Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: adding hard start kit as upsell

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpsimivalley View Post
    just wanted to get back to the top of the new posts list to get some replies

12. Do not double post or bump

Choose the correct category or section for your thread and put it in only one category forum. Also, if your thread has not received any new posts lately it will slide down the list, so be it. Do not post a reply just to bump it up the list.

Read our site rules.

Post Likes
    I'm an old dude, my body is falling apart, pains all over and getting weaker by the day. In my early years, I would put a condenser on my back and walk it around the house for a change out or trim daily. Now that I'm old, I often wonder what condition I would be in if I had a start assist back in the day, you know, let someone help me tote that condenser.

Post Likes
    Old Rheem 11 SEER super high efficiency AC call yesterday. Scroll with the external overload on top lol.
    No hard start, or 5-2-1.
    Unit was frozen, so yanked filter (dirty of course) and set unit to fan and pulled OD disconnect.
    Came back about 7pm last night and checked unit. It had thawed, had good pressures and the amp draw while running at outside ambient of 92, it was pulling 14.3A. Running amps should be 13.7A according to data plate.
    I was impressed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly says Lonnie thats not true or they would put low and high pressure cut outs on all units. The manufactures only seem to put the better stuff on high end units.
    Twilly is right on the money...it's all about the bottom line and how much money the companies making equipment can make.

I dug out the manual on my Lennox Merit series unit at my house. It shows "start assist *" and the asterick says "May Be Optional" in the install manual.

I know Goodman says "Units with reciprocating compressors and non-bleed TXV’s require a Hard Start Kit"...but they don't install one on the base model units.

I have hard starts on both my units at home...5-2-1's. I also suggest them to customers and about half will spend the money.
    Originally Posted by ladyfire3374:

"I used to wake up excited about the challenges of the day. Now the anticipation level is somewhere between a root canal and a colonoscopy."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly isn't in charge, Robo is the head of the committee and if your credentials are in order you should be approved shortly. The membership committee consists of Twilly, Robo and Weber.
    oh, thats a mistake....you shouldn't let steve be in charge of much..hahahaha

Post Likes
    I personally like the 5-2-1 compressor savers too been using them for a couple of year's they seem to work better and have less fail rate than others had a couple of the other brands blow up in my hand and the 5-2-1 is also good with a lot of manufactures and does not void warranties .

Post Likes
    thanks for the reply, what do u guys think of replacing tha cheap start thermistors with one?

Post Likes
    I think a unit that is working fine with no start issues should be left alone although selling a xx.xx dollar part for xxx.xx does improve the bottom line

Post Likes

"thus reduce energy consumption"

As far as energy savings, I don't see it or maybe my math is fuzzy?

From the 521 youtube video. The hard start kit reduced the max startup draw by 29 amps. Lets say this lasts for 1 second 6000 times a year.

29 amps x 240 volts = 6960 watts/1000 = 6.96 kwh
    3600 seconds in an hour 6.96/3600 = .00193 kwh per start
    6000 starts per year X .00193 = 11.6 kwh
    11.6 kwh x .15 per kwh = $1.74 per year
    (I think thats right)

Now what is not in the video.
    How much electricity is needed to recharge that hard start capacitor 6000 times a year? It wouldn't surprise me if it cost somewhere near $1.74

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I think a unit that is working fine with no start issues should be left alone although selling a xx.xx dollar part for xxx.xx does improve the bottom line
    Yeah, I sort of like looking at myself in the mirror and not thinking I am ripping folks off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    As far as energy savings, I don't see it or maybe my math is fuzzy?

From the 521 youtube video. The hard start kit reduced the max startup draw by 29 amps. Lets say this lasts for 1 second 6000 times a year.

29 amps x 240 volts = 6960 watts/1000 = 6.96 kwh
    3600 seconds in an hour 6.96/3600 = .00193 kwh per start
    6000 starts per year X .00193 = 11.6 kwh
    11.6 kwh x .15 per kwh = $1.74 per year
    (I think thats right)

Now what is not in the video.
    How much electricity is needed to recharge that hard start capacitor 6000 times a year? It wouldn't surprise me if it cost somewhere near $1.74
    When its a near design temp day outside. Have your wife turn the thermostat to off while your standing at the condenser, and then turn it back on. Listen to how long it takes for the compressor to start and get up to speed.

I didn't watch the video. But a hard start won't lower starting amp draw, it will lessen how long it draws that amperage.

Post Likes
    Back in the day you ever had to push start your car? Bet it would have been easier on you if you had a start assist. Your knees wouldn't be so bad today.

Up sell or not, jr, I think it takes a load off your compressor and like your knees can help them last longer.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Yeah, I sort of like looking at myself in the mirror and not thinking I am ripping folks off.
    im not trying to rip anyone off, just trying to offer better system performance. I saw after i started the thread that the title could give the wrong idea. what i meant was if you guys thought it was a good idea to suggest a start kit to customers as way to improve performance and extend the life of the equipment. my bad

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpsimivalley View Post
    im not trying to rip anyone off, just trying to offer better system performance. I saw after i started the thread that the title could give the wrong idea. what i meant was if you guys thought it was a good idea to suggest a start kit to customers as way to improve performance and extend the life of the equipment. my bad
    Until there is independent testing and confirmation that a hard start kits does either of those, then I am not going to try and sell it as "increasing the life span or as improving the performance" of equipment.

Even on the units that the manufacturer puts the "optional" label on the diagrams leads me to believe they look at it as a maybe, rather than a definite improvement. If it extended the lifespan, then they would include it to help cut down on warranties. If it made it more energy efficient, especially considering the cost, they would include it and tout their efficiency and greeness.

I am not opposed to hard start kits, just the idea of selling something with no hard data to back up the claims.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in