Confused York Refrig. leak off/on ??????

Help!

I've got 2 York YCWS water cooled chillers that we switch over every week.
    It seems as though every time we swap chillers, after about 45 min. to an hour, our refrigerant monitor goes off at around 70ppm!
    Now for the fun part, just after this happens, the refrigerant level slowly goes back down to normal (around 1 to 5ppm) in about 20 minutes.Then the system maintains like this for a week until it switches chillers again.
    This happens no matter which chiller is swiching over to which!
    My head pressures are steady around 200psi & low sides are around 62psi.
    What could I be missing here?
    Thanks for whatever replies I get!
    Ray

West Fla. since 2002, Central Va. before that
    Your shaft seal is probably leaking. Is there much oil being collected in the plastic "catch can"?

Next time you shut it down, open the coupling access cover and give it a sniff with an electronic leak detector. Rotate the shaft by hand as you sniff. don't be suprised if the leak starts and stops at various places as you rotate the shaft...

You've certainly been given a wierd problem with this one, but I'd have to say that it's not due to leakage on the chiller unless there's something here that just can't be seen over the internet. It's definitely not a shaft seal leak.....

I would never differ with "Dr. KLOVE" as he helped me out on more than one occasion.

However, I've got a customer with a machine that was doing the same thing and leaking into the oil cup at a higher than normal rate. When we pulled the seal, we found that when the local J.C. guys replaced the seal, they must not have had the correct "seal tool kit" on their truck that day. There were chips in the seal face like they had pounded it in with a screwdriver.

Again, I'm not at all looking to lock horns with Kerry but next time you switch over, give it a sniff. If it's leaking, get ready to change the seal...

Hmm

These chillers each have 2 semi-hemi compessors that I don't believe uses any type of accessible shafts.

I appologize!
    I was thinking "YS"...
    Sorry!

My guess is one small leak on each chiller pooling up in the unit and then drawn to the refrigerant sensor on start up.

Quote Originally Posted by moshmont View Post
    Help!

I've got 2 York YCWS water cooled chillers that we switch over every week.
    It seems as though every time we swap chillers, after about 45 min. to an hour, our refrigerant monitor goes off at around 70ppm!
    Now for the fun part, just after this happens, the refrigerant level slowly goes back down to normal (around 1 to 5ppm) in about 20 minutes.Then the system maintains like this for a week until it switches chillers again.
    This happens no matter which chiller is swiching over to which!
    My head pressures are steady around 200psi & low sides are around 62psi.
    What could I be missing here?
    Thanks for whatever replies I get!
    Ray
    The next time you start it up, put your leak detector near where the pick-up tube is for the ref. monitor. Have you or anyone had to add ref. to the machines.

Check the relif valves at startup there may be a control problem with the CTW system only during start up, also 200 psi is slightly for water cooled equipment. I am assuming it is a R22 system. You did not indicate if you ware switching over only the chillers or what type of CTW pumping scheme. Are they shared or does each machine have it's own pump. Monitor the system pressures at startup when the release is occuring.

I'm running R-22 in the system w/ condensing water running at 88 degrees F inlet temperature. Each machine has it's own water pumps that also switch over including separate cooling towers.