Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane XL16i Air Conditioner

When my house was built, I had a Trane XV90 furnace installed, along with a XL16i air conditioner. The Air Conditioner is a model# 4TTX6060B.. My question is this. Is this a 2 stage unit..?? Does it have any ability to modulate and what does make it modulate? (I know the blower on the furnace does modulate)
    Bobbnj

that unit is ''2 step'' not 2 stage. 2 stage would be the 19i that has 2 compressors.

the outdoor fan modulates, and the indoor blower modulate, the compressor runs at 1/2 capacity step 1 and then full capacity step 2. The compressor it self does not vary in speed. Your thermostat controls what capacity is required from deviation of setpoint and humidity control, if you have that option.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Capacity stepping

Okay, I understand that difference... Now, what determines how and when it runs at the different capacity steps.. Is it a control function or is it a built in timer or something else..??? How would I know which mode it is in..??
    Bob

it's a thermostat function.

easy way to tell.

low indoor airflow, low step.
    high indoor airflow, high step
    you will notice a great differance in volume of air comming out of registers, and being thrown from the out side unit.

most systems like this run low 85% of the day and will go to high during peak times or when the stat is set 3 or more degrees below setpoint.

some stats have cool 1 or cool 2 low/high

what t-stat do you have
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Twilly says Trane calls it staged not stepped.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Twilly says they don't make the 19i anymore.

yes the 16i is a two stage unit and if installed and setup correctly there will be a20 percent difference in air flow between 1st and 2nd stage

Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly says Trane calls it staged not stepped.
    when you have 1 compressor and it loads to different capacities, is that not step loading?

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    yes the 16i is a two stage unit and if installed and setup correctly there will be a20 percent difference in air flow between 1st and 2nd stage
    but a 33% difference in refrigerant volume....i wonder if the same people that rate AFUE rate SEER...ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    when you have 1 compressor and it loads to different capacities, is that not step loading?

Twilly says get in touch with Trane and tell them to change the literature and website, cause apparently they didn't get the word from you.

Twilly says this is a good read on how one compressors operates in2 stage, via a modulation ring....http://www.sabatinoday.com/rheem/dow...5R4%20_Std.pdf

it's a thermostat function.

I appreciate your patience..! Read this slowly and see if it make sense, then also pls advise on the question.
    The thermostat is a LUXPRO PSPA722 2 stage unit.. But only has single stage wiring to it.. The furnace has an EWC Model NCM 300 zone controller on it, (2 stage gas furnace and 1 stage cooling controller), requiring a single stage thermostat. Now, in the cooling mode, when it initially calls for cooling the blower runs and the cooling indicator on the t-stat is flashing indicating in the cooling mode, but the condensor does not turn on at all.. (There is no electrical connection to that terminal on the stat). Later on, when T-stat terminal for stage 2 is energized the compressor kicks on, as that is where the wire goes. The blower also kicks up in speed. When t-stat drops off of stage 2 back to stage 1, the compressor shuts down, but the cooling indicator still flashes and the blower continues to run at reduced speed until either it calls for more cooling or the temp drops. Really strange..!

But through this, I see that the compresor is only turned on or off by the t-stat, so how does the compressor step up and down.. Does it do it on its own ???

If a true single stage t-stat were installed in place of this, I'm sure the furnace would still modulate the blower from the EWC zone controller board and also turn on/off the a/c unit, difference being that the blower would not be running trying to cool without the compressor running.. (This is what EWC said should be used for the t-stat in their literature)

So, the question still is what make the XL16i modulate, if not the stat?
    Bob

modulation ring

Twilly says this is a good read on how one compressors operates in2 stage, via a modulation ring....http://www.sabatinoday.com/rheem/dow...5R4%20_Std.pdf

This shows the modulation but what controls the modulation..? Does it do it by itself..? I don't think so, but don't know how it modulates up and down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast