I have had two different HVAC contractors come to my house and quote me on installing a 9,000 btuh, cooling only Mitsubishi mini-split.

This will be installed in a basement home theater. The inside unit will be installed at ceiling level putting it right at grade.

One contractor wants to drill a hole through my slab for the drain and the other contractor wants to put in a condensate pump. I have a deep sink in the basement about 20 feet from this room and a pump there to drain this sink. I am not whether the condensate pump on the mini-split will pump into the deep sinks or directly outside the house. I failed to ask the contractor before he left. I do live in a cold climate, outside of Rochester, NY.

My house has excellent drainage. In fact, I have a sub pump pit that has never had a pump in it and never even a drop of water. My high efficiency Lennox Pulse furnace has its drain going through the slab.

What are the pluses and minuses about these two drain methods? Can a mini-split be drained directly outside? Are there other drain methods?
    Thanks

[Edited by hendersond on 11-12-2005 at 09:21 AM]

if draining it outside is feasible, by all means do it. one less part to break down.

No condinsate during the winter so why worry about it.

go outside if high enough or go into slab, pump as last resort. if sump pump pit has collector pipe around basement you could drill into that.