+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: York & JCI

Post Likes

Question York & JCI

Where is York in the market now since they got took over by JCI???

2. Likes chillin liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just my opinion, I'll say it and I hate it. They've (jci) ruined a good thing in my eyes and on the chiller side of the industry. As far as the market I have no idea. Caribbean Blue !!!

Post Likes
    Gone to crap. Woked for York for 5 yrs the JCI came along. Wouldn't drink the blue kool aide. Quality has really gone down hill

Post Likes
    what am i missing? whats up with

blue?
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    PAINT
    Exterior surfaces are protected with one coat of Caribbean blue, durable alkyd-modified, vinyl enamel,
    machinery paint

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by henpeck View Post
    Just my opinion, I'll say it and I hate it. They've (jci) ruined a good thing in my eyes and on the chiller side of the industry. As far as the market I have no idea. Caribbean Blue !!!
    What actually did they change about the chiller product line?The York business plan across the board was in shambles,hence the reason the York brand was able to be purchased(not took over).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teamkudzu View Post
    What actually did they change about the chiller product line?The York business plan across the board was in shambles,hence the reason the York brand was able to be purchased(not took over).
    A smaller company was bought by a larger company because the larger company had the resources to do so, nothing more. The only thing in that entire situation that turned out to be in a shambles was jci's attitude towards York because what York did was something that by their own admission they didn't understand. That specific statement was made to me on multiple occasions by jci management. Too bad that jci didn't have enough humility to let people go on doing what they do best and simply tweak things instead of making wholesale changes that served no purpose other than to run good people away. But that's their corporate philosophy, "Just Change It".

Post Likes
    OK,What was changed from day to day operations for York personnel are the York chiller line or any York product? The only thing that was eliminated was the York control line that I know of.

Still don't see the logic of JCI "took over York" if York was so solid it would not have been open to be "purchased"...resources has nothing to do with it, if it was a solid thriving company.

What tweaking would you have proposed?

Post Likes
    ..Still don't see the logic of JCI "took over York" if York was so solid it would not have been open to be "purchased"...resources has nothing to do with it, if it was a solid thriving company.
    This statement alone shows a lack of insight into how things happen where money is concerned. I guess next you're going to say that Trane was on the verge of collapse so I/R came in and saved the day with them?

As far as things being a "shambles", maybe it wasn't done the way that jci would do it, but that doesn't make it wrong. Just like they told me that our GPM wasn't where it should have been, right before they told me that different companies figure gross margin in different ways. My profit is determined by how much I need to make to stay in business, not what you think I should make. Never understood all the double-talk and explanations. Couldn't figure out if they were lying to me or to themselves.

Post Likes
    OK,What was changed from day to day operations for York personnel are the York chiller line or any York product?
    If you have to ask this question, apparently you weren't at York when all this took place, which means that you're arguing something on which you have no point of reference.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by klove View Post
    If you have to ask this question, apparently you weren't at York when all this took place, which means that you're arguing something on which you have no point of reference.
    Please enlighten us as to all(as that is tied to the OP question in the way this thread has turned) of the changes for field guys that was so disastrous compared to York...

Post Likes
    Your right K, I've just been there, done that twice. On both accounts it was more like, can't beat'em - buy them! All in all, it's probly more just a local/personal issue that left a bad taste in my mouth and I have to just deal with it.

Post Likes
    I don't know all the details about what happened between these companies but what I do know is that to this day it still isn't a good relationship between each other and never will be in my opinion . whats done is done just let it go and stop arguing with these pin heads. I would not even give them the satisfaction of any explaination peroid.
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

The best part of going to work is coming back home at the end of the day.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

Post Likes
    I had the opertunity to see a new YK chiller and it is a nice machine. They addressed the VFD cooling problem as well as the motor bearing fluting problem. So product development is still under way even if it is a crappy place to work.

Post Likes

York, a JCI Company

Normally, I just lurk around this site, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

To the OP, the York product line is doing fine. Research and development is still close to what before the buyout. I rarely work on air cooled product, but from what I hear, we are making progress in upgrading some of that equipment. Some of the control problems on the air cooled side were brought about because JCI wanted to incorporate things into existing software to make it easier to mesh with Metasys. Other problems occurred because York was forced to use JCI product suppliers who's quality was not up to par with the suppliers York used. Some of the problems stemmed from the fact that JCI did not want to spend a ton of money on R+D and pushed things out the door to quick. Most of the problems have been worked out, some have not. What I can tell you is that they push the factories to get the product out the door quickly and that is why our warranty work increases everyday!
    JCI has a different business philosophy than York had. At York, it was make a quality product, back it up with quality service, and the rest will take care of itself. At JCI, it is get the chiller out the door and bill the customer. They still think that the labor force south of the border is the answer, cheaper cost to manufacture but the prices have not gone down, but the warranty work has gone up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACFITTER562 View Post
    Normally, I just lurk around this site, but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

To the OP, the York product line is doing fine. Research and development is still close to what before the buyout. I rarely work on air cooled product, but from what I hear, we are making progress in upgrading some of that equipment. Some of the control problems on the air cooled side were brought about because JCI wanted to incorporate things into existing software to make it easier to mesh with Metasys. Other problems occurred because York was forced to use JCI product suppliers who's quality was not up to par with the suppliers York used. Some of the problems stemmed from the fact that JCI did not want to spend a ton of money on R+D and pushed things out the door to quick. Most of the problems have been worked out, some have not. What I can tell you is that they push the factories to get the product out the door quickly and that is why our warranty work increases everyday!
    JCI has a different business philosophy than York had. At York, it was make a quality product, back it up with quality service, and the rest will take care of itself. At JCI, it is get the chiller out the door and bill the customer. They still think that the labor force south of the border is the answer, cheaper cost to manufacture but the prices have not gone down, but the warranty work has gone up.
    Without any doubt, this is the best responce I have ever heard or read concerning the purchase of my beloved York. No flaming, no bull-****, just plain simple well thought out facts. My hat is off to you HVACFITTER562.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    Fortunately jci kept some of the key people in the engineering group such as KB, BH, DD, MG, and a couple of others who have given their all to create a top of the line product. These guys have always had a great relationship with the experienced YORK mechanics. They found that after the aquisition that jci flooded the chiller service world with subpar mechanics(based on lack of training and time on the equipment) and they, the product engineering group was mandated to bail their ass out on a daily basis. I think jci has since regrouped and is allowing these key people to assume their pryor roles and continue to develop a wonderful product. BUT the old saying still holds true today that NOBODY LEAVES YORK CARRIER AND TRANE TO WORK FOR jci, but jci mechanics always leave to work for YORK CARRIER OR TRANE. With that being said, I would like to see the numbers on how many YORK mechanics have left since the buyout. I have heard it is around 60% but can not prove this. If that is the case, I personally believe they have set themselves back at least five years across chiller service spectrum.

Post Likes
    I spent nine years with Jci and was going to york when Jci purchased them. I watched Jci ruin a great company and brand. I stayed there for 4 years after the purchase as a chiller team manager and after watching Jci screw customers that had been with york for decades leave in droves I decided that I could not be part of a company that did not Care for it's field techs or customers anymore.

I took the branch manager position with a mechanical company and in one you 9 techs have left Jci and are working for me now.

A company is only as good as the field techs that are taking care of the customers.

20. Likes chillin liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac1622 View Post
    I spent nine years with Jci and was going to york when Jci purchased them. I watched Jci ruin a great company and brand. I stayed there for 4 years after the purchase as a chiller team manager and after watching Jci screw customers that had been with york for decades leave in droves I decided that I could not be part of a company that did not Care for it's field techs or customers anymore.

I took the branch manager position with a mechanical company and in one you 9 techs have left Jci and are working for me now.

A company is only as good as the field techs that are taking care of the customers.
    Ditto
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

The best part of going to work is coming back home at the end of the day.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmac1622 View Post

AMEN. I spent my apprenticeship with YORK and personally witnessed jci screw too many customers and blame it on us the mechanics. I now work for the competition at their request and have found life to be like old YORK, where the emphasis is on taking care of the customer, making a profit and going home safe at the end of the day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in