Failed Compressor-makes mechanical noises

Failed Compressor-makes mechanical noises when starting and not pressurizing the system as is. I have a provider who is willing to install a compressor for what I think is a good deal as compared to replacing the entire system. (Goodman 5 Ton - put into the house when new in 1994 - said it was 10 SEER when new????)

Would replacing just the compressor be a good idea?

My concern is there is "stuff" that the failed compressor put into the system and has contaminated the lines/rest of the system and will cause problems going forward if I replace the compressor.

Is there anything that can be done to "clean the system" from the contamination from the failed compressor?

What say you?

Thank you for your feedback!

putting a new compressor in a 17 yr old system is a big waste of money IMO.

put the money towards a new system with higher efficiency.

In answer to your question yes the system can generally be flushed, cleaned and pressure checked as long as there are not larger particles, parts lodged somewhere within the system. It can also have filters installed to help filter the system. However with that said I also think that you may be throwing good money at a persistant problem as the system is reaching its useful life span. It looks like one major component has already failed and I would guess with the age of the system another is probably not to far behind. You should strongly consider replacing the system. But you can roll the dice and replace the compressor and hope to get a few more years out of it. You should have a competent tech look the system over very closely and give you an educated opinion of your best course of action. In the final analysis its your decision.

I'd look at a new system.

You will get better efficiency, better comfort and a WARRANTY on all parts.

Some important things to remember:

Cheaper isn't always better.

A system MUST be properly sized and properly matched to function properly. This means that a load calculation should be done on the home AND both the indoor and outdoor units should be replaced at the same time.

Obviously, we don't know your financial situation, but you would be better served in the long run with newer equipment.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyb View Post
    Failed Compressor-makes mechanical noises when starting and not pressurizing the system as is. I have a provider who is willing to install a compressor for what I think is a good deal as compared to replacing the entire system. (Goodman 5 Ton - put into the house when new in 1994 - said it was 10 SEER when new????)

Would replacing just the compressor be a good idea?

My concern is there is "stuff" that the failed compressor put into the system and has contaminated the lines/rest of the system and will cause problems going forward if I replace the compressor.

Is there anything that can be done to "clean the system" from the contamination from the failed compressor?

What say you?

Thank you for your feedback!
    the unit is 17 years old. the average life expectancy of a compressor is 11-13 yrs. if you have the money a new system would be a wise investment!

Like the others have said, it's not a good idea to fix a unit that old:

1. there might be another problem that caused the current compressor to fail-you won't know until the new compressor is in.
    2. It is not cheap to change a compressor the RIGHT way with replacment of start components, drier, vac, and recharge
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.