Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 27
  1. #1
    Hi Everyone,

    I am glad I came to this forum, it seems excellent.

    I live in massachuetts and need to install a new furnace, the old one is rusty and just bad. I have Keyspan energy as a gas supply company and they offer free estimates. So I called them and they came out. I live in a townhouse that is approx 2200 sq. ft. The furnace is in the basement. Keyspan suggest I install a XV80(TUD080R9V3K), which is the 2 stage blower. They also suggest I install a humidifer Aprilaire model #600. The price they quoted is $**** total installed(permits and all). They also said I can install a XR80 which would be $*** less.

    Is this a fair price and is Trane the best to use? Also should I go with the XR80 or the XV80? Any other suggestions? Please advice

    Thank you

    Edited: Sorry about the price's>

    [Edited by easternman on 11-12-2005 at 09:54 AM]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,597
    get a couple more estimates, no one can tell you what is a fair price.

    how did they determine the size of the furnace?

    oh, no pricing questions allowed due to the many variables involved in a proper system set up.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,886
    Mods must be sleeping.
    Not what it use to be

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,597
    Originally posted by itsamine
    Mods must be sleeping.
    i think mod01 and mod02 are sleeping together, but hey, that's their business.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Houston,Tx.
    Posts
    16,002
    Originally posted by billva
    i think mod01 and mod02 are sleeping together, but hey, that's their business.
    Gosh! Big feller now that's not nice, I don't think they live in California now do they?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

    "Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

  6. #6
    Sorry for they price thing...

    Is the units that they mentioned good units? Where can I find what these prices list for so That I can see if my estimate seems fair?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,597
    you need more estimates. a "fair price" is not determined by the "list" price of the equipment.

    good luck.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Upstate, SC
    Posts
    2,919
    Do you go into McDonald's and find out what the meat, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce and bread costs before deciding if the Big Mac is priced fairly or not? Just get two more quotes and then sit down and compare each against the other. At that point, you may need to call one or more of the contractors to ask questions becasue you eventually want everyone quoting at least comparable equipment, but not necessarily the same brand. At that point, you shoud have enough info and know enough about the contractors to decide if the price is fair, but if you shop price alone you will more than likely be disappointed down the road.


    Bobby

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,597
    Originally posted by BobbyBJr
    Do you go into McDonald's and find out what the meat, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce and bread costs before deciding if the Big Mac is priced fairly or not? Just get two more quotes and then sit down and compare each against the other. At that point, you may need to call one or more of the contractors to ask questions becasue you eventually want everyone quoting at least comparable equipment, but not necessarily the same brand. At that point, you shoud have enough info and know enough about the contractors to decide if the price is fair, but if you shop price alone you will more than likely be disappointed down the road.


    Bobby
    you forgot the special sauce, onions and cheese.

    [Edited by billva on 11-12-2005 at 11:14 AM]

  10. #10
    Originally posted by itsamine
    Mods must be sleeping.
    Internet provider had problems!

  11. #11
    Mod01 Guest
    Who nees mods when our members do such a great job of reminding owners of the site rules?

    It only took 11 minutes for it to get noticed, and 24 to get corrected.

    Thanks for the help! Mod01.

  12. #12
    Originally posted by Mod01
    when our members do such a great job of reminding owners of the site rules?
    Yes, they are doing a superb job!

  13. #13
    I dont understand whe whole price thing, I am a auto mechanic and customers always want to know the price of things. They want to know the price of the part and the price of the labor, why is that so hard to understand. I dont understand the whole McDonald's thing, Like I said I run my own business and people always ask price of part and price of labor. Why can someone tell me where to find the price of these units. I feel like i am being made fun of here.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event