Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Trane 410A

Trane 410A

I have a (2008)5 ton Trane heat pump XL14i downstairs and a (2011)3 ton 2 stage heat pump 16XLi upstairs both of variable speed air handlers. Prior we had two Contractor Grade Carrier units (1993) R-22 original units we have a 1993 home. The new units don't seem to cool down the house like the R-22 Carrier Units especially when the temps. are 103 and abovt. They didn't even cool down the house to 79 when it was 110-115 it only cooled it down to 82. I live in Phoenix and today it's 108 with 17% humidity partly cloudy. I typically set the AC at 79 and it will meet that temp. unless we get up to 110 and above. But if I set it to 78 degrees the inside temp. goes up to 80 not down.. We checked how cold the air was coming out the vents and it's coming out at 70. That seems too high in other words not normal. Our filters are clean. In April when Arizona was cooler the air came out of the vents at 55. I'm so unhappy with these Units. I've talked to others with other brands and they don't seem to have trouble cooling their home down to the set temp. I've had the Freon checked and they said it's fine.

I would think these units would be able to keep up with Arizona summer temps. Any suggestions on what I can do or what I can ask our AC company to check. I just get the answer of "IT'S HOT OUT" when I talk to them or how the 410A runs at high pressures and doesn't do well with high humidity which it's not high now or high temps. Had I know that I would have purchased R22 units again as it was an option but I was told we have to change over to 410A eventually. I just looked and now my Thermo. says it's 81 in here and it's set to 79. I have a stand alone thermo. and it shows the same thing. Basically these units can't handle AZ heat.

Could have something with the install gone wrong perhaps we can check something on that. Oh to add we had a new coimpressor installed in April, 2011 on the 2008 unit it sounded like a Mag Truck and the motor went out in the Air Handler this past weekend. Not impressed with our purchase from Trane at ALL.

Are the units the same size as the old?

Yes they are the same size. We may of had a 2.5 ton upstairs before and it wasn't a 2 stage.

Are your air handlers in the attic?
    There is a possibility that your linesets are not properly insulated or were not properly evacuated and charged during the installation.
    Also there is a possibility that you have some duct leaks or some duct insulation issues.
    These are some issues that could be "new" from the install.
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

We have one air handler(2008 unit) in the garage which services the 5 Ton Heat Pump and the other air handler (2011 unit) yes is in the attic which services the 3 Ton 2 stage heat pump which cools the upstairs. The heat pumps sit side by side on the side of our home. FYI our upstairs has 4 bedrooms with the hallway as an open loft style looking down stairs in other words it's not closed off from the downstairs. Volted ceilings downstairs. (Master bedroom downstairs though) 3100 sq. ft. home.

At our request we did ask the installers to check our duct work and reported no leaks but who knows if they did. We have some flex ductwork and the rest is metal ductwork. He called it a closed system. We did ourselves inspect the ductwork and it looks all sealed, ie no wholes in the flex.

Come to think of it, I don't remember having any issues with cooling the house until the new unit upstairs was installed this year as this is the first summer with the new unit upstairs. We had the downstairs unit the last 3 summers. I hope increasing the size from 2.5 to 3 ton wasn't too much. I will mention the linesets to the owner of the AC company when we discuss this ongoing issue. And will inspect the ductwork again. The vents are very clean. Thank you, if there is anything else you can think of me mentioning to them let me know.

PS can the linesets be fixed or re done correctly?

Hi, Im a tech that lives in Az . It is rather hot out today. I would have the company that installed it make sure the unit is going into second stage. Mabey they have it misswired and its only running the low stage.

Funny you mentioned that. When they were out replacing the Motor in the air handler on Monday on the downstairs unit which isn't the 2 stage. I asked him how do I know when the upstairs unit is running in Stage 2 (the Trane XL16i). He said it should say AUX on the thermostat when cooling in stage 2, we have a Braeburn Model 5200. It did say AUX on Monday when the downstairs unit wasn't working and the upstairs had to cool the whole house, but the AUX did show up all day, I checked as I thought of that too. It was 108 in Ahwatukee. It won't go below 79 upstairs during the day. Now that we have cooled down to 100 both units will cool the house under 79. They seem to not work properly when it's over 100 out.

What is the model # of the upstairs airhandler unit?
    Some Talk, Some Do
    "keeping condensing pressures low and evaporator pressures high"
    Comfort is my goal
    Blog
    Web
    Facebook

Upstairs Model is: Trane XL16i 4TEE3F39A1000AA Air Handler; 4TWX6036E1000AA Heat Pump AHRI Cert. No. 3854901 (12/2010). Braeburn Therm 5200 Downstairs Unit: Trane XL14i 4TEE3F65B1000AA Air Handler; 4TWX4060B1000AA Heat Pump AHRI Cert. No. 1106620 (4/28/2009) Neither unit will cool below 79 degrees in the home. And they run all during the day shuts off for 2 minutes and runs for 45 and repeats all during the day. I timed everything today. The upstairs unit blow 63 at the registers same with downstairs. They are coming out tomorrow afternoon again. If you have any suggestions we can throw their way, please let me know and thanks for all your help. I researched so much in 2008 when I replaced our first 1993 that went out and met with at least 3 AC Companies before choosing one as everything I read pointed to a good install.

Just an FYI: They checked for a leak in the lineset on the downstairs (2008) the day before install with Nitrogen and told me I had no leaks on the day of install.

Just because the thermostat says the unit is in second stage. Doesn't mean its wired up right, and really running in second stage. They need to check to make sure that it actually is.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Actually he told me it's in 2nd stage when Aux is on the display and I haven't seen AUX on the display. I'll discuss that with him today and have him check the wiring. He wasn't the installed who set the Thermostat. Thank you.

What did he say.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

He said the wiring was not done correctly on the 2 stage unit that was installed in Dec. 2010 and the 2nd stage was not coming on. I asked him how can I tell if the 2nd stage is on and he said there is no way to tell he used his guages to tell. Isn't there another way a homeowner can tell? Is there a thermostat I can purchase that will tell me? First he told me if my Therm. said AUX 2nd stage was running now he told me that was incorrect, he made a mistate. HOWEVER, when we set the Thermo. to 78 both units still do not reach 78 they run continuously. At 79 they will shut off for a short time (minutes) but come on very quickly. It was 108 in Phoenix today and we can't cool the house under 79. He said if the line sets were not done properly during install we would have more problems. Hmmm. The temps. set at 79 blows at 69 in the vents with the 2 stage. Downstairs its set at 79 and blowing at 59. It was blowing at 63 with 2 stage after he supposedly fixing the wiring but it's not doing it now. We'll have to get the owner out. Any more suggestion for us.

Isn't there another way a homeowner can tell if the 2nd stage is running? Is there a thermostat I can purchase that will tell me?

By the way he said he was mistaken the Thermo. won't say AUX when stage 2 is running.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast