Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    thanks for the reply, what do u guys think of replacing tha cheap start thermistors with one?

I think a unit that is working fine with no start issues should be left alone although selling a xx.xx dollar part for xxx.xx does improve the bottom line

"thus reduce energy consumption"

As far as energy savings, I don't see it or maybe my math is fuzzy?

From the 521 youtube video. The hard start kit reduced the max startup draw by 29 amps. Lets say this lasts for 1 second 6000 times a year.

29 amps x 240 volts = 6960 watts/1000 = 6.96 kwh
    3600 seconds in an hour 6.96/3600 = .00193 kwh per start
    6000 starts per year X .00193 = 11.6 kwh
    11.6 kwh x .15 per kwh = $1.74 per year
    (I think thats right)

Now what is not in the video.
    How much electricity is needed to recharge that hard start capacitor 6000 times a year? It wouldn't surprise me if it cost somewhere near $1.74

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I think a unit that is working fine with no start issues should be left alone although selling a xx.xx dollar part for xxx.xx does improve the bottom line
    Yeah, I sort of like looking at myself in the mirror and not thinking I am ripping folks off.

Quote Originally Posted by tlj000 View Post
    As far as energy savings, I don't see it or maybe my math is fuzzy?

From the 521 youtube video. The hard start kit reduced the max startup draw by 29 amps. Lets say this lasts for 1 second 6000 times a year.

29 amps x 240 volts = 6960 watts/1000 = 6.96 kwh
    3600 seconds in an hour 6.96/3600 = .00193 kwh per start
    6000 starts per year X .00193 = 11.6 kwh
    11.6 kwh x .15 per kwh = $1.74 per year
    (I think thats right)

Now what is not in the video.
    How much electricity is needed to recharge that hard start capacitor 6000 times a year? It wouldn't surprise me if it cost somewhere near $1.74
    When its a near design temp day outside. Have your wife turn the thermostat to off while your standing at the condenser, and then turn it back on. Listen to how long it takes for the compressor to start and get up to speed.

I didn't watch the video. But a hard start won't lower starting amp draw, it will lessen how long it draws that amperage.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Back in the day you ever had to push start your car? Bet it would have been easier on you if you had a start assist. Your knees wouldn't be so bad today.

Up sell or not, jr, I think it takes a load off your compressor and like your knees can help them last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by stonewallred View Post
    Yeah, I sort of like looking at myself in the mirror and not thinking I am ripping folks off.
    im not trying to rip anyone off, just trying to offer better system performance. I saw after i started the thread that the title could give the wrong idea. what i meant was if you guys thought it was a good idea to suggest a start kit to customers as way to improve performance and extend the life of the equipment. my bad

Quote Originally Posted by jrpsimivalley View Post
    im not trying to rip anyone off, just trying to offer better system performance. I saw after i started the thread that the title could give the wrong idea. what i meant was if you guys thought it was a good idea to suggest a start kit to customers as way to improve performance and extend the life of the equipment. my bad
    Until there is independent testing and confirmation that a hard start kits does either of those, then I am not going to try and sell it as "increasing the life span or as improving the performance" of equipment.

Even on the units that the manufacturer puts the "optional" label on the diagrams leads me to believe they look at it as a maybe, rather than a definite improvement. If it extended the lifespan, then they would include it to help cut down on warranties. If it made it more energy efficient, especially considering the cost, they would include it and tout their efficiency and greeness.

I am not opposed to hard start kits, just the idea of selling something with no hard data to back up the claims.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123