Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble time View Post
    Very happy where I am now, but the new boss is an axxhole. I work for myself. I opened my own company and will never look back. Sure it was tough at first, but I provide quick honest service and my customers love it.
    The years and I do mean years of being in your shoes, I can never get back, if I could I would have quit and opened my own business long ago.
    all u owner/ops say that I wanna do it im just worried about providing for my fam in those first few years( 2 daughters(5 and new born) and an expensive wife(smokin hot). Gonna have to do it eventually,but want to have a good chunk saved before i make the move. did u do any advertising before opening,take insurance work(yuck),or just take your loyal customers with u from old company

I did not take one customer from my old company. (I have been contacted by some of my old customers from my old company and asked if I would be willing to drive to them and take over the contracts) I moved to a different area 120 miles away. I had to get insurance and did advertise after I opened my company. It was slow. Very slow. I did one job for a gentleman. He liked my work and spread the word. It snow balled and I have just been able to take time to reflect now. There are times when there is no work. I just go to the suppliers and "Network" spread the word..
    I am not saying it is easy, but my health suffered bigtime from the stress of "not Knowing if I was going to get enough work to pay the bills" It was out of my control. We service people are control freaks. Now I am in control of what jobs I take and how much work I take on. You would be surprised how many jobs you can get just on one recommendation..
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jrpsimivalley View Post
    nope, where u at now, are u in the biz?
    i'm in the buiss! it's feast or fantham, i'm in the north east! on a 98 degree day phone rings off the hook, on a 78 degree day, you say, what happened, whip sawed on a regular basis, this buiisness is very wheather related, tough to figure!

This is a family thing too. You should talk this over with your wife and family . You need your wife behind you and also she should be able to help. I sometimes get my wife to put on overalls and give me a hand with duct work. She does not mind and it really helps when you can not find anyone to work for you part time. (she also get to understand what all ranting and raving has been over the years.)

Frown

so as a boss(i saw ur profile) why over hire a position, we had 3 service techs and we all stayed busy, then 3 monthes ago they hired another tech(thinking we could use the help during the upcoming summer and we did for like a week) then brought the nube from install over for maintenance last month, and now 4 out of 5 of us ( all the techs) are home today at 130 and are all pissed( cause we do talk to each other) and have all been calling around to see whats out there
    just so you know, your boss may have figured he'd have a good year,he took a gamble, or maybe he bid on a job, thought he'd get it,and guess what, he didn't. it's not easy, being a boss. sometimes you guess right/wrong. crystal balls don't work, i used to have one.

Hmm

This is a family thing too. You should talk this over with your wife and family . You need your wife behind you and also she should be able to help. I sometimes get my wife to put on overalls and give me a hand with duct work. She does not mind and it really helps when you can not find anyone to work for you part time. (she also get to understand what all ranting and raving has been over the years.)
    hey trouble, you have a good partner! i like your style!

I did not take one customer from my old company. (I have been contacted by some of my old customers from my old company and asked if I would be willing to drive to them and take over the contracts) I moved to a different area 120 miles away. I had to get insurance and did advertise after I opened my company. It was slow. Very slow. I did one job for a gentleman. He liked my work and spread the word. It snow balled and I have just been able to take time to reflect now. There are times when there is no work. I just go to the suppliers and "Network" spread the word..
    I am not saying it is easy, but my health suffered bigtime from the stress of "not Knowing if I was going to get enough work to pay the bills" It was out of my control. We service people are control freaks. Now I am in control of what jobs I take and how much work I take on. You would be surprised how many jobs you can get just on one recommendation..
    great advice, guess i should start setting up time to take my c-20 test(oh here in the states ca to be exact thats our license)

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    hey trouble, you have a good partner! i like your style!
    MY wife is behind me 100%. With out her this business thing would not have worked out. When I had my doubts she reassured me. When I was high with the idea she encouraged me. When I needed help she put on overalls. Did not complain and did the dirty work too... LOVE HER>

It is like the old saying; behind every great man there is a woman.....
    In my case I am just a man, not great yet. She will always be great in my eyes.

Hmm

MY wife is behind me 100%. With out her this business thing would not have worked out. When I had my doubts she reassured me. When I was high with the idea she encouraged me. When I needed help she put on overalls. Did not complain and did the dirty work too... LOVE HER>

It is like the old saying; behind every great man there is a woman.....
    In my case I am just a man, not great yet. She will always be great in my eyes.
    good story,good luck.

Edna Bay, Alaska Highest concentration of black bears in the US
    Personally, I won't cut my own throat. I can bite my tongue, and line up a new job first. And don't burn bridges when you go. You never know when you might need a bridge.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.phil View Post
    Personally, I won't cut my own throat. I can bite my tongue, and line up a new job first. And don't burn bridges when you go. You never know when you might need a bridge.
    good advice!

so as a boss(i saw ur profile) why over hire a position, we had 3 service techs and we all stayed busy, then 3 monthes ago they hired another tech(thinking we could use the help during the upcoming summer and we did for like a week) then brought the nube from install over for maintenance last month, and now 4 out of 5 of us ( all the techs) are home today at 130 and are all pissed( cause we do talk to each other) and have all been calling around to see whats out there
    These guys have hit it on the head. I do not have an employee , only part timer that I can trust. I wish my wife was able to help like that..jealous!! Your boss is either trying to save money or keep from going under this month. Keep a positive outlook and get out there and hand out flyers for your new biz if you decide to do it.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Its the same thing here in Florida. We are only getting 40 hours a week if we are lucky..
    HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast