Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

why are my hours so low right now?

I guess i just need to vent... i work for a fairly large residential and light commercial company in so cal we have over 1000 pm customers and a large service base. usually even in slow times I average over 40 hrs a week doing maintenance with some service mixed in, right now its all service though but my hours have dropped a lot, and the dispatcher keeps saying that they cant get any pm's scheduled to fill in the gaps between service calls, but the owner did bring in a maintenance guy from install to help with pms during the heat waves but the guy knows nothing and is calling me atleast 3 times a day with stupid questions, but somehow he's working and im typing at home. I'm really wondering if I should start shopping my resume around. I really like working for my company (atleast used to, when I could pay my bills), but now I'm so angry inside I think I've got to do something.What do u guys got to say?

Confused

Well I feel your pain working up here in the great north east its feast or famin all winter long I can get 70 hr a week weather I want it or not with on call and rake in the money but once spring hits all service drys up and are ac season is a month or 2 at best some years and summer is when I need the most with 3 kids in day care but for them to have a install guy do your pm sucks unless they are short on installs and want to keep every body doing something until it comes back around and you might want to think about no picking up when he calls in the long run it might help you out if he call s other guys they might say its better for him to stick to installs and leave the trouble ****ing and pm to a service tech

Ever watch star trek?

The gang goes down to a new planet along with one guy with a red shirt that you've never seen before? He's toast every time. Don't be "lieutenant expendable".

Dispatchers generally don't make the manpower decisions and will string you along if told to do so. I'd quietly look around before I jammed up the owner about where I stood. Asking him "what do I need to do/offer to be less expendable?" would be a fair place to start the conversation.

thanks for the reply, ive hit up the owner already, hes really aproachable, we have a new dispatcher, old one would always have me hooked up with 10-12 hr days, guess this new one just doesnt know the eating order yet, ha. just way depressing to b sitting here typing when its 90 outside

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by jrpsimivalley View Post
    I guess i just need to vent... i work for a fairly large residential and light commercial company in so cal we have over 1000 pm customers and a large service base. usually even in slow times I average over 40 hrs a week doing maintenance with some service mixed in, right now its all service though but my hours have dropped a lot, and the dispatcher keeps saying that they cant get any pm's scheduled to fill in the gaps between service calls, but the owner did bring in a maintenance guy from install to help with pms during the heat waves but the guy knows nothing and is calling me atleast 3 times a day with stupid questions, but somehow he's working and im typing at home. I'm really wondering if I should start shopping my resume around. I really like working for my company (atleast used to, when I could pay my bills), but now I'm so angry inside I think I've got to do something.What do u guys got to say?
    the unemployement rate in california is? the stock market is down 500 points today, people are holding back on spending $. you could always ask buddies working for other co's how they are doing. sometimes other co's do to bids or have less over head, are more busy, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    the unemployement rate in california is? the stock market is down 500 points today, people are holding back on spending $. you could always ask buddies working for other co's how they are doing. sometimes other co's do to bids or have less over head, are more busy, good luck.
    u are totally right i count my blessings every day, like i said just needed to vent a little, and love to hear from others in the biz. u in so cal?

Confused

u are totally right i count my blessings every day, like i said just needed to vent a little, and love to hear from others in the biz. u in so cal?
    i once lived in LEMON GROVE CALIF. my aunt still lives in el cajon! did you know that dennis hopper lived in lemon grove?

Quote Originally Posted by MM#7 View Post
    i once lived in LEMON GROVE CALIF. my aunt still lives in el cajon! did you know that dennis hopper lived in lemon grove?
    nope, where u at now, are u in the biz?

Tough in Illinois too.

Tough here too. I have been chatting with alot of wholesalers and its just dry right now. There is still business going on but not at the rate to keep all guys busy. St. Louis is slower than ever. Springfield, Il is just getting by. Its tough. Its like October but with the heat.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by luskys a/c View Post
    Tough here too. I have been chatting with alot of wholesalers and its just dry right now. There is still business going on but not at the rate to keep all guys busy. St. Louis is slower than ever. Springfield, Il is just getting by. Its tough. Its like October but with the heat.
    so as a boss(i saw ur profile) why over hire a position, we had 3 service techs and we all stayed busy, then 3 monthes ago they hired another tech(thinking we could use the help during the upcoming summer and we did for like a week) then brought the nube from install over for maintenance last month, and now 4 out of 5 of us ( all the techs) are home today at 130 and are all pissed( cause we do talk to each other) and have all been calling around to see whats out there

I was in you situation years ago.. long and short of it I was let go. I hung in there longer than I should have and passed up some good job offers waiting for it to get better...."
    Get your resume' sharpened up and start looking, if you do find another place to work, then talk to the owner and ask the important question.
    If I had it to do over again I would go in the next time I showed up for work and ask what the xxxxx is going on and if there is not a good answer I would be out the door... The stress of that situation is really bad for your emotional well being as well as your physical. I would rather be unemployed than have an owner of a company own me.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

ouch, thats the feeling in the back of my mind. Problem is i'm nervous to start over somewhere else again, plus my pay is preety high over here cause we are one of the more expensive in town(but worth every penny). you happy where ur at now? I've always thought of finding a job and sticking with it. guess I better start emailing my resume out and see if I get any bites

ouch, thats the feeling in the back of my mind. Problem is i'm nervous to start over somewhere else again, plus my pay is preety high over here cause we are one of the more expensive in town(but worth every penny). you happy where ur at now? I've always thought of finding a job and sticking with it. guess I better start emailing my resume out and see if I get any bites
    Very happy where I am now, but the new boss is an axxhole. I work for myself. I opened my own company and will never look back. Sure it was tough at first, but I provide quick honest service and my customers love it.
    The years and I do mean years of being in your shoes, I can never get back, if I could I would have quit and opened my own business long ago.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast