Thread: Infinity MVB 96, Comfort 10 A/C, Infinity Control

Post Likes

Hmm

Hi HVAC Guru's,
    I've been reading now for a few weeks and still wondering if being more informed is better than being just another mis-informed H.O. Seems the more I read the more open issues I run into.
    Here's my scoop, think I'm pretty much decided on A Carrier MVB 96 Infinity Furnace, Comfort 10 A/C, keep existing Honeywell Elect air filter, keep existing Lennox WB2-17 Humidifier. I live in the Metro Detroit area.
    The contractor I am dealing with says single stage Thermostat is fine. After reading here, It sounds like I would be better with the Infinity Control making the decision to go to 2nd stage not the timer on the furnace.

Questions:

Is the infinity Control function (de-humidify, super de-humidify) functional having only the comfort 10 a/c instead of the Infinity a/c? If not, is there any other Carrier A/C besides going all the way with the Infinity 18 that will utilize the de-humidify option?

Does the cost of the unit justify any more than a 10 seer a/c living in Michigan?

Is my Lennox WB2-17 compatible to humidify with the furnace and Infinity Thermostat? Just a manual adjustment on the humidifier right now, no humidistat.

Is there a less costly thermidistat that will control my furnace, humidity (if possible with this blend of equiptment), without the options I may not use on the Infinity control?

Should I go with a full house surge protector? I just got my service panel updated and had a transfer switch added for a generator. Will I have any problems running the DC motor with the Generator (Generac 7500 watt) with/without a surge protector?

Sorry if my questions seem a little newbish, I'm just informed enough to understand some of this, but confused enough to go back to getting just a 80%, single stage furnace, 10 seer a/c, and my existing Honeywell Thermostat.

Thanks for any replies!

Post Likes
    A question from another HO while you're waiting for answers from the professionals: any reason you specify the MVB Infinity furnace? I've been told there's no discernible difference (for the HO) w/the MVP - which is what I just had installled. Just curious...

Post Likes
    Krxman,
    Not sure if there is any difference, I believe the MVB relaces the MVP. Having a new model number I would think there is a difference somewhere????
    I'm following your similiar post right now hoping for some info on what to do!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by switch7
    Not sure if there is any difference, I believe the MVB relaces the MVP. Having a new model number I would think there is a difference somewhere????
    That was my thinking as well. Unfortunately, I had 3 local companies give me a bid and none of them were yet installing (or were even very familiar with) the new model. But I would have got it if I could have.

Post Likes
    Go with the MVB Carrier is changing to Nitride Ignitors with the B in the Model number. MVP is Carbide Ignitor. Go with the Infinity Control with a 13 Seer 38TXA??? Best system on the market.

Post Likes
    dugfish is right, one difference is the ignitor upgrade, another difference b/t the mvp and the mvb is the door doesnt have any louvers in it and it is insulated, making the unit even quieter.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by toddb83
    another difference b/t the mvp and the mvb is the door doesnt have any louvers in it and it is insulated, making the unit even quieter.
    Gad Blastit! I knew I should have pushed for the MVB!

ARGH!

Post Likes
    You don't 'push' for it. You don't get the MVB from the distributor until the MVP inventory has been used. It's called a rolling change. Your MVP will work just fine.

Post Likes
    Lot's of less expensive units would work "just fine." I paid the big bucks for QUIET. If the MVB is quieter, as Toddb83 indicates, then that's the one I should have got. Since it's been out since July, I'm guessing if I told my installer I was gonna go w/a company that could provide an MVB, he would have found one for me. Or I could have called around till I found somebody who had one.

Oh well. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Post Likes
    Started production in October. So, it just started hitting warehouses in the past couple of weeks. We just started putting them out the door last week to dealers. So, the MVP is the one that you should have received because that was the available to the dealers in your market.

Post Likes
    Do you guys know about my original questions? If the 38TXA (performance 13) doesn't help me any over the 38TKB (comfort 10)with humidity using the Infinity Control, I'd would be better off with a 10 seer here in Michigan wouldn't I?

Post Likes
    Yoy can't use the Infinity control on anything but an
    Infinity furnace.

Post Likes
    Oops.Reread your post. Kept seeing Lennox and thought you were wanting to put the control on a Lennox furnace.
    Humidity is controlled by the variable speed blower slowingdown to reduce humidity.

Post Likes
    I'm planning on getting the MVB96 Furnace (see original post) with the Comfort 10 (38TKB) A/C. The main question (see original post for other questions) is will the Comfort 10 utilize the de-humidification functions offered with the Infinity Control? Or do I need an Infinity A/C with Puron, 2 speed A/C?

Post Likes
    You will get full dehumidify control w/ the quoted system. The two-stage a/c simply provides an additional stage of capacity that more closely matches mild day loads. Enjoy your new comfort system.

Post Likes
    Thanks jrbenny!!
    Can you address any of my other questions in my first post? I see that you are a Carrier Tech Support, you are just the person I need.

Thanks Again!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by switch7
    Hi HVAC Guru's,

Questions:

Is the infinity Control function (de-humidify, super de-humidify) functional having only the comfort 10 a/c instead of the Infinity a/c? If not, is there any other Carrier A/C besides going all the way with the Infinity 18 that will utilize the de-humidify option?

Does the cost of the unit justify any more than a 10 seer a/c living in Michigan?

Is my Lennox WB2-17 compatible to humidify with the furnace and Infinity Thermostat? Just a manual adjustment on the humidifier right now, no humidistat.

Is there a less costly thermidistat that will control my furnace, humidity (if possible with this blend of equiptment), without the options I may not use on the Infinity control?

Should I go with a full house surge protector? I just got my service panel updated and had a transfer switch added for a generator. Will I have any problems running the DC motor with the Generator (Generac 7500 watt) with/without a surge protector?

Sorry if my questions seem a little newbish, I'm just informed enough to understand some of this, but confused enough to go back to getting just a 80%, single stage furnace, 10 seer a/c, and my existing Honeywell Thermostat.

Thanks for any replies!

1. Yes, will de-hum by lower the speed of the blower and can overcool the area by 3 degrees. (The overcooling can be turned of on the Infinity control, so it only lowers the speed)
    2. Not sure on this one
    3. Most likley yes, depends on what type. If it is a bypass, it can be connected to the HUM and C terminals on the board. If it is a power type, you must use a 24 Volt Normolly Open Isolation Relay between the HUM and the board. If you dont, you can fry the furnace board/
    4. Carrier Thermidistat will also work without as many features.
    5. Sounds like a good idea to me

-York_Hvac

Post Likes
    Thanks York_Hvac,
    I may look into the humidistat some more, don't need the zoning adjustments on the Infinity.

Just a couple more things I thought of.

What exactly does an OAT sensor do with this setup and should I have one installed?

Using my current Honeywell elect air filter, will the clean filter option work on the Infinity control?

Any more info and/or ideas on these questions is welcome!! This forum has been a great help already, I appreciate any and all input.

Post Likes
    All of your original accessories will work with the Infinity control.

Yes, you will need to have the OAT installed. It comes with the Infinity control. It allows the control to adjust humidity setpoint in the winter. As the temperature drops, the humidity setpoint is lowered to prevent window condensation.

There are less costly control options, but for the small difference in price, you should stick with the Infinity UI. You won't be getting the one with zoning features. So, it will be a bit less in cost.

You should be happy with your 10 SEER selection. Unless you've got outrageous electric rates, it's hard to justify higher efficiencies in your market.

I've not seen much success with generators and modern gas furnaces. The electronic controls don't like the dirty voltage that is produced the lower end generators. I have not personally seen the Generac or an equivalent in use. So, they might perform better.

[Edited by jrbenny on 11-13-2005 at 07:55 AM]

Post Likes
    Thanks jrbenny!
    Not only answers some of my questions, but the answers are the ones I wanted to hear.
    I am a little concerned about running the infinity with the generator. It is not a "top of the line" Honda. Is there any chance of frying anything with the furnace? Or anything I can do to protect the furnace? (besides not using it).

Thanks Again, keep the great advice comming!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in