Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Yes that is true.... But if it is 0.5 ppm or below that is safe levels according to the EPA which is 0.8 ppm,.. the product that im talking about also has settings.. Think about it after a Lightning storm it is much higher, but Nature takes care of that... This product can be turned ( ON ) and ( OFF ) and it will clean out the Duct System, It will take care of his problem ... I specialize in IAQ...

Quote Originally Posted by bob Juliano View Post
    Yes that is true.... But if it is 0.5 ppm or below that is safe levels according to the EPA which is 0.8 ppm,.. the product that im talking about also has settings.. Think about it after a Lightning storm it is much higher, but Nature takes care of that... This product can be turned ( ON ) and ( OFF ) and it will clean out the Duct System, It will take care of his problem ... I specialize in IAQ...
    Not questioning what you have suggested and thanks for the additional information.

I do know there are manufacturers which produce portable equipment that are placed in a closed room to bombard it with ozone to kill off mildew, mold etc. That is part of where my concerns are from. From what you have said I understand there will be will no high amounts of ozone (above the EPA limits you have mentioned) pushed out into the living space.

Thank you Monakre4 Mostly after Fires and water damage... but you are right to much 03 is dangerous.. you want clean out the system... not dry clean your Lungs...

Quote Originally Posted by KOTM View Post
    I had DSS. I got coated coils (new from Trane, no charge, under ten-year warranty). Now, no DSS. But, something worse. I'll call it CCS (coated coil syndrome). There is now a musty, dusty, pungent, sickening smell accompanied by a metallic taste and irritation to the lungs. The "smell" part is not near as bad as DSS (I could live with the "smell" part of CCS); but the "effects" part is much worse. If I stay in the house for hours, my eyes sting (a little), I get a headache (slight), I get dizzy (a little), I can taste the metallic taste (slightly), and my lungs get irritated (a little). If I stay in the house all day, the smell and the effects are cumulative and I feel like the effects are making me sick.

This effect was very strong in the beginning (a few weeks); such that I HAD TO open all the windows AND leave the house. Then, it seemed to lessen gradually over the next couple of months and I thought it would go away. It has now been about nine months and the CCS is not nearly as strong and I cope with it routinely now by opening the windows at night for about an hour (with all systems completely off) before going to bed and leaving them off all night.

It seems to me that the coated coils are off-gassing something in the coating; and I am hoping that it eventually dissipates entirely . . . before it kills me through the cumulative effect on my lungs.

The product was Bronz-Glow coating of new Trane coils. It was slightly tacky the day the technician installed them (two systems) and the smell was evident even before they were installed (emanating from the coils). They were coated at ASI Coatings in Semmes, Alabama. They and the parent company are pretty closed-mouth about what it might be . . . claiming that I am the only one who has ever complained and that their product is perfectly safe and effective.

I did discover one large A/C company (Central City Air) in Houston, Texas that recognized the problem and said that in their experience it would take about two years for the off-gassing to dissipate and that they had learned to solve the problem by replacing the offending coated coils with new uncoated coils that were NOT A-coils, but WERE slab coils and that the slab coils did not need to be coated because they would not develop DSS in the first place like the A-coils would.

Any further information or help understanding and/or solving this problem appreciated.
    I know it's been awhile since you posted, but have you resolved your CCS? We have a new system but our coils are not coated but have the exact same problem you are describing! We had DSS and replaced our system so I know the difference in smells. I get a tight tingling in my chest and it smells like wet dust/metal and I get a metallic taste in my mouth. The problem actually got worse when my husband sprayed coil cleaner on the coils. I agree with you, I'd almost rather have DSS back than this smell and feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by 2HotinTexas View Post
    I know it's been awhile since you posted, but have you resolved your CCS? We have a new system but our coils are not coated but have the exact same problem you are describing! We had DSS and replaced our system so I know the difference in smells. I get a tight tingling in my chest and it smells like wet dust/metal and I get a metallic taste in my mouth. The problem actually got worse when my husband sprayed coil cleaner on the coils. I agree with you, I'd almost rather have DSS back than this smell and feeling.
    I have had an issue with a couple customers and the off gassing of epoxy coated coils (replaced because DSS).

What we have done is submerged each coil in dawn dish washing detergent. Let them soak for several hours, rinse, dry and reinstall. This seemed to help the smell from the epoxy coating.

UV lights are not a waste, I have seen them benifit customers equipment. If you are getting that sock odor, it sounds like there may be to much moisture in the air handler. You best bet would be to have your fan speed and refrigerant charge adjusted to factory specs and have your air volume measured to ensure proper CFM. Once that is good have your ducts sanitied. They have oxine based cleaners that do not have fragrances.

I find the prospect of problems from coated coils very alarming. When we had a Rheem installed a few years ago we didn't have any problem. Now we need to replace our other unit, and are considering a Trane. Does Trane have uncoated aluminum coils?

Here are some fun facts:

It is generally accepted that Dirty Sock Syndrome is caused by a bacteria formed on the evaporator coil and then blown into the air.

Many manufacturers have replaced copper/aluminum coils with all aluminum coils.

Copper in HVAC systems limited bacteria growth to levels 99.99% lower than the levels on aluminum. So says a report "Characterization and Control of the Microbial Community Affiliated with Copper or Aluminum Heat Exchangers of HVAC Systems" by M.G. Schmidt, et. al., published on line at Springerlink.com in 2012. The report gives the results of a study done at the University of South Carolina. http://www.antimicrobialcopper.com/m...hmidt-2012.pdf

While manufacturers may save a few dollars by using aluminum instead of copper, it may not be the best for your health.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitdog View Post
    While manufacturers may save a few dollars by using aluminum instead of copper, it may not be the best for your health.
    I thought aluminum coils were better because they don't corrode, causing leaks, which cause standing water and mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
    I thought aluminum coils were better because they don't corrode, causing leaks, which cause standing water and mold.
    I would love to have my old copper/aluminum coil back; it lasted 15 years and didn't smell. My new all aluminum coil started smelling in the first year. I am in the process of trying to get a new coated coil under warranty. Supposedly coating the coil is the only full proof way to fix Dirty Sock Syndrome. Just my experience, I hear Dirty Sock Syndrome is relatively rare, so I guess I was just one of the unlucky ones. I think they went to all aluminum to save money. If 2% of them develop dirty sock syndrome, they just replace the coil with a new coated coil; that's cheaper than coating all of them from the beginning or using copper.

My Trane heat pump system was installed in a new build earlier this year.
    After a recent week of nice weather where we didn't have humidity & the AC ran zero times, this week was different & back came the AC automatically.

@ first I thought it was just me but the stale musty smell became stronger as though the AC didn't run at all in our master bedroom.
    With my house being certified as being 50% tighter than the avg build, I am afraid this is going to hang around awhile.
    I have another posts out there currently that provides some equipment background. Since naturally, I thought it was a setting or system issue.

Speaking to the installer today. Stay tuned.

Thanks all in advance for providing this insightful thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben44 View Post
    My Trane heat pump system was installed in a new build earlier this year.
    After a recent week of nice weather where we didn't have humidity & the AC ran zero times, this week was different & back came the AC automatically.

@ first I thought it was just me but the stale musty smell became stronger as though the AC didn't run at all in our master bedroom.
    With my house being certified as being 50% tighter than the avg build, I am afraid this is going to hang around awhile.
    I have another posts out there currently that provides some equipment background. Since naturally, I thought it was a setting or system issue.

Speaking to the installer today. Stay tuned.

Thanks all in advance for providing this insightful thread.
    Over the years, I have worked on several homes with bacteria in them that when mixed with water and some organic material in the air, and allowed to stagnate, generate forms of dirty sock odors. The water will get slimy have the odor. Once the space gets contaminated, enough bacteria spores are in the air and will contaminate water on coiling coils or evaporating pads in humidifiers. It takes a couple days for the water to develop the odor and slimy feel.
    An part of the a/c or humidifier that remains wet is for days is capable of having this problem once contaminated.
    I have fixed this problem by avoiding stagnate water and drying all surfaces for several hours every day. Cooling coil self clean themselves by condensate flowing off the coil and down the drain. Drain pans can not have wet spots that do not dry completely everyday. Any wet spots under legs/feet in the drain pan must be eliminated.
    Fan "on" for several hours without wetting the coil/pan will dry most equipment enough to avoid bacterial growth. Of course the space must be <50%RH to providing a drying source for the air handling equipment. In addition, I suggest that all occupied space needs a fresh air change every 4-5 hours to purge indoor pollutants and renew oxygen. At a minimum, fresh air ventilation is required when occupied. In green grass climates, supplemental dehumidification is required to maintain <50%RH during low/no cooling loads and +55^F outdoor dew points.
    These are just a few things I have noticed. Most people are not sensitive to these issues. A few sensitized occupants become very ill when exposed to this problem.
    Operating the fan in the "on" mode for several hours when the a/c is not needed may the first thing to try. Inspecting the pan/coil area of the a/c for wet spots is next. Maintain <50%RH and fresh air ventilation is next.

Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

commercial building odor problem

The comments on this site have really been helpful and interesting.
    I have a commercial building with a built up system and a big trane compressor and a wall of coils etc.

my hvac guys have cleaned the coils several times with blue eagle clean solution but the odor keeps returning.

we are going to give it a shot with bleach next. not sure how much to cut the bleach with water, will ask my contractor but i am interested if anyone here has tried this and has had any luck with bleach. [we will do it at night so the bleach odor doesn't circulate through the building with tenants inside.

thanks

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast