Thread: Paper sucked into air intake - Should I be concerned?

Post Likes

Paper sucked into air intake - Should I be concerned?

Hey all,

Today while replacing the air filter in my home's HVAC, I stupidly left the system on "auto." It kicked on and sucked in a folded piece of glossy paper that was the on floor before I could do anything. There's no way for me to reach into the intake due to the (cramped) design of the area. The system is still running and I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary, and so far as I can tell the paper hasn't made its way to any of the vents in my house.

Is this something I should worry about, or just let it be. That said if it's something I need worry about I guess I need to call someone, and if so--what do I tell them?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Depends on how big the paper was if it is a full sheet of paper you could have a problem.. It will not reach the vent.
    HOPE IS WHAT WE CRAVE

Post Likes
    It was a folded piece of glossy paper, maybe 4x6 inches folded.

Post Likes
    How long has it been since the coils have been cleaned...
    HOPE IS WHAT WE CRAVE

Post Likes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ventintaker View Post
    Hey all,

Today while replacing the air filter in my home's HVAC, I stupidly left the system on "auto." It kicked on and sucked in a folded piece of glossy paper that was the on floor before I could do anything. There's no way for me to reach into the intake due to the (cramped) design of the area. The system is still running and I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary, and so far as I can tell the paper hasn't made its way to any of the vents in my house.

Is this something I should worry about, or just let it be. That said if it's something I need worry about I guess I need to call someone, and if so--what do I tell them?

Thanks!
    try checking you filter and see if it got sucked into that area!

Post Likes
    Coils were cleaned 1 year ago.

Post Likes
    I would try to see if I could get it out but I would not worry about it too much....
    HOPE IS WHAT WE CRAVE

Post Likes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ventintaker View Post
    Coils were cleaned 1 year ago.
    if this paper got sucked into the return vent it may end up by the filter in the return by your air handler, unless i read your post wrong!

Post Likes
    Guess if you smell burning paper this winter when you turn on the furnace, you'll know why!

Post Likes
    If you have a air handler or a furnace the paper could be wrapped on the blower wheel or be blown to bottom of the a coil. if it is on the wheel it may cause balance problems and or reduce air flow. It will not help air flow on a coil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in