when should you not replace a compressor.

I have a customer who's gas/electric package unit is tripping the breaker. 50 amp 2.5 ton. Wow those units from 25 years ago are energy hogs. No manufacture date to be found, but guess at mid 80's or older. HDP (Carrier)
    The caps are good, found one wire that blew off / melted from the contractor. Fix that and it started up making a one heck of a bad noise before blowing the breaker a few seconds later. Intake air filter looked real bad, so suspect the A-coil might look the same. Anyway the customer wants to replace the compressor, vs a new unit with a 10 year warranty.

I suspect its going to be a nightmare going this route. ( repair) Should I recover the r22 and cut open the lines to see if it looks like black sludge or test for acid? I guess at what point do you know when its not repair able. Well I ready should say not worth it.

so far, I'm thinking.

New compressor
    Flush kit
    new 40 mfd cap.
    new refrigerant.
    liquid filter dryer
    contactor relay.
    A-coil cleaner.

Thanks

Offer to replace the system, suggest anyone who would replace comp may not be acting in their best interest.
    I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial ...well, you know the rest.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Make sure you have the customer sign and date a note stating that this is not your recommendation and you cannot be responsible if and when this repair gets out of hand financially.

It sounds like you have answered your own question. Looking at your list and doing a quick labour calculation it would seem you would not be doing your customer a favour but what can you do when the customer can not see it?

Thanks guy, your right I don't want to do a repair. I'm a nice guy and don't want to see people spend their hard earned money on something I would not even spend my own money on fixing.

I will let them know in the morning.

What happens when the evaporator coil starts leaking or one of the motors goes out? I usually price these jobs so high that they'll either A)replace their POS B)Find some other sucker to own THEIR POS. Cause once they pony up whatever you're going to charge them. You'll get the "the new compressor doesn't cool as well as the old one, the other one blew colder air" or "this one sure seems noisier than the old one". Or fill in the blanks as to their complaints. You'll be out there on this sucker every Friday night and Sunday morning until it gets cooler outside and then get it again when it warms up next spring. You're gonna own it.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Just give them the prices and let them choose ,the price to replace a out of warranty compressor is not going to be cheap and does not come with a very long warranty. I would also put in a suction line drier and a start kit

The 50 amp breaker is probably related to higher start-up currents of the recipricating compressor as much as the effeciency of the unit. While it's probably only 8 SEER.... I continue to notice in my last 2 systems I've owned how much better the R-22 units seem to dehumidify. That makes up for a LOT of innefficiency.

I think old innefficienct units get dismissed too quickly... jsut the same way old single pane, often better overall quality and well sealed windows, get dismissed... and throw out and repalced by inferior vinyl replacement ones.

That being said, at 25 years old, throwing in a new compressor seems silly.

Talked him this morning, gave price for repair and new. not much difference.
    I told him if it were my house, I would not waste my money on the old unit and I don't charge myself labor..

Better to get a 10 year warranty with new. He is thinking over the 10 year parts and labor for just a bit more. I think he was just in sticker shock.