Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In-laws recently had two new Bryant Furnace Model 355MAA installed. The furnace that service their basement has a distinct whistling sound when there is call for heat. The company that did the install stop out and said that they are not sure why it whistles. Anyone here have any ideas as to what may be the source of the whistle sound?

Also my father-in-law said the inducement motor sounded loud and rattle a bit when they had the front panel off. The noise is not noticible when the panel is on. Tech said this is normal. Is it?

Thanks for the help.

They need to check gas pressure and gaspipe size. Is it L.P.?

>>>edit... removed caps

[Edited by jultzya on 11-12-2005 at 11:43 PM]

No

it is natural gas.

They should get the tech back out there and have them look at it. A properly burning furnace shouldn't loudly whistle.

>>>edit... removed caps

[Edited by jultzya on 11-12-2005 at 11:45 PM]

This is only a wild guess but a duct could be leaking at a joint, forcing the air out and causing the sound you hear. Seems strange that it would only be in heat. Are you sure the model is 355MAA? No model exists to my knowledge that is 355MAA. The closest thing I can think of is 355MAV. If this is the case, the fan speed my be higher in High-Heat than Fan On mode, causing the whistling sound to only be heard at higher air flow air levels.

That is what

I told my in-laws. Just wondering if there is a likely cause for the whistle on this Bryant furnace. I know that there are some Bryant experts on this forum so I hope they can shed some light on what may be the cause. Anyone?

Sorry, the model is 355AAV. Typing faster than my brain computes.

[Edited by acam on 11-11-2005 at 07:11 PM]

Can you listen around it and maybe pinpoint or isolate the area this whistling is coming from? Without seeing it, my first thought is ductwork joints leaking as york_hvac said. Maybe gas pressures weren't adjusted properly, but that's unlikely to make a whistle type of sound... low rumbling, fluttering, etc, but I haven't heard one do what I'd call 'whistle'. One more thing- the AAV's can be single piped, meaning it can use household air for combustion rather than piping in fresh air from outside and only the exhaust gases are piped to outside. Maybe the inlet is too small, has loose joints, (I'm just guessing now without being able to see for myself)??? I've never installed one that way as I feel it negates a lot of the efficiency you are after in the first place. Why not burn free outside air instead of the stuff you've paid to heat, right? These 355's are darn quiet furnaces and they should like them over anything they had prior.
    Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.

To small of a flex connector is one thing that causes burner whistle.

Thanks for the help

I went over last night to get a better idea where the whistling sound is coming from. It appears to be coming from the furnace's air intake. The furnace does drawing inside air since there wasn't enough clearence to do the two pipe system on both furnaces -- only the main floor furnace has both pipes going outside. The inside pipe is a 2 inch pipe with a screen. Is this pipe properly sized. If so, does the sound suggest inadequate air getting to the furance?

Another thing I noticed is the exhaust pipe for this furnace terminates about 8-10 inches above the air conditioner on the outside of the house. Do you thing this will cause a problem in the winter with mositure building up on the unit. Should they cover the AC? I know there is another current thread on this subject and my reading of the responses is to not fully cover the AC as this only causes problems. However with setup, with does the board think.

I really appreciate everyones help!!!!

If the return air connection is on the side of the furnace, check the base plate of the furnace.
    I have seen the base cover plate not seal completely and it whistles.
    I use metal tape on ALL of my installs now and I don't have the problem any more....

Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

In most cases the furnace will whistle when it does not know the words to the song.

Ok just joking,,, check for all types of air leaks especially around the the cold air.

Insufficient return air is the most common reason for a whistling sound. Since you seem to think the sound is from the combustion air intake, I would look for a lack of or insufficient air for combustion being supplied to the room where the furnaces are. Is there any dedicated ventilation for that room? Do you have tight construction, new windows and doors? An attic fan? This could be a dangerous situation if it is a lack of air for combustion.
    ...SHEEESH!!!

Re: Thanks for the help

Originally posted by acam
    Another thing I noticed is the exhaust pipe for this furnace terminates about 8-10 inches above the air conditioner on the outside of the house. Do you thing this will cause a problem in the winter with mositure building up on the unit. Should they cover the AC? I know there is another current thread on this subject and my reading of the responses is to not fully cover the AC as this only causes problems. However with setup, with does the board think.

I really appreciate everyones help!!!! [/B]
    Yes! This can be a problem!

Go to here: http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=48657

Click on the movie and stop it at 2:33

See what I mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast