Lennox vs Bryant

Could anyone please explain the main difference between the following two product? We have a 2-story house with ~2900 sqft above ground.

G61MPV60c-091 vs Bryant 355BAV 060-120
    xc17 4 ton. vs Bryant 126 3.5 ton.

Do they have similar performance? I know xc17 has higher seer than 126. What about the furnace? 355B has higher output than G61, what kind of difference we can feel/see?

If Bryant is $$ cheaper than Lennox, what does $$ buy from lennox?

Thanks!

It's the dealer that makes the difference....which one do you feel...or have reviews or references from...that you think would do a better job?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

What if both contractors have good reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    What if both contractors have good reviews?
    From people you know ....or the internet?
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

which one did a load calc, showed you the results and showed you why they picked that size?

lennox ac 4 ton
    bryant ac 3.5 ton

355 is biggest furnace in the evolution lineup does it include the evolution controller?

bd-g difference from91000btuh to 120,000 btuh

Thanks for your info. I'm not sure who is right. Our original a/c was 3.5ton and furnace was 100,000btu.

The Bryant man gave me two options of furnace, one is 060/100 one is 060/120. He said the larger one can get some tax refund. He definitely didn't do calc since he only wrote down the model numbers from our old unit.

The Lennox guy did some measurements and told me we should use the 4 ton a/c. (We didn't have cooling problems before the A/C died though).
    The Lennox guy tried to push the highest end products to me and lower down to current option. The Bryant guy just asked me what level we want to go (from the builder's model to the highest end), and we chose the middle level. He wrote down these thing.

Now I don't know if these two different product will give similar performance or not?

BTW, what is the evolution controller? Is it the thermo they provide?

Thank you very much!

I think there are some other things you need to consider. What part of the country do you live in? If you live in a heating climate, invest more money in the furnace. If you live in a cooling climate, invest in a higher seer A/C. If you only use the A/C for 4 or 5 months, it doesn't make sense, IMO, to invest in higher seer A/C units. The rest of the year, you'd be using the furnace or nothing at all, depending on the weather. For a 2900 sq.ft. home, 120,000 btu furnace seems pretty oversized. 4 tons of cooling also sounds a little oversized. I could be wrong, because I don't know all of the particulars of the home and what part of the country you live in, but based on the sq.ft., the equipment doesn't sound like it's sized properly.

I would never install a Lennox!!! the extra money doesn't buy you anything. Except for more expensive parts to replace later. If this is a change out situation, there can be no guarantee if the ductwork is absolutely correct. so... go simple. Lennox trys to be too complicated in there systems. Not very service tech friendly of furnace either. Hard to get to parts. Go Bryant all the way. Simple and dependable

We have a long winter and A/C use is only about 2~3 mon.
    Does oversized furnace use more gas given the same temp. to achieve but faster?

I personally like Lennox better than Bryant. As a tech, if you understand the sequence of operation(s), you should be able to work on anything. Depending on the contractor, parts may or may not be available for either unit. With your A/C season being so short, I would only put in a 13 seer A/C, there will be no ROI by going any higher. An oversized furnace will not provide you with better comfort, it would be worse. You really want the properly sized equipment for design condtions. Slightly undersized would be better than oversized, IMO.

But... i guess i'm just a Bryant/Carrier fan, and when it comes to repairs, they are simple to diagnois and i can actually have room in the cabinet to do any repairs.

Back to the sizing issue. So I'd better chose the 60/100, even after rebate, the 60/120 one is cheaper?

Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Back to the sizing issue. So I'd better chose the 60/100, even after rebate, the 60/120 one is cheaper?
    Better to find out what size you really need first.

And over sized furnace on under sized duct work will use more gas. And may shut down on its safeties, and leave you with a cold house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?