Thread: Long cycling?

I was wondering if there is such a thing as long-cycling.

My Robertshaw t-stats seem to keep the furnace on for an extended period, but only during EER (recovery from setback).

My old Honeywell used to give the exact cycles per hour it was set for (roughly 6 min. on, 6 min. off, 5 cph), and the Robertshaws are set for oil heat (I have oil forced hot air), but for some reason they seem to keep the furnace on until the air reaches desired tstat temp, without a cycle in between. Since its different than the Honeywell, I wasnt sure if its good, bad, or doesnt matter.

Thanks in advance!
    -Chris

What kind of work do you expect to get durring the off cycle? The ideal scenerio IS for longer run times.

Dude, you got too much time on your hands if you feel like you need to worry about stuff like this. Get a hobby.
    ...SHEEESH!!!

Long cycles are better than short cycles. When a unit runs for longer periods, it is more energy effcient.

I've heard of long cycling but I like the short ones better I don't get as tired and it leaves time for my other hobbies such as midget throwing.

Originally posted by bodhisatva
    Dude, you got too much time on your hands if you feel like you need to worry about stuff like this. Get a hobby.
    I have plenty of hobbies.

At 2.50/gallon of oil, I like to make sure everything is running as correctly as possible.

The more money I can save on heating costs, the more I can spend on my hobbies!

Set-Back ?

I believe that
    set-back should be limited to ~7'F.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Originally posted by chrisexv6
    [
    At 2.50/gallon of oil, I like to make sure everything is running as correctly as possible.

It takes "X" btuhs to heat the space, Too many and you over heat it, too few and you dont heat it enough. What is the difference in producing 100,000 btuhs an hour either in a long burn or many short ones? It still takes the same amount of oil and worse yet, you loose a little efficiency during the warm up for each cycle so save your money and be more comfortable by allowing the unit to run.