Puron leak for Courier AC

Hi,

I have two Courier AC, one for downstairs, the other one for up stairs, both are only 3 years old, pretty new.
    Recently I notice that it takes quite long for the upstairs to cool down.
    Today I get a AC technician to come over to have a check. He found out that
    the puron pressure in outside compressor unit is low, about 65 (psi??). He told me that it should be about 140 if working properly. By visually checking, he could not find any leak place outside. He went to attic to check the coil in the furnace, it is very clean after opening the furnace box. Without any instruments, he could not find the leak, he guess that there might be leak in the coil. So he suggest that I replace the coil, since my courier equipment warranty will cover the parts for me, I only need to pay the labor. Temporarily he recharged the puron for me and it is working fine now.

I am hesitating since he could not pinpoint the problem and the leak location.

My question is
    1)Should I replace the coil without knowing whether it leaks or not? Should I stay put, since the AC is working properly after puron recharging
    2) what is the general rule to find how to find the leak location?

Any advice, comments are greatly appreciated

The short answer.
    Guys have a variety of ways in finding leaks. Sometimes they are blatantly obvious.
    They may look for certain puddling, discolorations, bubbles, sniffers. Whatever their chic is they use it because it works for them.

Some folks use dyes? I never have. I have always been scared off. I guess it messes up your tools and measuring instruments.

As long as the parts in warranty.

Ya know... It's hard to pinpoint his decision from where I'm sitting but I tend to trust and hope they are doing the right thing.

I went to a new doctor a few months back. She wanted me to have a blood test done. from there it snowballed into test after test, bill after bill. The end result is back where we started from? I think of all the money I spent out of pocket. needless to say I went back to my old doctor.
    Don't go away angry... Just go away.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by gqchen View Post
    Hi,

I have two Courier AC, one for downstairs, the other one for up stairs, both are only 3 years old, pretty new.
    Recently I notice that it takes quite long for the upstairs to cool down.
    Today I get a AC technician to come over to have a check. He found out that
    the puron pressure in outside compressor unit is low, about 65 (psi??). He told me that it should be about 140 if working properly. By visually checking, he could not find any leak place outside. He went to attic to check the coil in the furnace, it is very clean after opening the furnace box. Without any instruments, he could not find the leak, he guess that there might be leak in the coil. So he suggest that I replace the coil, since my courier equipment warranty will cover the parts for me, I only need to pay the labor. Temporarily he recharged the puron for me and it is working fine now.

I am hesitating since he could not pinpoint the problem and the leak location.

My question is
    1)Should I replace the coil without knowing whether it leaks or not? Should I stay put, since the AC is working properly after puron recharging
    2) what is the general rule to find how to find the leak location?

Any advice, comments are greatly appreciated
    so he's guessing where the leak might be? me personally, before i changed anything, i'd tell him to narrow it down, to where the leak really is. what happens if he changes the coil, and you still have a leak?

Demand a "real" leak search from a "professional" not a moron. Anyone who suggests you chunk out lotsa $$$ and warranties a coil without proof that's where the leak is....

A good tech would have an electronic leak detector to find it in no time.

Carrier evaporator coils have had a few leaks, get someone to verifie.
    If it is the coil, make the new one be a 'TIN' plated one.
    If the system runs with low refrigerant it could damage the compressor and cost more to operate.
    luck dan

really good chance the evap coil is leaking, its called formicary corrosion, replace with a tin plated coil

oldschool

I would recoop ref back to condensor than nitro test line set and evap coil. if no leak found than has to be outside unit.