote Originally Posted by GKW View Post
    Hey MM#7, thanks, I am in complete agreement.
    my motto is if it aint broke don't fix it. i love seeing those older units around, kinda like older 1950's cars, because the new stuff with all the do-dads, there is no way they'll last as long, and when the new, hi tech units break down, out of warranty, you will pay big$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    years ago a auto mech, said the volvos will get you 3-400,000 miles, but you have to ask yourself, how much will it cost to get you there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event