Question

I am buying a house in Washington area and going to have to replace an oil furnace in the crawl space under the house. The house was built in the 40s, square footage is about 1500(500 is add-on on the back), 1 story. The current furnace is leaking CO. We plan on living here less than 5 years. My questions are:
    1. Can I do work on the house and use the furnace, but keep the windows open, before we move in (refinishing floors/painting)?
    2. We have been told my two estimates that we need to switch to gas from oil and I think the reasons were because we wouldnt be able to remove the current furnace completely and couldn't fit a new one in. I may be mistaken. The one company (very big name in the area) said that he couldnt put a new furnace back down there and would put it in a closet in the house and vent through the roof and could put an 80% in there. The other one said that he could put a 90% in there (if we first enlargened the crawlspace opening) b/c he was sure he could do that, but only half sure about an 80% installation being successful down there, not sure the reasons. Can anyone explain why that would be?
    3. Finally, the first guy said his company was too busy for something like that, and the 2nd guy gave 3 bids (all Trane): 90% XR Standard ; 90% XL 2-stage ; and 90% XV 2-stage Variable-speed. What type of furnace should we select, he said the 1st is a dinosaur in his industry and its really loud? I'll still get 2 more bids, but wanted to know more info before I do.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

[Edited by smuduffy on 11-12-2005 at 12:54 PM]

He may be worried about condensation in the heat exchanger.

A 90+ would be the way to go with gas.

2 stage with variable speed blower will be the most comfortable.

Whats your comfort worth to you.

PS: no prices allowed here, edit them out.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thank you for your response. I edited the post, didnt realize you couldnt put price differences, I was just thinking it was the overall price you couldn't put.

So, I'm still curious about single vs 2-stage. For a small house, and if we install a programmable thermostat, is the noise/operation that bad. It still keeps the place warm right? Since we aren't going to be in it long haul, we are probably ok suffereing through a little bit right now, as long as it keeps us warm.

Would there be any reason to have to leave parts of the oil furnace still down there in the crawl space? He said he may have to put it over to the side. And, this is him knowing that we are going to have to enlargen the crawl space anyways.

[Edited by smuduffy on 11-12-2005 at 01:57 PM]

If you enlarge the access, no reason to have to leave the oil furnace in there.

Might take some extra help to pull it out.
    Since I can't see it, I could be wrong.

A single stage furnace will heat your house fine.

A 2 stage with a standard blower will keep you more comfortable.

A 2 stage VS does even better.

Its your buget, your choice.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ok, well thanks for your help.

Economics

Use a Heat Pump with LOW electric rates.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities