Talking

You guys were a great source of information in choosing my system! I would like opinions on the following setup & initial run.

My new 3-day-old Trane system is XL14i HP, XV80 2-stage furnace and VisionPro 8321 stat. Contractor installed a Trane Heat Pump Kit (TAYPLUS130A) and set the stat as 2 heat/1 cool (170 = 7) with electric backup (200 = 0). The outdoor sensor is set to display (210 not displayed & 340 = 1). I am in Atlanta GA.

I have 3 questions:
    Do you think this configuration is better than/as good as 3 heat/2 cool with no HP kit? Company owner (in business for over 30 years) says this is the most economical setup and his house has the HP kit.

Thursday was our first night night in the 30's. Recovering from a 4 degree set back (68 to 64) on Wake schedule, the system ran what I think is a short cycle. The HP ran 4-5 minutes, then AUX ran for 2 minutes and this cycle repeated until the temp was within 1 degree of the set point - then no more AUX until shutoff. Is this a short cycle? Is it caused by the stat set for 2/1 with electric backup?

The contractor has been given this same information. I will not change anything myself, but I like to have good information.

[Edited by i g norant on 11-12-2005 at 12:04 PM]

I honestly dont know if that stat has any "intelegent recovery" feature or not, it doesnt sound like it does. If it doesnt you might be just as well to lose the setback or at least reduce the amount you set back. When it gets cold, the heats pump's ability to overcome such change diminishes. They do a good job of maintining temp but as I said, when it gets cold, they will lack the capcity to overcome the setback.

try this

Move your set back to about 2 degrees , HP running 4-5 minutes and off then furnace cutting on... sounds like the Hp doesn't have time to even start to recover. if your goning to use a higher set back i'd want the HP locked out til it's back close to the set point.

The 8321 does have Adaptive Recovery.

With your setup though, its trying to cycle electric heaters, when you have a FF kit installed.

Not much eff when recoving that way.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Lose the fossil fuel kit, run an outdoor temp. sensor from the tstat and lock out the hpump below your setpoint. Also 4 degree setback is rather agressive for a heat pump. Anything you save overnight you lose on recovery. Really don't understand why your installer would set the system up this way.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Warning! HO thinking/wondering again

Thanks guys. I changed the setback to 2 degrees last night, but the low temp was only in the high 40's.
    About the setup - the contractor said third stage heat would have to fire from the 10 minute furnace timer.

Can VP 8321 control furnace as AUX heat and lock out HP?
    Where on the Internet could I get an installation manual for the Trane TAYPLUS130A Heat Pump Kit?
    Just thinking out loud here (and not knowing how the HP kit is built or wired) - I wonder if he could
    • set stat to 3 heat/2 cool (and don't wire Y2 or jump Y2 to Y1 if Y1 goes low when Y2 goes high).
    • if stat can not lock out HP on AUX, wire stat AUX to external kit to lock out HP and fire stage 1.
    • wire stat Emergency Heat to furnace stage 2.

How soon would the house burn down with this setup?

The 8321 can do what you want by its self, it just needs an outdoor sensor.

Don't need that hp kit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?