Question

Is it necesary to have the outdoor units covered in winter time?

The cover will keep it from dirt, leaves, rain and snow. Where can I get the covers?

Thanks in advance.

Vic

You should not cover your outdoor unit in the winter unless you intend to keep it out of service while covered.

do not cover the whole unit. it will trap moisture. put a piece of plywood on top to keep the leaves out.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

if it's an a/c you're refering to, place a piece of plywood over it to avoid the leaves and small branches. allow air to move around the sides to keep moisture at a minimum.

if it is a heat pump, do not cover.

Condensers are made to withstand the weather. Do not cover it and have a spring clean and check anyways.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Leaves and pine needles tend to fall in the CU and trap drain openings. This makes rusting and deterioration occur faster. The CU is weatherproof and so is your car. But if you covered your car or CU it would help. As others said, don't cover it completely. You want it to breathe so moisture doesn't get trapped. Also if you have a heat pump don't cover it at all.
    Learning is a lifelong process

I made a cover from piece of 1" hard foam insulation and foil tape. My HVAC tech thought it looked good today when he did my annual service.

I made a cover for just the top. made a frame out of 2 by 6, plywood on top of the frame (frame is weight to keep the plywood on the unit. I turn off the breaker to advoid any accidental turn on.

I have tons of leaves in the back yard,

Also if your unit is near the roof line where ice can fly down into the grill, it may damage the fan blade.

if your unit is safe from leaves, and ice, then leave it uncovered.