Hi

Love the site, especially how honest everyone seems to be!

Anyways my problem.... I need to replace my 12yr. old Heil (90%) gas furnace. My choices are 92% Trane two-stage,variable speed blower. Or a Kelvinator 92% single speed, single stage. The difference is $EDIT more for the Trane. I was told the DC blower and lower burner use on the Trane would save me considerable $ on my electric and gas bill. What do you guys think is my best option? I really like both of the installers but I am soooo confused????? Thanks again for the great info. Hope you can help with my dilemma!!! Are they really comparable furnaces??? I don't use AC, so some of the benefits of a variable speed blower are lost.

Both installers have good referrals. And have been in business a long time promoting these two brands. My Heil has only made it 12 yrs and I can't figure out if the more complex Trane would last, or should i just give up and realize that a furnace is only gonna last 10 yrs and go for the cheaper model? sooo confused........

(EDIT: No pricing questions please. Thanks. Mod01.)

[Edited by Mod01 on 11-11-2005 at 01:09 PM]

You wrote: "I was told the DC blower and lower burner use on the Trane would save me considerable $ on my electric and gas bill."

Let me guess. It was the Trane dealer that said that.

If they are both 92%, then there won't be much difference in operation costs. That's the reason for an AFUE rating.

At least that's my understanding.

Others will be along later to tout the virtues of one over the other.

It's a good problem to have, choosing between two reputable dealers.

The VS motor will save on juice, the 2 stage will not save on gas, it is a comfort thing. There are 2 stage gas furnaces with standard blower motors too, though Trane's is almost as high as their XV model. A lot of the benefit of variable speed is humidity control in the summer so it may not be worth the premium to go for it.

if you don't use a/c......

then I would go for the single speed a/h. If you opt for the v/s motor, check into the extended warranty/parts/labor. They are very proud of their v/s motors and price them accordingly, which could shock you down the road.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

So does that mean blower motors breakdown ALOT on variable speed more than single? Is it more common on Trane? Or is it just a roll of the dice? Also has anyone have opinions on the Kelvinator?

Thanks again for all the advice it is greatly appreciated!!

[Edited by tanner9868 on 11-11-2005 at 03:53 PM]

Originally posted by tanner9868
    So does that mean blower motors breakdown ALOT on variable speed more than single? Is it more common on Trane? Or is it just a roll of the dice? Also has anyone have opinions on the Kelvinator?

Thanks again for all the advice it is greatly appreciated!!

[Edited by tanner9868 on 11-11-2005 at 03:53 PM]
    I'm not saying they break down more, but there are more components in a vs air handler and they are much more costly than the single speed, so if you go that route cover your butt with the warranty. Everything mechanical is a roll of the dice,and I won't bash Trane or any brand. They all have their good points/bad points.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

[i]posted by smokin68 [/B]
    and I won't bash Trane or any brand. They all have their good points/bad points. [/B][/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with you smokin68. I get tired of brand bashing.
    All Seasons Heating & Cooling