Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trane 410A

First, you would need to leave them run for a long long time to bring the temp down further, even with second stage now working. With the outdoor temps you have been having.

There are thermostats that will tell you when second stage is on. Or at least when the thermostat is calling for second stage.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Tell your dealer you would like a courtesy check by a Trane FSR ( field service rep). There are two in Phoenix and they will get to the bottom of your issues ( Hint, they wouldn't like the T stats you have). If you had a 2 1/2 ton upstairs before and you have a 3 ton XL16i now and it won't keep up, something is not right!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

We let it run for 2 hrs. and it got down to 78 but never shut off. It's like it has to keep running. It's blowing out 70 again out of the vents probably because it hasn't shut off for hrs. Back to the same thing so I'm not convinced it was a wiring issue.

We we will request the Trane TSR and I do agree Trane won't like the thermostat they insisted I have. From what I've been told after my install from others, I should have been given a Trane touch thermostat in order to get the rebate I received from Trane. I wonder if I paid for the better Thermostat and didn't get it. I don't like this Braeburn thermostat. They tried to give replace my Honeywell Programmable thermostat with my instal in 2008 with a Braeburn non-programmable and when I saw it on the wall, I had them take it off and put my Honeywell back on as that was a downgrade. Can I request that from Trane myself (I have their local numbers) or do I need to have that request made through my AC Company who installed the System at my insistance? I do have Extended Warranties on both units.

The "I" series condenser "plastic" decorative tops tend to cause recirculated air if placed in a confined space or right next to each other and problems usually show up in the hot summer months.

Due to confined space we do not have the plastic tops on the units we have the flat metal ones. Our AC Installer did tell us we had to have them removed and replaced with the flat metal ones.

Not there to check subcooling or superheat but the sypmtoms are similar to an undercharge or a restriction which would cause a loss of capacity. These can happen from improper lineset installation practises.Another capacity thief is flash gas. Trane recommends insulating both linesets when they travel through a hot attic. Is your attic hot? Here is an airhandler with both lines insulated. Does yours look like this?

The 2.5ton worked fine before, and the new 3 ton doesnt. Both units would have close to the same capacities at 110*. I'm sure the airflow has improved with the new Trane unit......can you tell? Have you noticed stronger air currents coming out of your registers? Did anybody modify or change your filter grill? Did anybody change the type of filters that you were using? Does your home seem more or less humid after the new upstairs unit?

Good luck. A problem will be found and you will be cool like before. Your patience will be greatly appreciated by your contractor because we're all working like dogs right now. It comes with the heat.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

mabey they dont have a dip swich set right in the air handler for the right condensing unit? I cant remember if you set the dip swiches for the tonage of the condensing unit on a trane.

mabey its set for a 5ton instead oF A 3ton. Just a idea hope that helps. Also do u have a evap cooler? if you do the damper could be stuck open!

Quote Originally Posted by ACFIXR View Post
    Another capacity thief is flash gas. Trane recommends insulating both linesets when they travel through a hot attic. Is your attic hot? Here is an airhandler with both lines insulated. Does yours look like this?
    I've never heard of insulating the liquid line when it runs through the attic. I'm in Texas and most air handlers are in the attic. I've been an HVAC tech for 25 years and have never seen that before. I just pulled the installation instructions for this unit off of e-Library and it doesn't mention that anywhere. I don't doubt you, but I'm interested in seeing where Trane recommends that. Can you post the literature number? Is that something new thats required on the 2 stage or R410A units? I'm a chiller tech so I don't work on much residential units anymore.

Thats a nice looking install by the way.

Attached are pictures of our linesets from the attic variable speed air handler and garage variable speed air handler. Only one lineset is insulated. The one that is cold to touch is insulated the other one is warm to touch and is not insulated. The one in the attic travels a small ways in the attic about 7 ft. and than down the wall and under our house slab all the way to the opposite side of the house. They did install new filter grates in 2008 for both new unit in 2008(downstairs) and at the time the old carrier unit that was upstairs (attic). Haven't changed the type of filter we've used for years. We use the Web washerable filter it's black and silver, we have always made sure the filters and grate are very clean. Yes the air flow is better upstairs as one bedroom didn't have much air flow to it before the new unit. Today the downstairs was blowing out at the vents at 58-60 and the upstairs 65 we seems to be the case always with the new unit upstairs. Both Therm. set at 78. The old unit blow 55 upstairs (R22). Should I mention to our AC company about why the other copper lineset is not insulated? As far as humidity no noted difference in humidity.
    Attached Images Attached Images       

No Evap. cooler. and I asked the Service Tech. who is new with the company, young fellow, if their is a possibly the dips switches on the air handler are not set correctly. Without going up and looking at it he said they should be fine. Don't know why he didn't check out the the switches since I brought it up. I know he was on the phone with the owner of the company while checking out the outside unit. He came in and said the 2nd stage wasn't wired correctly and it was only running in stage one and all should be Ok now but it's not. Could that be a possibility I would think it would come from the factory with it wired correctly so Stage 2 would come on when its suppose to.

Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I've never heard of insulating the liquid line when it runs through the attic. I'm in Texas and most air handlers are in the attic. I've been an HVAC tech for 25 years and have never seen that before. I just pulled the installation instructions for this unit off of e-Library and it doesn't mention that anywhere. I don't doubt you, but I'm interested in seeing where Trane recommends that. Can you post the literature number? Is that something new thats required on the 2 stage or R410A units? I'm a chiller tech so I don't work on much residential units anymore.

Thats a nice looking install by the way.
    I have been been to many trane classes and they have never said to insulate the liquid line. However the carrier classes i have been too the guy has told are class to insulate the liquid line if its a long run and in a hot attic. Its not un heard of in phoenix AZ. I have never had to do insulate a liquid line yet tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona1993 View Post
    No Evap. cooler. and I asked the Service Tech. who is new with the company, young fellow, if their is a possibly the dips switches on the air handler are not set correctly. Without going up and looking at it he said they should be fine. Don't know why he didn't check out the the switches since I brought it up. I know he was on the phone with the owner of the company while checking out the outside unit. He came in and said the 2nd stage wasn't wired correctly and it was only running in stage one and all should be Ok now but it's not. Could that be a possibility I would think it would come from the factory with it wired correctly so Stage 2 would come on when its suppose to.
    from the factory it does come ready to work with a 2 stage unit. However any one can sell a peice of equitment, but to install it right is another thing. every one makes mistakes. Has this company put alot of these units in? If not i would still think the wiring is wrong as the xl 16i air handler is a little different to wire up then some other 2 stage units. As long as they read the install book they should of got it right.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast