Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trane 410A

So how did they do.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    So how did they do.
    Good news! Both units held and kept the house temp. at 75. I had called Braeburn with a Thermostat question as we got 2 different answers from the Service Tech. when I asked if the Thermo. shows when Stage 2 is running. The first time we had him out he told us the Thermostat will say AUX when running in 2nd stage and showed me as it said AUX. When he came out 3 days later I told him it's not showing AUX anymore, he said he was mistaken and guessed our 5200 doesn't tell when its in 2nd stage. Hmmm. So I called Braeburn to get to the bottom of it. He called me back today and left a voice mail and said their 5200 thermostats do say AUX when either the heating or cooling is running in 2nd stage. Nothing like mixed signals to a homeowner. We have a Braeburn 5200-165-004 Thermo. So either it's cooling our house in Stage 1 when it's 105-110 out we even had higher humidity today 26% or the Braeburn guy is wrong. He left a voice mail so I'm calling him back tomorrow to actually talk with him. Would that be possible the XL16i would cool the house in Stage 1 when it's so hot out (105-110)? What kicks Stage 2 in? the Thermostat or the Trane compressor? The Service tech. told me on Friday that stage 2 wasn't wired properly at the heat pump and he properly wired it and now stage 2 will kicked in, if that is the case why doesn't the Thermo. say AUX again?

I'll give it another test tomorrow and leave the Thermo. at 75 in the morning to see if they hold. It's suppose to be hotter tomorrow. Thank you

The thermostat may not be set up right. It may require a 2 degree or more temp increase to bring on second stage. look in the manual.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

OK will do

Well it looks like your system is working the way it should mechanically but your stat may not be set up right (not annunciating stage 2). You stated when you turned down the temp it started blowing colder...that's stage 2 kicking in. You simply didn't have the stat set low enough. One way you can tell when stage 2 is running (until stat is straightened out), is when it blows colder out the vents. You are used to a single stage system which cycles more and always blows 55 to 60 out of the vents. With a 2 stage system, your going to have to get used to the system running continuously during hot days and cycling between low and high speed. That's normal. If you want the house to be colder, turn down the stat. Did you say you have a variable speed air handler? If so, is the fan speed slowing down when the system cycles to 1st stage?

Yes we have a variable speed air handler. I will check the fan speed and reply and check out the Thermostat

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the fan speed should lower when the unit goes to stage 1. This should reduce air flow while maintaining a similar discharge air temp. I can't remember off hand without looking it up. I'm a commercial tech and haven't worked on many residential 2 stage systems lately. Maybe one of the other techs can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    Well it looks like your system is working the way it should mechanically but your stat may not be set up right (not annunciating stage 2). You stated when you turned down the temp it started blowing colder...that's stage 2 kicking in. You simply didn't have the stat set low enough. One way you can tell when stage 2 is running (until stat is straightened out), is when it blows colder out the vents. You are used to a single stage system which cycles more and always blows 55 to 60 out of the vents. With a 2 stage system, your going to have to get used to the system running continuously during hot days and cycling between low and high speed. That's normal. If you want the house to be colder, turn down the stat. Did you say you have a variable speed air handler? If so, is the fan speed slowing down when the system cycles to 1st stage?
    As per the AOP Rules only Professional Members * can reply with advice to the OP. Anyone may post and ask questions. They may even question the * member answer but not give advice or expand on the advice given. Please read these rules for a complete understanding. AOP Rules

For those in our industry who wish to become a Professional Member, please click here and follow the instructions. Apply for Professional Membership
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-09-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: No *

We will check it out, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe the fan speed should lower when the unit goes to stage 1. This should reduce air flow while maintaining a similar discharge air temp. I can't remember off hand without looking it up. I'm a commercial tech and haven't worked on many residential 2 stage systems lately. Maybe one of the other techs can chime in.
    As per the AOP Rules only Professional Members * can reply with advice to the OP. Anyone may post and ask questions. They may even question the * member answer but not give advice or expand on the advice given. Please read these rules for a complete understanding. AOP Rules

For those in our industry who wish to become a Professional Member, please click here and follow the instructions. Apply for Professional Membership
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-09-2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: No *

OK thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona1993 View Post
    OK thanks
    Thanks for what? My description of the how the unit should be wired is not something a HO should be doing. And it's not done a stat anyways! But, you could ask your installer if they wired the unit according to the outdoor unit wiring diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post

The 16i can be confusing to wire. Seems like our guys struggle with it. After a few dozen I can do it with 1 hand tied behind my back now.

We usually use the Trane model 402 stats. I like using the BK output feature with the 2 stage systems. THey also show stage 1, stage 2 on the screen.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-09-2011 at 05:18 AM. Reason: quote of non *

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast